seth's zenki build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
614s14
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: seth's zenki build

Post by 614s14 »

I'm running bkr7e's, but I put them in so long ago that I don't remember specifically what I gapped them to. I think I went with as big of a gap as I thought I could run at the time. I'll gap them down tonight and see where I'm at. I did a bunch of highway driving with autotune on last night and I was able to get up to 16 PSI (which is just over my wastegate spring) before it started to get too rich and misfire. I'll try to get a log tonight after some more autotuning.

After reading what you said I think I had the first part of what I was saying backwards. In order to take advantage of the full range of ve values you would want to go as high as possible with your injector cc settings without having to go over the max ve number at any point on the fuel table. That would leave a higher spread between the lowest and highest ve values that you use. Clearly that isn't necessary though as you just said yours are set to 700cc and your car appears to run like a top.

I wonder what effects changing the injector cc/min setting has other that requiring ve table changes.

Everyone - please keep in mind that I'm just learning and I'm not trying to act like I know a lot about tuning or that I'm even sure what I just said is true. Just trying to have fun with this and learn more as I go.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Awesome. Sounds like the rich afr's are blowing out the spark. Get a vid of the car running WOT after you tune. I would like to hear her scream.

Honestly, I am thinking about changing the req fuel back to 1100cc now that we are talking. I think VE should be close to actual VE of the engine. Most na cars only get 90% VE but with boosted apps, we get well over 100% VE. Changing the req fuel will require to change your crank pulse settings. With that being said, I don't feel like messing with the tune again.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Great advice on the spark plug gap, it made a world of difference. I checked them and they were at almost .032" so I gapped them down to .025" and now it'll hold at 16 PSI without the crazy amount of blow out I was experiencing before. I'm still too rich but I'll keep working on that.

For anyone interested here's a log of my drive after the spark plug gap change.
Attachments
2015-04-21_22.20.59.msl
(5.19 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Looks good but drive that thing like you stole it. I see you only hit 5500 rpms. Also, try recalibrating your TPS. Full throttle shows 93% and some times the value goes to -4% on closed throttle. If it changes again after calibration, look at loost cable or TPS mount. If all good, then TPS may be at fault. Your fueling is good. Better to start rich and lean up. Not vice versa.

How does the car feel to you?
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

I'm not sure what's up with the throttle position issue, I've calibrated it a couple times. It'll stay accurate for a while then start to drift. My battery is pretty old, I wonder if it could be from inconsistent voltage.

But anyway the car feels pretty good. It's smooth until I get to the overly rich boost areas and it's just really easy to drive at low rpms going around town. The boost comes quick and it has really good grip for the super old factory size tires that are on it now.

My only concern is the amount of heat that the motor puts out. I don't know if that's normal or if there's something in my tune causing it, but it gets seriously hot. It rained the other day and my hood was turning the rain to steam.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

That is just turbo setups. Just make sure your water temps don't go over 195*. My temps usually stay around 180ish.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

Hey man good work with the build I'm digging it all. I'm planning to get the same inter cooler kit as that I'm only running into s13 cxracing kits but I'm assuming there's no difference??
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Thanks. And I'm running the cxracing s13 sr20 kit. The cold pipe lines up perfect, but I had to cut the hot pipe short and add a 90* silicone elbow from the turbo. I'll post up some pics of how I routed the hot pipe when I get a chance to.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

614s14 wrote:Thanks. And I'm running the cxracing s13 sr20 kit. The cold pipe lines up perfect, but I had to cut the hot pipe short and add a 90* silicone elbow from the turbo. I'll post up some pics of how I routed the hot pipe when I get a chance to.
Thanks I'd appreciate that :)
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

The camera on my phone isn't working so I haven't been able to get any pics of the intercooler piping route. I had to pull the front cover off to get to a loose lower timing chain guard so once I get it all back together I'll take my digital camera out and snap some pictures. But basically it's setup like this:

Hot side: 90* silicone elbow off the turbo, then I cut the hotpipe several inches short on the small diameter side, moved the coolant reservoir to the other side of the bay, ran the hotpipe down an existing hole in the body (I think I had to drill out a few spot welds to expose the hole and then open up the hole a bit with a hammer), cut the second section of the hot side short and used a 90* silicone coupler between the first and second sections of the hot side

Cold side: Removed the battery tray and drilled out a 3" hole. Relocated battery to trunk. This side of the piping didn't need any modification.
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Also:

Does this sound like detonation to you? I'm not registering any knock in tunerstudio, although I just ordered a new knock sensor just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEmQf8VmbA0
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

