The Zenki KA-T build thread!

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: The Zenki KA-T build thread!

Post by s13240 »

damn.... at least you know the cause now though. still not something anyone wants to go through.
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TrackStarGT »

well the car is still running great, the smaller turbo feels fun and just as powerful, kinda weird. its a considerably smaller compressor wheel with the same size turbine side and housing. The sound is more fun too. Piston slap is still driving me crazy lol... going to change our the tranny very soon, because of the bad input shaft bearing. Hopfully be able to use some tax money to sink into the car for some stuff I really need to get to with it. Still having financial trouble though and trying my best to not sell the car...its really making me sad to look at and think....I should sell it, i need the money more... but I love this car so much. I have never put so much time, effort, and money into any other vehicle. I have wanted a 240 since I was a little boy, it was a dream of mine to turbo one and now I have done it and feel wonderfully fulfilled :D ...I hate the prospect of having to sell it, but to be honest Im paying more child support in one month than some people make in salary for a month :x and its killing me to have to work so much to stay afloat... sorry for the sob story :( lol
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Your making me not want kids...but do you think even if you sell your car will it help in the long run? Or will you be back at this cross road again in a few years or months?
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I think I would sell the 2010 truck first unless it is paid off. That has to be a much higher monthly expense. Even then, maybe look for something that can do the same job for less money. Then drop the rest into some sort of interest bearing account, pay to get out of a lease and into a cheaper living situation, invest in some training in your career field, etc... That is one reason I chose my current truck. I absolutely LOVE diesel trucks and it is very handy to have for moving stuff. If I ever got in a bind, I'd just park it and drive my $500 Subaru that is basically a moped as far as fuel is concerned. But if I ever needed to move things, the diesel will move them for less fuel than a gasser. It is also in good condition and I could easily sell it for more than I paid for it at this point. Sure, it doesn't make me look wealthy, but I don't feel poor while I'm driving it.

For financial freedom, I would look at ways to reduce overhead. Selling your car is just trading equity for cash. You could very simply just park it and it wouldn't cost a dime. Look at ways to keep more money in your pocket, not line it temporarily. That is probably the biggest mistake people make IMO. Assets are a good thing as long as they serve a purpose and aren't tying up all of your cash! But assets are rarely what is tying up peoples' cash; it is typically day to day transactions, unneeded/excessive personal utilities(a cell phone bill that is way more than you really need), and living beyond current means.

Clearly I don't understand your personal situation so if any of this is redundant to you then I sincerely apologize. Really just trying to talk you into keeping your car because I don't think it will really help you long term.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

well of course you're right about everything you said. I do realize that it is my daily/monthly expenses that are drowning me. However, they really shouldn't be, considering my income level. I have never been one to live outside of my means. Its just giving away 35% of my GROSS income is debilitating, especially living on your own. You're right, my 240 is only an asset to liquidate. Though, the issues I am facing would be cured with this amount of money. It would allow me to pay a few things off that are monthly expenses that we talked about, as well as adjust my child support. It would allow me to work what I am actually scheduled instead of having to work overtime every week, which is giving a false amount of income...this is actually my greatest expense at this moment, it still dwarfs my truck expense(Payment, Insurance, gas, and maintenance = +-700) I am reall trying my best to not sell it. I dont want to believe me!! It is just going to be very difficult.

Making sure I follow your post correctly, but your 240sx expense is +/- $700 monthly? If so, that would cover me and my wife for a month on all of our cars and we would probably have enough left to go get dinner. I'd shop around for :1) better insurance rates and 2)a better loan rate. I'm sure if you find the right insurance company or bank that is hungry for business that they will take you on at a cheaper rate. You also have the added benefit of stating your current situation and asking the competition if they can do any better. If they can, use that as leverage to try and get a better rate from your current company and argue loyalty but state that you are prepared to leave and go to another company.

What do you do for food? I'm a bit of a health nut so food isn't cheap for me, but I try as hard as possible to avoid going out to eat. I usually keep food costs down to $12 a day.

You can get as mad as you want at fixed costs but there is no point in arguing or wasting any energy wishing against something you can't change. It is what it is and you have to focus on things you can change to help overcome the obstacles created by the things you can't change.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602