p00t's long winded journal from the beginning of time

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: p00t's long winded journal from the beginning of time

Post by NukeKS14 »

Love it! I am building an S14 to replace my 1LE for track duty. Happy to see others pursuing a KA-T for something besides drift. :music-deathmetal:
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Another track day at Waterford Hills in June. Only difference since last time was an oil restrictor added to the turbo to help with my sputtering issue which I think is oil related. There was an improvement so I am more confident I am after the right culprit. I ran the same oil as last time which is definitely overfilled. So before next session I will make sure to fill to the lowest line when I change the oil. I hear others under fill to help with that which I am apprehensive about. So maybe I can make "minimum" work for me.

My favorite shot of the day:

My favorite "off" of the day (actually the only one):
Yes I still have the stock steering wheel.... Yes I am growing tired of the weird way I have to hold it... this might be remedied in the somewhat near future.

Fastest lap of the day (~5 seconds improvement from my first day here):
VIDEO

I could not trail brake into any turn because my rears are locking up bad. I am going to try a Wilwood adjustable valve in the rear circuit and see if I can get an improvement. This is the main reason for the off in my first session (and a lot of tire smoke for a few laps before). They actually penalty boxed me because they thought I had an oil leak which was causing the "show". Nope just someone consciously ignoring the limitations of his car...

The cars handling is pretty "easy" right now. I haven't made any tweaks to my suspension settings. Mostly driver improvements for now.
Last edited by p00t on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

Nice update good to see someone putting their car to use in a productive way. LMAO at the smoke getting you stuck in penalty. That looks a like a fun build to putt around in....... or is it “p00t” around in? LoL
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Super jealous. I'd hoped to be at the track in my S14 right about now. You running an accu-sump on your oil system? I saw what you said about your brake bias issue, but, what anti-sway bar setup are you running out of curiosity? I know, completely different chassis but would you say the car tends to be neutral or oversteer without the brake issue factored in?
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

NukeKS14 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:18 pm Super jealous. I'd hoped to be at the track in my S14 right about now. You running an accu-sump on your oil system? I saw what you said about your brake bias issue, but, what anti-sway bar setup are you running out of curiosity? I know, completely different chassis but would you say the car tends to be neutral or oversteer without the brake issue factored in?
My setup is more under-steery than an optimal one which is intentional. I'm somewhat sure the light flywheel and driveshaft are part of the problem with the braking (more engine braking effect).

I have the stock base model sways. 24mm bar in front and 15mm in the back IIRC. I do have soft springs on my fortune coil overs, I think they are 6k/5k so the rear bar MAY do something but it would be an interesting experiment to disconnect it and see if it moves more towards understeer (and at what speeds). Might also be worth mentioning my front tires are 245/45/17 and back is 255/40/17, tires are ventus RS2s, so that adds towards the under-steer "bucket". I'm probably running a softer setup than most for track use between the springs and tire sidewall.

In general there's mild understeer at low speed (45-ish mph) so in low speed corners you have to "pitch" it a little bit with aggressive turn-in and braking. As speed picks up... lets say around 70ish you start transitioning closer to neutral. Accel brings in the over-steer pretty quickly (yeah we all know that!) from neutral in the higher speed corners. If you watch the video you can get a sense of the rotation in the ~70-80 mph left turn in the beginning of the video very slight under-steer present and light accel through most of the turn. Other low speed turns you really hear the tires because I'm trying to get the most out of the understeering fronts and the rotation is much less. I think this is the natural character of these cars for the most part without too much dialing in of the suspension. So if you are being logical/sane with your setup and inputs there should not be any weird over-steer situations.

I am running the stock oiling system and I'm at 1g in turns so theoretically the oil is at a 45° angle in there.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Ah, thanks for the detailed reply. I remember all of my fastbacks shoveling in the corners a bit but I blamed that on shot bushings and dodgy frames. I never had my S13 coupe running under its own power to test before I shipped off to basic and sold it along with my other Nissan stuff in 'The Great Purge of 08'.

This S14 seems more on the neutral side but it's got some suspension pieces on it already along with blown JIC magic II coil-overs and tired bushings. Getting the full refresh with all bearings/bushings soon (already have the Energy suspension master kit) and I've been doing a fair bit of research on the swaybar end of things. Looking at Whiteline and Progress which I'd probably run the front on the middle or softest setting. The Progress units look well made and come with Heim joint end-links which makes them a pretty good deal IMO.

Planned coilovers are going to be HKS Hipermax IV SP so, not much stiffer at 8k/5k F/R. I'd like to set it up for neutral to mild oversteer handling characteristics ultimately.

Tires are a huge part. Glad you can actually hear them. The OEM Goodyear Eagle F1's that came on my 1LE are as silent as a nun's fart. I walked the rear out around turn 3 a few times when I ran Daytona intl. course and didn't hear a thing. Same situation at Road Atlanta. The Hankook RS3 V-2's I run on the track wheels are actually audible, I like their performance/$ value. Will stick to street tires, probably a square 245 width setup if I can with a 35 profile, until I get a feel for it. You're probably not getting a ton of tire deflection if you're clearing the front strut just fine.

