The Zenki KA-T build thread!

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: My '95 zenki build thread!

Post by TrackStarGT »

I finally got the coils installed and running. They look great and perform well. I opened up the gap back up to .032 and I believe Im still getting spark blow out at high load in second through fourth. Should I have to keep the same spark gap even with these hot coils? Anyway here are a few pics of the install.

I used the stock front fog light relay socket to power them. I had to switch a few of the socket connectors on the relay socket, it works great!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

nice build, when are you gonna post some vids of her running?

also, sorry to say it, i think it's a bit ugly the coils in front of the block, would rather go with how airman did it, at the back.

anyway, good luck!
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

I will get some vids up soon. I can appreciate that, I mainly mounted there for convenience. And the coils will stay much cooler there. I like airmans mounting spot too it's just not feasible with my setup.

airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

TrackStarGT wrote:I will get some vids up soon. I can appreciate that, I mainly mounted there for convenience. And the coils will stay much cooler there. I like airmans mounting spot too it's just not feasible with my setup.
Hmm, haven't thought about heat back there. I will put in a reflector for sure. Thank you for making me think :) I threw around the idea of having them up front too, but I wanted a sneakier place to put them.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

The deflector should hide them, but with the rest of your setup, when you pop that hood, anybody that knows anything will know your running SERIOUS power, so why be sneeky.. ;)

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well I was out last night doing some street tuning and having a blast with my car and all of the sudden I hear a weird noise that doesnt sound good. I was close to home so I parked it and Im sure it is a rod knocking. :( :( :x :x I think I am going to sell it. I dont have the funds and wont for a while to fix it. This is really depressing!!!!

240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

post a vid of it, maybe we can help. don't want you to sell it after you gone through all that shjt to make it as it is. not worth selling it mate seriously
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Oh no! :/

I hope it isn't rod knock. Do you run an oil pressure gauge?
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

I am as certain as you can be without opening the oil pan that it is rod knock. I am also pretty darn sure how it happened too. When I was setting up the LS2s, it didnt quite fire right up. I had some things that I had to figure out before I got them running, which led to what Im guessing to be lots of flooding, which contaminated the oil :( :( :( . I was going to do an oil change the next day too, because I was going to do some maintenance on the car and take it on the "Tail of the Dragon" yesterday...I am heart broken...

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well, I have gotten over the initial shock and depression, I am going to be putting it back up on stands again for phase 2. I found some local k1 rods for 140 bucks. Gonna go measure and inspect them and probably snatch em up. The Manleys and k1s look identical. So if I blow any more bearings/rods I'll have some spares. I'm going to have all seven rods balanced with the assembly. Hopefully I will be able to get away with just the rods and bearings being replaced. I have another good crank so I'm lucky there. Going to get a different clutch this go around. Not impressed with the XTD crap(of course!) lol. This will be a slower rebuild but it will happen!

240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

damn, xtdclutch not good? witch one you bought? just bought mine =S. bah..... anyway, happy to hear that you got your stuff straight. better to swap the whole stuff, rods bearings and the crank. measure it up, polish it and you'll be all good. you're kinda dumb right? getting the idea of selling it while it worth a fortune xD ahahahahahahaha kat4life
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Glad to see you stay in the game. Spun rod bearings suck. I've lost several motors from them...all heartbreaking. It's what shut down my last build for good. Took a huge loss on it, too. But the good news is, pretty much all spun bearings are preventable. Lack of oil/good lubrication is what does it. So now if I ever question my oil at all I am going to do the right thing and replace it.

Hang in there!
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

dumb huh? lol. well I guess, but can you blame me? It was just a reaction to shock. Anyway, got the car back on the stands and started pulling parts. I got what I wanted to get accomplished tonight, which was moving the car getting it on stands and some parts pulled. Anyway, Im surprised at how excited I am to be pulling the car apart. It made me realize how much of the passion for this hobby is in the building and modding, not just the racing, drifting, dragging. The only bummer is the fact that I broke something that should have lasted much longer, but oh well. I get to buy new parts and make it even better than before, and fix things that I skipped or worked around just to get it running sooner. I learned a lot the first build and I will get to apply that to this rebuild. ;) Glass half full!! ;)

S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

aye good stuff my man..when something like this happens its really easy to feel down especially when lots of our money goes towards parts and the fact that something so small can ruin months of work/money. I guess thats half the fun though lol?
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

motor is about ready to come out....again! just doing it little by little with what time I have...tonight, in one hour, I discharged and removed A/C, power steering, turbo oil lines, drive shaft, and exhaust.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Motor is out, cylinder walls have this weird pitting, not like detonation pitting, you can't even feel them, they are about the size of sand granules and evenly spread out, but like I said you cant feel them, the cylinder walls still feel smooth as glass. There is scoring too, but also can not feel the scoring. I will get a pic up tomorrow.

