not so legal street car build - canada

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
ka240de
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: ka-t street strip project-going NA until parts are colle

Post by ka240de »

yeah all that work just to spray paint the interior lol. it should hold up I wont be crawling around back there.

I found the #1 method for removing the tar is:
clear a small area to the metal by any means,
take a STURDY 1" wide puddy blade,
push up against the spot you would like to remove,
and smack nearby with a framing hammer.

each time you hit with the hammer your scraper will jump foreward and take out a good chunk. it did not take very long. and as you can see it turned out nicely. the scraper I bought at a hardware store and was not sharp, so It didn't scratch.

I like the way it turned out, you can see some of the spot welds didn't come loose all the way and tore the metal when I bashed off the rear seat support. but the car wont see rain and is garage kept anyway, only thing I see is smoke seeping in from the holes I drilled.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 bmw 540i written off
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I love the look of that shell! We're going after the same thing. Our builds are going to be very similar :)

Can't wait to see it tearing up the streets and the track.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

yes ! how do you like the mspnp airman ??
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

MSPNP is the way to go for the price, definitely. I can't wait to have one up and running again.

I might be getting excited, but controlling electric fans, writing code to have boost-proportional traction control, on the fly map switching, capable of running low/high impedance injectors and coil on plug with no extra ECU parts, free tuning software (though the VE-Live function is pretty fantastic FWIW), active support through these forums, all in a box ready to go that uses the stock engine harness and gets rid of the requirement for a MAF and recirced blow off valves, and lets you keep A/C if you have it?

Definitely worth it.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

Yeah i was excited to make my own harness but oh well. Ill have to disect the stock interior harness that runs to the rear of the car and back, only thing there is tail lights haha. And im not running the stock gauges, no radio ac heat and none of the stuff on the sides of the steering wheel or signals. So theres sooo much junk in the harness under the dash too . :( but i definatly want to get it running in these next few weeksbefore i go and mess with the harness. I will post the results of course.
And thanks man ! Im mostly excited about the flex fuel feature, being able to switch between 91 octane and 110 quicker.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Sweet. Yeah, My body harness is going to be pretty limited too. Hoping I don't find any wiring gremlins with what is left, though. Currently, the brake lights stay on and the turn signals don't work o_O
babowc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by babowc »

If you need top end parts, I have supertech valve springs with the retainers for low!!
p00t wrote:. A turbo is basically changing the size of your motor depending on your mood 8)
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

thanks man , but I have a full bc valve train already !

a few cool things lately

the dd has been getting some work done

free set of 275/40-17. 17's it is !

my next project with no decided home yet

patiently waiting
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

Getting really frustrated with this forum. I have many posts, and still have to wait for mods to approve posts, i made my last post like 2 weeks ago!!
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

ka240de wrote:Getting really frustrated with this forum. I have many posts, and still have to wait for mods to approve posts, i made my last post like 2 weeks ago!!
really? I've never had to wait for a post to be approved. PM a mod and see if they can fix it.

How's the build going though??
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Any time you need a post approved, pm myself and I will take care of it! This is partially my fault. I forget to check the moderation queue, so supa or shift is taking care of you :) I haven't found a method to its madness. There isn't any long term solution I can do at this point though :/

Build is looking good :)
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

Yeah i put a set of 27x9.5" hoosier's on the back and lowered the car another 2". The tires are tucked 1/2". I picked up a bunch of parts in saskatoon aswell , dc sport 4-2-1 starter, seats and some other goodies
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

figured it is time for an update with pictures ! i have my car as low as i can get it and i took it on its first drive. i think my ecu is fried but im not going to waste my time in between because spring 2015 i will have my car setup on megasquirt. i also backhalved and tube front ended my car. the 27x9x15 hoosiers are tucked 1&1/2" with plenty of room for a 28" tire. i also replaced my badly cracked knock sensor since the drive. i do not have pictures of the fab work yet as it isnt completed and these are just some pictures i stole off facebook.

also the foxbody is my buddies drift car props to him for something unique in a town of 6000. we participated in a couple events this year and he went from not even knowing what his b.o.v is, to a knowledgable fella. with 4.30:1 gears he could smoke out the bank in fourth gear. 76mm 5.0l @ only 6psi. built engine and 10psi spring coming next year.

onto the pictures.

1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

long time no update. current goals are msx3 and a mig welder.

excuse the messy driveway, we are doing alot of renos on this house !
soch single belt conversion & diy brake booster delete, new knock sensor and currently working on backhalf and a local guy tigs custom fuel cells for reasonable prices. gonna grab one of them wanting a 40 litre cell. just enough to make a safe trip to saskatoon 1 hour away while driving aggressively for cruise nights etc.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

well its been a while since i posted here, ive since gutted the car more, seems like the more im around this car the more metal i hack out. i went full retard and cut the floor out aswell as some other metal in the rear of the car and deleted the superhicas.
Also bought a set of Work Emotion cr kai 4 X 114.3 17x7 +32 :) really excited to mount them when they arrive !!

my DD is now running and today was the last day of my 8 day permit. the truck drove strong the last week and proved itself, but i seem to have encountered a surface prep issue when installing my heads. there is enough coolant in my oil to set off the oil pressure light so i have to tear down and inspect unfortunatly. seems to only be a cross contamination issue, compression is good.

here are some pictures.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

looks neat mate. don't know why but i love the front lights. more badass than any s13 or s14. anyway, get the bigger radiator before going turbo. i blew my hg because of that.

