Street Dancer S14 KA-T Build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Street Dancer S14 KA-T Build

Post by Irresistible »

Hey guys, after like 2 years of looking into doing this KA-T thing I've finally accumulated all my parts and started to install some stuff.

Here's the car it's going on:

Recently put in this ACT 6 puck sprung clutch kit with HD pressure plate. While I was at it, I replaced all the trans seals/gaskets and shifter springs and bushing with OEM Nissan stuff. Also replaced the slave cylinder and the clutch line with a braided SS line.

Also installed my oil pan with a -10AN bung welded on for the oil drain. I plan on trying to retain A/C so I got the bung welded on between the motor mount and A/C condenser. I don't have a picture of that just yet, but I'll grab one soon.

This is gonna be a fairly simple set up:
T25
370cc
N62
FMIC
255lph Walbro
Enthalpy tune with SAFC2 for fine tuning
All stock internals

I'll try to update this thread as much as possible, but sometimes it's tough for me to keep up with taking pictures of everything.

I'm debating removing my emissions stuff (this is a '96 OBD2 car) But I really don't feel like dealing with removing everything because I have no idea what can and can't be removed...
aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: Street Dancer S14 KA-T Build

Post by aaronlee97 »

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

You should be able to keep all of the emissions stuff with your setup and make it work. It will complicate things a bit, but it can be done. Since you're OBD II there is a possibility that you might be able to pass emissions if you run a high flow cat instead of the stock S14 one. Not 100% sure if it will work out but it's worth a try. Keeping the EGR will help with fuel economy as well.

Is it an SR T25? What are you using the car for? How much boost do you want to run? Powerband goals?
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

aaronlee97 wrote:First of all, Welcome to the forums.

You should be able to keep all of the emissions stuff with your setup and make it work. It will complicate things a bit, but it can be done. Since you're OBD II there is a possibility that you might be able to pass emissions if you run a high flow cat instead of the stock S14 one. Not 100% sure if it will work out but it's worth a try. Keeping the EGR will help with fuel economy as well.

Is it an SR T25? What are you using the car for? How much boost do you want to run? Powerband goals?
The reason I'd remove the emissions stuff is in order to slim down on vacuum leak possibilities. Also, the car can't pass emissions because of a wiring problem, so I'm not concerned about that, as I have found a way around emission testing.

Yes it's an SR T25. Car is used for drifting, as well as daily driving as much as possible. I plan on running the stock 7psi for a while and then upping it to 9psi eventually.

Like I said, I've done most of my homework and I know what I'm doing for the most part. Just a little iffy about having to remove all the emissions stuff because I don't want to accidentally remove something I'll end up needing. Mainly confused of how to route the PCV once I delete it, and the valve cover vent port. But I'll be reading up on that stuff some more whenever I get a free chance. Work and school have been running my life recently so I can barely find time for anything car related.
aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by aaronlee97 »

I don't have experience removing the PCV, but I wouldn't recommend doing it. I put a breather filter on mine and my car works fine with it that way. Also I wouldn't recommend blocking off the valve cover vent either. Instead just toss a breather on that one as well.

On my T25 setup I ran through multiple boost levels but 12psi was the sweet spot. Make sure you hook up the water lines and don't listen to those who say you don't need to.

Definitely recirculate the BOV unless you run a blow through MAF setup. You can use one of the smaller intercoolers that the civics use and it will be just fine. It will also fit under your front bumper support making it easy for installation. Use a 3" downpipe and exhaust because it makes a huge difference as well.
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Like I said, I know most thing I need to know already. I didn't plan on completely removing the PCV, I was thinking more along the lines of rerouting it to a breather tank or oil catch can. The valve itself would remain on the motor, I would just delete the lines that connect to the intake manifold.

As for BOV recirculating, I know I need to recirculate it into the preturbo pipe.
aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by aaronlee97 »

Hey man, just trying to help you out. No need to get defensive.

I have pics about how I plugged up my PCV ports on my intake manifold on my build page. If you want to run it to a breather of some sort it will be best to run it using a pump that can keep a vacuum on it. That way you can run both the valve cover breather and it together.

On a side note, don't allow yourself to think you know most things. That way you can learn more. There's a lot of guys with several KA-Ts worth of experience on here and if you proclaim that you already know most of what you need they may not want to bother giving you advice.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

mother ***** so hawt. makin me look weeeaaaaak lol. man i just cant justify the price of that kit haha, glad you did though!

PCV research sucks, just vent to atmosphere. err well a can so u dont skeez up the track. i drilled out the valve on mine and run it as well as the VC to a sapporo can. it works gloriously.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

aaronlee97 wrote:Hey man, just trying to help you out. No need to get defensive.

I have pics about how I plugged up my PCV ports on my intake manifold on my build page. If you want to run it to a breather of some sort it will be best to run it using a pump that can keep a vacuum on it. That way you can run both the valve cover breather and it together.

On a side note, don't allow yourself to think you know most things. That way you can learn more. There's a lot of guys with several KA-Ts worth of experience on here and if you proclaim that you already know most of what you need they may not want to bother giving you advice.
Haha my bad. Don't wanna seem like a know it all, but like I said, I've done a bunch of searching and reading just to avoid being spoon fed, however if I do run into any issues I will be asking. Sorry for coming off as a douche haha
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

sdaigle240 wrote:mother ***** so hawt. makin me look weeeaaaaak lol. man i just cant justify the price of that kit haha, glad you did though!

PCV research sucks, just vent to atmosphere. err well a can so u dont skeez up the track. i drilled out the valve on mine and run it as well as the VC to a sapporo can. it works gloriously.
So if I get a catch can, I connect the PCV valve to it and the valve cover to the other port via hoses, correct? Should I get a can with a breather filter on it or no? Does it truly matter? And if I do it this way, do I still have to connect those to the intake pipe? (Pre-turbo obviously to avoid pressurizing everything)
aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by aaronlee97 »

It's all good man. Just trying to nurture learning for future KA-T bros on the forum! :P

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by aaronlee97 »

I'm running a breather filter on my PCV and one on the valve cover vent as well and it's working fine. Several high HP guys do it as well without issues.
M3LVIN
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by M3LVIN »

Good stuff man! Can't wait to tandem with you this year!!!
iamtheyi
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by iamtheyi »

I will be following your build :). I'm doing basically the exact same thing lol.

Hurrah for Zenkis!

aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by aaronlee97 »

I miss mine.... I might get another in the future.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

PCV and VC to a breather catch can.

if u use a sealed catch u will need to rout it pre turbo.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

So I pulled my valve cover off this morning, and discovered some weird crap inside the head. Idk if this is normal, or if it's something I should be concerned about... Regardless, I feel like I should ask. It's the areas in between cyl1/2 and cyl3/4. In the pictures it's where the wrench is pointing to. Disregard that timing chain guide, I took these pictures before I removed it.

Also, I took a look at all the emissions removal stuff, and I decided I'm gonna keep it for now because I just wanna get my car running for the time being. I'll remove all the emissions stuff a little later down the road.
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by AFKOUKI »

Looks like my head did...just caked on oil?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

PO did not change the oil regularly. Run some Rotella 15w-40 with seafoam and marvel mystery oil for 200 miles. Then change oil and overtime with Rotella, it will clean up.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
aaronlee97
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by aaronlee97 »

Make sure you let your car warm up well using Rotella though. I'd recommend using full synthetic 0w30 for a basic build, but put on an oil cooler to help with the heat during drifting.
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

supakat wrote:PO did not change the oil regularly. Run some Rotella 15w-40 with seafoam and marvel mystery oil for 200 miles. Then change oil and overtime with Rotella, it will clean up.
aaronlee97 wrote:Make sure you let your car warm up well using Rotella though. I'd recommend using full synthetic 0w30 for a basic build, but put on an oil cooler to help with the heat during drifting.
Yeah I was planning on running Rotella 15w-40 already, but didn't really think much about having to warm the car up before driving. Makes sense though because of the thicker oil. Also, I'll give the seafoam and marvel mystery oil a try sooner or later. How much of a mix do I wanna make it? Like how much of each fluid/oil?
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Well I suck at build threads.

Anyway, got the car running today. A few issues....

-Smokes like crazy.. (bad gas?? 8mo. old), open downpipe doesn't help with directing the smoke, so it just filled my garage lol.
-Idle AFR is ~14.7, which from my understanding is good. However, when I give it a little throttle (2k RPM), it drops to 12's, and then when I let off the throttle, it goes all the way to 17+ and the gauge actually stops reading because it gets that high. I just get dashes (AEM UEGO).

Other than that... starts good, idles fine, doesn't die (so far.. only revved to 3k because of AFR leaning out when I let off the throttle)

I even got lucky and set my dizzy timing correctly after having the head off, or at least it seems.

Any help appreciated.... I'm going to tinker with it tomorrow morning, I got it running late and didn't wanna piss off the whole neighborhood.
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

just wanted to throw in my 0.2€ on pvc and I have spent hours on it .....u need to drill out the valve or replace it as its very hard with out a drill press but can be done one thing I have not seen is some one to mention that when drilling that out u have to drill from the big end untell a spring and metel ring fall out other wise it will block it self ....there are many ways to route it but the best way is pvc_to_catch can _catch can to pre turbo filter on valve cover why u may ask? because u always want a vacuum at boost but more than that u want fresh air moveing thru the crank case if u have it pvc to catch can and also vavle cover to to catch can then pre turbo u will have vacuum but not fresh air comeing in thus u will have more residual contaminants than if u have air flow moveing the contaminants out like I said there are different ways to do it but the best way is as stated or a vacuum pump on pvc with filter on valve cover
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

nissan240sx wrote:vacuum pump on pvc with filter on valve cover
I second that
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Okay so the way I have it now, is PCV drilled out and attached to a catch can with a breather filter, as well as the valve cover attached to that same catch can.

I'm not exactly sure if I'm fully understanding what you're saying, but you're saying I need fresh air coming through that system at some point as well? What would be the easiest way to go about this?
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

I think he was getting at having a little air filter on the Valve Cover so the system can get air.
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

`yes that was what I was saying ....u dont want a catch can with a filter of corse if u already have one with a filter it wont hurt but u wont get as much air circulation thru the crank case ....so it should go like this pvc>catch can>pre turbo >vc with just a filter
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Gotcha. Essentially I want something pulling the PCV vapors out.

Would that be the reason it's smoking like crazy? Because of the way I have it all hooked up right now?
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

yes u want something pulling the vapors out and new air in
smoke can be caused by a few things ...firstly how bad is the smoke, does it smoke at idle, does it smoke on deceleration/acceleration, what does it smell like , and what color is it
things that can cause smoke are
valve seals
head gasket
turbo seals
pvc but I have read this happing at high rpm and boost ....burning oil vapor not oil it self persay
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Don't worry about the afr's leaning out when you let off the throttle, it's suppose to. I think those numbers seem right, I have my truck tuned to idle in the upper 13's. I just have a piece of cloth zip tied around the vc and pcv disconnected.