Let us know how the brake bias adjust works out for you.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I'm on a 10 mm spacer upfront to clear the strut. No rubbing on the strut so far with this setup.

The tires are actually RS3... maybe V1s? But yeah they "communicate" well. Interesting how a track oriented car comes with silent tires... Might as well turn the music up!

I would think you would need bigger adjustable sways with those spring rates, more bias of rate to the front increases under-steer. At least that is what "the books" say.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

p00t wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:33 pm I would think you would need bigger adjustable sways with those spring rates, more bias of rate to the front increases under-steer. At least that is what "the books" say.
That Progress front unit is a 3 pt adjustable 30mm bar, the rear being 24mm. The Whiteline unit is 27mm up front for comparison. Buddy in FL with my car's twin is running a Sikky/Whiteline F/R combo (Sikky is 3pt adjustable 32mm) He is running those coil-overs with an Energy Suspension master bushing kit. I trust his judgment but he claims it's very neutral. He hasn't been to the track with it though. I'll ask what setting he's running his front on. Middle I'd wager.

Not sure what brake setup you're running. If I find I'm not happy with my Z32 setup I'll probably land on these w/ the Chasebays BMC kit w/ proportioning valve.

https://www.core4motorsports.com/produc ... -brake-kit

I may have just saved for those from the beginning, but my S14 came with front Z32 alum setup. I snagged the rear conversion for pretty cheap and it works for many others so why not give it a go? I DO need to upgrade BMC regardless; I'm on the S14 15/16 cylinder right now without ABS and fronts like to lock up when I get overzealous.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I'm on the bigger Z32 aluminum brakes all around. Split point on the master for that car is ~350psi while I am at 500 (adds to the problem).

So Z32 front and s14 rear brakes? If you get the Z32 rear you might not have to change your master but there still might be a tiny bit too much up front. Might be smarter to see how it goes with the z32 in rear first if you are doing it anyway. Your master is ~280psi split point FYI.

Makes me wonder if I should have used the s14 15/16 master... I think mine is off of the z32 NA or z31... but then in the end I wouldn't be able to adjust the bias :/
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

p00t wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:24 pm So Z32 front and s14 rear brakes? If you get the Z32 rear you might not have to change your master but there still might be a tiny bit too much up front. Might be smarter to see how it goes with the z32 in rear first if you are doing it anyway. Your master is ~280psi split point FYI.
Yup! and thanks for the info. I'm on the smaller non-ABS S14 brake booster as well. I'll fill you in on how things feel with the 15/16" BMC and Z32 all around setup. I'll be running 2-piece Z33 Brembo rotors up front and either Carbotech 1521 or AX-6 pads for the street w/ Ate Typ-200 fluid. I'll decide what compound to go from there for the track (I run XP10-/12 ->F/R on the Camaro).

>My build thread w/ current progress if you're interested.

Oh! and this! https://www.chasebays.com/products/chas ... 0cab&_ss=r

$45, 10-60% adjustable reduction in pressure. Just have to make a short hydro line and you're all set. If that wilwood unit doesnt work out for you.

Also forgot, you can get an OEM Tokico reman BMC from Rockauto for $60 from a Z31. It's 3 port, 3 flares already installed, and 15/16".

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... inder,1836

if you ever entertain the idea of swapping over. If yours isn't 15/16" it isnt from a Z31/S14 (both 15/16"). Z32 were either 1" or 17/16"
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

2021 is rolling along and I am still hitting the local track. But I have not been driving my car much more than that.

I did a few upgrades since last year:
- Wilwood brake adjuster
- Whiteline Sway bars
- Sparco steering wheel

I also did a few repairs:
- Shifter boot
- Heat shield on LH motor mount
- MAF ground finally figured out
- boost solenoid

The poly motor mount on the drivers side was starting to look real bad on top from the heat. So I made a small heatshield.

My boost solenoid started acting up. It was all corroded inside :( I could not find a replacement. There is a MAC valve that I am trying and the verdict is out on how well it works. I have had to dial in a lot more PWM for the same boost.
The inside of the valve is completely different...

I was 3D printing stuff with polycarbonate blend filament which is close to a string functional plastic for parts. So I starting modeling and printing compressor wheels...

And mounting them in big compressor housings....

I'll spare you the details but they do make a few PSI of boost!

That led into making my own dizzy cap:

Which made it through the Spring unharmed but not through the Summer. I bought an aluminum cover off of a forum member here. A really nice part (which won't melt)! Interestingly that filament begins to melt at ~180°C... which is pretty damn hot.

I actually screwed down my little controllers in the glove box. Yes they have been sliding around in there for a long time... :?

