my 96 s14 build?

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
KrisfromBelloAuto
Learners Permit

my 96 s14 build?

Post by KrisfromBelloAuto »

Hi guys Kris here with a little start up of my build! Bought the car about month ago my third 240, second s14. Owned a 1jz s13 coupe 3 years ago sold it.. bought a m3.. sold that bought a s14 from a friend for 1000$. sold that a little while after then i finally got into a clean CLEAN shell again and i couldn't be more excited! Not a single speck or rust on this car no accidents and the interior is perfect as is the paint. Anyway lets get to the good stuff

Bought the car from some kid near where i live in Collegeville PA. The motor was out of the car he said it bend 2 exhaust and 2 intake on number 4. I bought just the shell but i got him to throw in the engine and s13 tranny in for free. came with stock wheels and STR wheels with tires.

What he told me:

Block was bored .20 over
Wiseco pistons
Eagle h-beam rods
(i dont know what bearings)
head was port and polished
Brian Crower 264 cams
BC retainers and keepers
BC valves Exhaust standard Intake .5mm bigger
Dont know if he kept stock ka24 buckets and shims or not
ARP main
ARP head studs
90 head gasket
Brand new Competition clutch

parts i have laying around that im going to use for the build

Turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid
Full race Tubular exhaust mani
Percision 6262
Percision 39mm WG
Deatschwerks injectors 850cc
AEM fuel rail
walboro 255
HKS seq bov
Greddy fmic
AEM EMS series 2
New Supertech valve train

Ok so last night i tore the block apart and what i found made me cry a bit inside. The bearings were pretty much non existent the grooves on the rods and crank we so bad. Definitely cant use them. The block has some rust pitting on the cylinder walls and the crank was rusted due to the oil pan being full of WATER, that's right water about a gallons worth. I found a little bit of mixed oil and water which leads me to suspect a lifted head or a crack somewhere. Number 3 piston and bearing were heat fused together i had to use a screwdriver and hammer and pry to get them to separate them. It got so hot that it left burn marks on the metal near the cap bolts. Same burn mark from tig welding (blue ish) in color. That gives you an idea of how hot it got.

On the exhaust cam the lobe for #4 was chewed up a bit and that leads me to believe it either jumped timing and bent the valves on #4 something funky happened to lead to that? any info on that please feel free to comment below.

I plan on building this ka-t this winter and having some fun before i go 2jz next winter.
Attachments
IMG_2023.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2020.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
Last edited by KrisfromBelloAuto on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KrisfromBelloAuto
Learners Permit

Re: my 96 s14 build?

Some more pics
Attachments
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2025.JPG
IMG_2024.JPG
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

lol, those eagles flew to hot xD. it's a shame they get treated like that.is the block still of use?
KrisfromBelloAuto
Learners Permit

i would say the block is still good, could be bored out more to be safe or at least a good honing session it does has some pitting tho so i dont know if im going to reuse it or not. i have a spare block laying around so i might just use that instead.
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Good luck with your build pimp.
I hate to see a good 240 being abused like that, but I am glad that it went to a good home.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s13240 »

Glad you found a clean shell to work on. Good luck on your build!
KrisfromBelloAuto
Learners Permit

KrisfromBelloAuto wrote:Some more pics
A little update!! Block is at the machine shop there was a tiny amount of rust pitting but nothing a good hone couldnt fix.. the block is already .20 over and with the hone it would be around .21 or .22 which is perfect because i wanted to run a little wider piston to wall clearance to help the rings stick to the cylinder wall under boost so im right on the money with that!! Also picked up some goodies, ne JE pistons with Eagle H beam rods and clevite main and rod bearings. Also a Holset hx35 which i got off a buddie of mine for dirt cheap. a tubular exhaust mani im not sure which brand, a oem oil and water pump. New Crower 264 cams, a tial 38mm wg, a circut sport catch can and 2 spare 5 speed trannys just in case. I might build one im just not sure yet. Also a new timing chain kit and entire engine gasket set. and a port and polished intake manifold with 760 ID injectors and a JGS top mount fuel rail and JGS fuel pressure regulator and a random 3 inch fmic.
Attachments
Timing kit :)
Timing kit :)
Rods
Rods
Intake mani with top feed rail and injectors all in and fuel pressure reg all ready for some 93 octane.
Intake mani with top feed rail and injectors all in and fuel pressure reg all ready for some 93 octane.
Front timing cover/oil pump
Front timing cover/oil pump
The Holset. There is no shaft play and all the seals and fins look good but i might end up rebuilding it since the rebuild kits are dirt cheap and its just extra insurance.
The Holset. There is no shaft play and all the seals and fins look good but i might end up rebuilding it since the rebuild kits are dirt cheap and its just extra insurance.
Wastegate
Wastegate
Manifold it'll have to do for start up till i can get a fullrace one
Manifold it'll have to do for start up till i can get a fullrace one
Front Mount
Front Mount
Catch can
Catch can
Crower cams
Crower cams
ka240de
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ka240de »

lookin nice ! keep up the good work. welcome to ka-t.org
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 bmw 540i written off
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

So far so good pimp.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Good progress so far, I had that exhaust manifold before have you mocked it up? Mine kept hitting the BMC.
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
ATL240

Post by ATL240 »

I have had 2 of those turbo mani's in the past and the first one lasted a few months, second only a few weeks. They kept cracking even though I have a flex pipe on the down pipe. Went with a cast Iron manifold now.
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

I have a brand new one that I never used like that.it's put together poorly. used the cast for a while then went cx racing ss. The difference in the turbo and power is like night and day when you switch from cast. Supakat has the same one I'm using. They go for $256 or did at one time. And You see the power he's making with an inexpensive manifold .
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s13240 »

Nice progress! Keep it up.
KrisfromBelloAuto
Learners Permit

The exhaust mani was cheap so thats the main reason i got it.. also have a log style top mount so if the tubular is cracked of the fitment is poor i just the other one. Im getting close so in a few weeks i will start putting everything together. Stay tuned everybody more updates coming soon
shattabigz
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by shattabigz »

nice build
MadMax
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by MadMax »

Looks like an awesome build, and pretty similar to mine, including those burnt up rod bearings/rods lol. What will you use the car for primarily? AEM V2.... I wish they still made those for 95 chassis, im using a JWT ecu for the time being. Pictures of the head work? Sub'd for progression!
KrisfromBelloAuto
Learners Permit

i just want a fun car i can just get in and have fun nothing major for now. And megasquirt the AEM is a litty too pricy for my pockets at the moment considering I'm also planning to go 2jz very soon. I have a .20 over block, pistons and rods, cams and a head cylinder for sale if you are interested. Good luck with your build