Got the k1 rods for a steal $100 for four.

Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Keep up the good work, I know the feeling when expensive things break. My first motor the timing chain snapped, recovered from that; then my ringlands blew out from leaky injectors and an over boost. I have rebuilt the car from that too. It is extremely disheartening,but each experience adds to your knowledge basis to do it better the next time. It just sucks how expensive mistakes are..:-/. I have learned to take it slow don't rush, have a well thought of plan for your built and have fun! Keep us updated!
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

good to hear that it's under progress, as gotenks said, don't rush, take it slow. dubble check everything then triple check everything. better do it right than to blow the shjt up.

good luck man and have fun taking it apart. (i love it, and i'm not even a mechanic) xD
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

well I got the bottom end of the motor apart and the results are not good. The block seems fine, there is a weird tiny pitting in the cylinder walls on all of them evenly spaced out, very weird. There is also some scoring that cant be felt to touch. The pistons dont look good, I think they may be toast, may not, need some input on that. There was still good compression on all cylinders despite all top rings of the pistons were broken. Here are some pics, any input will greatly be appreciated. Let me know what you think might have happened.

also the rod that was knocking is still round, bolts were still tight, rod specs still specs out with my mics, the knocking was because of the space that was created from the bearing being melted/smashed, still usable??

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

any input on the pistons??? If I were to have the ring gap cleaned up/clearanced(is this even possible?) could they work for a mild build(300hp) I think that the piston to wall was not tight enough either, hence the piston slap.

TariqKa-t
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by TariqKa-t »

wow that's pretty intense!
1995 S14 KA-T "Trucky"
11.2@136 mph
Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpxu7V ... subscriber
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

that pitting is really odd...I'm assuming its not cavitation erosion considering its a fresh motor and you said you can't feel anything? curious if you found out what caused it
My S14 Build Thread
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

after a second glance it looks like its all over the crankshaft too is it not? possibly really fine aluminum particles from the top of that piston that's all chewed up
My S14 Build Thread
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well, don't know if it is or isn't, but i blew an engine up because of poor oil and didn't let her run warm first. engine had the same simptons as yours. if i where you, sincerely, check the bore of the cilynders, it's stange for the piston to damage the intake/outlet dise of the walls. get new pistons, your choice, but i wouldn't even dream of using them. you got the rods so that's done, and the crank you had a spare also.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

yeah I agree with 240sxpt, I would never reuse those pistons with that damage and even if they mic out theres always the potential for damage that isn't visible. Even if its a mild build id save yourself another headache + money and source some other pistons.
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Yeah, that's what melted pistons look like :/ Sounds like too much timing/running lean caused the pitting/excess heat and lack of good oiling to the bottom end caused the spun bearing.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

well I dont know where the lean or too much advanced thing happened, to be honest, I think the pistons got damaged a while ago. The rod knocking is the only reason I pulled her apart, there were no symptoms of burned pistons hence why I even asked if they were reusable, and I think they are. Im not going to reuse them though. Just waiting on my logitech g27 racing wheel to sell and new pistons will be on the way. Then back in everything goes. I think I will be adding an oil cooler setup soon to add capacity and to just help with lubrication.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Man, I hate how dead this forum is.... we need to do something. Does anyone care, is there anything we can do?

S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

TrackStarGT wrote:Man, I hate how dead this forum is.... we need to do something. Does anyone care, is there anything we can do?
Yup, needs a lot of work. I feel like ever since it got this conversion, supposedly an "update" its gone downhill fast...There isn't even a front page or one image on this site lol. It's kinda pathetic actually and unfair for how much info is stored in this forum.
My S14 Build Thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

It died awhile ago before the update. I see a lot of activity on FB groups.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel