Re: airman's build - 9/6 video time

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: Re: airman's build - 9/1, the day the earth...wiggled

Post by 240sxpt »

you don't have horse power in that you have t-rex power xD ahahahaha. that engine is awesome mate ;-). still find it funny that you go to the fuel station with the car like that. i went without the hood and had to run from the police on the way home, now i can't put her on the street cus they are searching for me xD ahahahahah, sucks though. think i'll move to the usa.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Put some headlights on it and took it out for some tuning last night. No luck getting my speedometer or tach to work though. The tach does bounce occasionally - I think there is some janky dash wiring going on.

She rides nicely, I like these coilovers. Too bad it's ear piercingly loud, I should have brought ear plugs. My exhaust gets here on Tuesday, so I'll look forward to having that.

Tuning still has a bit to go, I feel like another time or two outside and I will have it cleaned up. I am running wastegate pressure (12 psi) at the moment, targeting ~11.5 AFR or so. 16 degrees of timing on 93 octane. I'll pull a video together for you guys today or tomorrow, stay tuned :)
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Gotenks64
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Gotenks64 »

airman wrote:Put some headlights on it and took it out for some tuning last night. No luck getting my speedometer or tach to work though. The tach does bounce occasionally - I think there is some janky dash wiring going on.

She rides nicely, I like these coilovers. Too bad it's ear piercingly loud, I should have brought ear plugs. My exhaust gets here on Tuesday, so I'll look forward to having that.

Tuning still has a bit to go, I feel like another time or two outside and I will have it cleaned up. I am running wastegate pressure (12 psi) at the moment, targeting ~11.5 AFR or so. 16 degrees of timing on 93 octane. I'll pull a video together for you guys today or tomorrow, stay tuned :)

Good update! it takes time on these tunes I am learning. I am trying to get my set right I run rich up top. What is your finally boost level you are looking at?
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

thanks for the pic, I see what he did now that's pretty clever. Looks like a monster man :) Can't wait for the vid!
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Ridealong video - some granny shifting. Running 12psi, coming into the low 11s on the AFRs. Still on 93 octane. Nothing crazy yet, but she runs, drives and boosts!

http://youtu.be/17CZVcBLUmM
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

airman wrote:Ridealong video - some granny shifting. Running 12psi, coming into the low 11s on the AFRs. Still on 93 octane. Nothing crazy yet, but she runs, drives and boosts!

http://youtu.be/17CZVcBLUmM
Nice! My damn waste gate has a 4 psi spring in it so it isn't much fun:( waiting to buy a tial.
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Dang, only 4 psi? Yeah, I can't imagine that being a whole lot of fun. I built myself a little manual one so I can turn it up here soon :)
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

airman wrote:Dang, only 4 psi? Yeah, I can't imagine that being a whole lot of fun. I built myself a little manual one so I can turn it up here soon :)
Its not lol, maybe that's what I need to do. Are your brakes doing fine with having the turbo so close tho the master cylinder?
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
arob987

Re: Re: airman's build - 9/6 video time

Post by arob987 »

Congrats on getting your car on the road,you didn't waste any time putting it together.I still have your old mspnp from your old build and haven't used it yet and you've done built a whole new setup lol ,looks like its pulling good too.
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

AIRMAN!!!! What's up with that race?!!!!
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I found out why the slow spool, haha:

Picking up some sort of locking fasteners from Ace on the way home from work today. Race - sounds like if we're serious, one of us may need a trailer..

Arob - so that was you I sold my MSPNP2 to, I remember now but I totally forgot - I've been admiring your current build and didn't think about you having it! :D
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I used these washers to alleviate my issue.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

On the way home from work I picked up two options - crimped nuts and external tooth washers. They didn't have any metric internal-tooth, only 3/8" which were a hair too small.

I've got the crimped nuts on there now - I'll be damned if those things back off, haha. If they do, well, I will get my hands on some of those guys :)
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Yea, the crimped nut backed out on me. I ended up using the tooth washer with crimped nut.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

the washers supa posted work awesome if they fit correctly we use them on our tongue jacks at work.
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

500hpKA240sx wrote:the washers supa posted work awesome if they fit correctly we use them on our tongue jacks at work.
What size of these is everyone using? I need some for my exhaust mani
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

Where is your fuel filter?
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

hows she running airman? digging the setup??
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

Do u have a oil restrictor on the hx40?
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

whats happening with the car airman, updates brotha!
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I feel bad for the lack of updates to this thread! Unfortunately, there isn't much to go in it..

To torquefreak, my fuel filter is in-line underneath my intake manifold. It's got a 40mic removable stainless steel filter and is -6AN male fittings on each side. I think it's made by Russell? I got it on Summit Racing for like $40. Not sure what makes the Aeromotive version more than twice the price.

Also, no oil restrictor on the HX40. I think most people run them wide open assuming the orifice on the inlet fitting isn't unreasonably huge.

So I'm on my second turbo rebuild - the first one was from melting the turbine blades due to my severely retarded timing from my goofed up idler pulley. After putting it back together, the bolts holding down the clamps holding the cartridge to the turbine housing backed out. This cause the cartridge to move crookedly and begin grinding the turbine blades on the housing. My new set of clamps arrives Saturday.

In the meantime while I wasn't rebuilding turbos, I've been fighting with running a thermostat. Overheats on cruise/constant RPM. Holding the revs at 3-4k for a few seconds and letting off clears the bubble and temp drops to normal. Then creeps back up.

This has made it difficult to spend good time tuning. I finally made it past some really bad spark issue - I was under the impression my cut-to-length custom 10mm spark plug wires were decent, but the spark bled right through the insulation in some places. Went back to stock plug wires and that issue went away, but only to uncover what still feels like a lack of power caused by spark. It could be my spark map itself, though. I need to find the right threshhold. I want to say it's around 20 degrees at 18psi. Virtual dyno only puts me at 300~330whp and I know there should be plenty more at that pressure with an HX40.

I'm tuning WOT to be around 11.6 or so. It doesn't make it easier that my gauge calibration in megasquirt isn't perfect, but I just compensate for it in the tune (I rely on the VE Analyzer to auto-tune my maps).

I'm gapped at 0.024" on BKR7E plugs. Individual D585 coils (no-name, "Herko" brand, said to meet or exceed OE ratings?) at a 3.8ms dwell. I've played with dwell settings a bit still with no noticeable difference.

My ears are open if anyone has any ideas, E85 and individual coils are both new to me. Otherwise, stay tuned :)