I was having trouble figuring out how to delete my EVAP system because I just didn't know where all the hoses went to and which ones did what until I found this picture: (S14 1995)

My plan is to reroute the hose that goes from the tee fitting on the tank to the hardline, to a small fuel filter under the rear bumper. In the future I might make my own less complex charcoal canister setup because I don't really like the idea of venting gas fumes to the atmosphere after thinking about it. It's way too late to keep the stock setup, but I don't like the complexity of the stock system anyway.
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

This is what I did:

614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Bye-bye 240. It's totaled. Luckily my power/drivetrain survived, so it looks like I'm gonna get a new shell and swap my motor and tranny in. Too bad I just installed my new radio and speakers, cut out and replaced with new metal all the rust in the floorboards, and laid dynamat. Lol, **** happens, my next build will be done twice as well and take half as long.

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Ouch.

Good luck with your next build.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Ouch. Insurance help perhaps? Shopping for another s14 shell?
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

I'm all squared away with insurance, and I'm keeping the car as a salvage. I haven't decided what to do. I could repair the car myself and get a rebuilt title, or find another shell to swap into and scrap the body. It looks like they are both in the same ballpark as far as money goes. If I repair the car myself, I can start now and I'll get to choose my bumpers and hood and exterior lights, but if I get a shell (if I can even find one) I could save some money if I wait for the right deal. If there were a nice shell for a decent price anywhere close to me I would jump on it, but I just don't know if I'm willing to wait for that. The shell has to be a 95 to work with my MS as well, so that limits my options.
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

I've decided to fix the car and I'm just about ready for the state inspection. Here's a quick video of how my eBay exhaust sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmhzuEL-GSk
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Here's a few pics of the car in its current condition:

New front bumper cover, used passenger front fender, new radiator and lower bumper supports, and that is the bottom of a OEM style CF hood.

New rear bumper cover:

And another perspective of the front end (mainly to show off my other car):
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Glad you decided to keep her!
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
240Life

Post by 240Life »

Diggin the exhaust note :handgestures-thumbup:
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Thanks guys. I'll post update with some current pics and info soon. But for now I have a problem. I've been chasing down an intermittent misfire at idle ever since I got the car running with the MSPNP2. I replaced the distributor, no change. I replaced the two electrical connectors on distributor, still nothing. I was setting my timing last night and noticed that it only ever misses on cylinder 1 (the timing light would fail to light up every time it misfired). Anybody have any idea as to what my issue could be?

Tunerstudio ignition settings for reference:

dwell type: standard
max dwell duration: 3.4
max spark duration: 1.1
spark hardware latency: 15

spark mode: toothed wheel
ignition input capture: falling edge
spark output: going high

trigger wheel: dual wheel missing tooth
teeth: 12
missing teeth: 1
tooth #1 angle: 335
wheel speed: crank wheel
second trigger active on: rising edge
number of coils: single coil
spark a output pin: IGN1

stock s14 dizzy with DIY wheel
idle afr's are healthy
idle timing sits at low 20's
new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor

PLEASE HELP!
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Well 1 problem solved. When i put the injector connectors together, i did a pretty bad job and one of them was shorting/open circuit whatever. Well i replaced all the connectors with prebuilt connectors with pigtails and the random intermittent miss is gone. But im having problems starting now, im not getting an rpm signal/ tunerstudio doesnt say its cranking while it is and it wont start. If i pop start it, it runs great, but obviously i cant always do that. It will occasionally start by the key, and thats only when it shows rpm/cranking is highlighted
614s14

Post by 614s14 »

Little update:

The car starts perfectly now, i rotated the distributor all the way counter-clockwise, and adjusted the trigger offset accordingly. I'm not sure what the root of the problem is, but its fixed for now and I'm thankful for that. Here is a video of the car after messing with launch control. http://youtu.be/hYJHEeXLt10
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

I found the same thing. What it boils down to is cranking speed consistency - if the missing tooth aligns with a place where the crank is changing speed, then it is difficult for the MS to identify which tooth is actually missing. The best tooth#1 angles seem to be in the middle of the piston travel, which would be around 90* or 270*. I could only get my tooth 1 angle to 69 degrees, but am considering trying to intentionally move the dizzy off one tooth to get more out of it.

Just saw this trying to help out another member recently... spent most of the day without spark plugs in and getting crank timing lined up, only to put the spark plugs back in and not get sync. Was forced to find the tooth 1 angle that would sync the car reliably with spark plugs in (and fuel pump off - not trying to start) and then go back and match timing again.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.