GL ;-)
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

ill have to use an aftermarket half rad to clear the turbo, unless i do a crazy v-mount
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Re: ka-t street strip project

Post by nissanfanatic »

TrackStarGT wrote:it would be very difficult to sand at home, you would have to have a plane sander, big wide belt sander that could sand it all at once to make sure that it is perfectly flat and it should be done with a grit 320 or higher. The cometics and cosworths both have a viton rubber coating to help with less smooth surfaces but they still recommend a certain smoothness. Just make sure that you have those ARPs cranked down to their recommended spec, I might even go to 90ft/lbs, I think they say somewhere around 80.
10mm or 11mm? I stretched 10mm at 75lbs ft with moly lube. Ever since, I have stayed at factory torque spec on 10mm studs.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

good call, i torqued my ka's 10mm arp's to 73ftlbs and my truck stock studs to 63 ft-lbs
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
hpipro4
240sx Wannabe

Post by hpipro4 »

arps say to torqued it following factory sequence in 3 steps to 70 ft lbs. at least thats what my arp paper said.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

nissanfanatic wrote:
TrackStarGT wrote:it would be very difficult to sand at home, you would have to have a plane sander, big wide belt sander that could sand it all at once to make sure that it is perfectly flat and it should be done with a grit 320 or higher. The cometics and cosworths both have a viton rubber coating to help with less smooth surfaces but they still recommend a certain smoothness. Just make sure that you have those ARPs cranked down to their recommended spec, I might even go to 90ft/lbs, I think they say somewhere around 80.
10mm or 11mm? I stretched 10mm at 75lbs ft with moly lube. Ever since, I have stayed at factory torque spec on 10mm studs.
yeah, I have mine at 65ft/lbs. I made this comment before I really knew what I was talking about, My ARP paper had a range of torque specs, I was wrong and should edit that post, I apologize for being responsible for putting CRAP on the internet. :(
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s13240 »

Nice build! The paint came out really nice.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

TrackStarGT wrote:
nissanfanatic wrote:
yeah, I have mine at 65ft/lbs. I made this comment before I really knew what I was talking about, My ARP paper had a range of torque specs, I was wrong and should edit that post, I apologize for being responsible for putting CRAP on the internet. :(
Same deal here.ha Paper came saying torque to 75lbs ft. It lasted for a couple runs at 22psi and I was pushing coolant again. When I tried to retorque one of the studs felt like **** when I was torquing it back down. Sure enough, it snapped before I ever got to 75lbs ft. Ever since, I just torque to factory spec of 60lbs ft. It held up to 530whp for me, though maybe the stockers would have as well... Not sure on that.

No worries man! I just always try to help out where I have direct experience with something working or not working.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

thanks guys !! im definitly going to keep up with this project. i plan on sorting things out and taking on another payment in july of next year to complete the car. it was a long hard road last year and i definitely learnt a lesson about spending more than i make, currently im bringing in about 2400 net and have about 900 to spare, but catching up once your down is the sh*ts. and after a long time things are looking up, alot of wieght off my shoulders hah.
spring plans:
get my 17's mounted
ruca's
gktech hicas lock bar.
Last edited by ka240de on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

well little update i sold my truck and bought a 1995 bmw 540i.
i also brought two heads to the shop today

head #1 (the head i was going to use with my build)
s13 head
was 0.006" warped.
bucket order was lost and it has random buckets from all different ka's in different spots.
idler pulley stripped
brian crower valves hit pistons during assembly.

head #2 (is going to be used on my built engine)
s14 head
perfectly straight
84,000 kms only. (you can tell, no scoring on cam lobes, buckets look news etc.)
bucket order was kept and labeled to go back in origional spot.
drilled shims and no rear cam lobe
helicoiled idler pulley (can torque to 60ft-lbs without worries.
swapping all parts from s13 head to s14 head and checking brian crower valves for straightness.

i can have more faith in reliability and that the final product will operate with alot less friction, also hoping my valves are okay, definitly learnt some lessons !
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

well my rims are mounted!
saturday i pick up my ruca's
and next is a gktech hicas lock bar.
comments welcome ! expensive car doing nothing for me in canadian winter !
the rims were a good deal. worked out to 589 USD for the set with tires.

work emotion cr kai
17x7 +32

1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

will edit photo's in asap!
went out to my buddy's for some parts today, popped his trunk and made a deal on a set of Tien HR series coilovers
pretty excited as i now have total control over ride height and camber.
also picked up cusco ruca's.

rear coils are like-new and fronts have some rust and can clearly tell brake fluid was leaked onto them. the front ones have some flakey paint. but not bad for 240$ and a 300zx front brake swap. (no longer needed the brake swap cuz i bought the 4 lug rims)
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: not so legal street car build - canada

Post by s13240 »

Love the wheels! Great find on the coilovers, I always regretted doing springs and shocks and not having the ability of controlling my ride height.
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

hah thanks man ! yeah its definitely nice to be able to adjust these things quickly. have it at a higher setting for now while i build it and then slam it later. i suppose i owe some pictures still. ill get on that
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

hows the build going man? These damn builds get expensive really fast if your not careful. I wish I could do it all over again but whatever
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534