My last track session was in August and I am now down to mid 1.21s best laps and consistently in the low 1.22s which is progress! The Whiteline bars helped a lot. I need to start reading my hot tire pressures and really paying attention to them.

I'm not sure how this happened!

Some track footage:
https://www.dagengine.com/FORUMS/240/20 ... _21_53.mp4
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Nice work! I saw those dizzy caps from tuzzio's guy and they are the business. I have about 1000 things I need to spend my money on first though.

If that's the 3 port MAC controllor I think it is, I'm using the same one on my megasquirt based setup. It works well and is consistant. They really don't like heat though. I've mounted it up near the rear of my puke tank on my S14 but it would probably appreciate a heat shield. I don't have anything to compare it to though.

I had the same exact issue with the boot on my B&M shifter before I switched to Z32 trans as well. Replaced it and it got brittle and cracked again. Even used a B&M branded replacement. Hope you find a fix as it really pissed me off. Z32 trans is way cleaner.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

NukeKS14 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:08 pm I had the same exact issue with the boot on my B&M shifter before I switched to Z32 trans as well. Replaced it and it got brittle and cracked again. Even used a B&M branded replacement. Hope you find a fix as it really pissed me off. Z32 trans is way cleaner.
I got my new boot from "core-shifters": https://core-shifters.com/collections/b ... -lexus-gto

It is a little thinner material than the boot the shifter came with. It helped with the leak but I still think it pukes a tiny bit out of there.

I contacted the site owner just to get his opinion about it and this was his reply:
"The boot is not meant to be an oil seal. It's just a dust cover. That shifter design does not have an oil seal and it's not a venting problem. It's either too much oil in the the trans, the pivot ring of the shifter ( or perhaps other bushings in the trans) is worn enough that oil can easily pass it, and quite simply this type of shifter is not meant for track use or other forms of sustained high-Gs that push the trans fluid to the back for long periods of time."
Yeah that made me want a z32 trans too :P I'm on the fence about it.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

p00t wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Yeah that made me want a z32 trans too :P I'm on the fence about it.
Do it. Dooo it. Do it. :D

The Z32 trannies are cheaper than the 240 transmissions. Why? I have NO clue. The NA trans is the way to go too. Internally they are identicle to the TT. Only differences are flywheel/starter I believe, and speedo sensor gear due to different diff ratio. The salvage yards want less for an NA Z32 trans than comparable TT also. Idk why. I can only vouche for Mazworx but I am EXTREMELY glad I stepped up. The 240 trannies are some of my least favorite manual transmissions of all time. This thing is hands down in my top 5 favorite upgrades for my S14 right behind fully building/balancing the engine and my turbo setup. If I lived closer I'd let you take it for a spin and see for yourself. I believe Nissan is selling new 98' spec Z32 transmissions right now too if you've got a few grand burning a hole in your pocket.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Finally got a TIG welder... Finally put together my mini CNC mill....

Currently working on the next build... More updates to come... Yes wacky **** is happening...

11" fans... should have gone for 12". Replacing the stock electric fan and these should outflow it by more than double the CFM. My old Altima fans would not fit :(

Time for projects to come out of hibernation :occasion-snowman:
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Some pictures from the work I did over the winter. There are a lot of pictures I didn't take of all the details done. I was fighting too much to make the stock tensioners work so I used spherical bearings, new elbow for the power steering connections... etc.

I made new brackets for the alternator (moved to rear most belt), supercharger, and power steering. It was a good project for learning the limits of the little CNC. The supercharger brackets were on the large side of what I should probably be machining.

New manifold. I tried MIG welding with gas this time instead of flux. I also used smaller 1.25" size pipe to make the bends fit.

25G compressor, 10cm housing

So in the end my aluminum skills are almost able to make functional welds. I leak checked the system and there were a few spots that had porosity. But it is a tiny amount. I had respect for those who make pretty TIG welds and I have even more now.

The mostly finished product:

The idea is to have the supercharger make up for the lag of the bigger turbo. I have been driving it around with the supercharger bypassed and it actually is a little more responsive than before, likely due to the short runners in the new exhaust manifold. I am making a little control box for controlling the bypass and some other things.

I have to shield the BMC... I took the shielding off that was there to make a wall type shield but then I drove it around to work a few times, figuring a short drive wont hurt anything. Well I already started melting the cap on the master reservoir :doh: So it is grounded until I get around to that.

So more to come later. It is tough getting free time these days! I feel like I have been saying that for the last few years.
nelson240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by nelson240sx »

This thing is nuts, going to have the instant torque of the Tesla…. Lol. Excited to see what it’ll sound like, all the good noises
KA24E-T 06/06 to 10/09 (T25 then H1C Holset) - sold
KA24DE-T 12/09 to 10/11 (T4/TO4E) - sold
KA24DE-T 11/14 to 8/15 (T4/TO4S BB) - sold
SR20DE-T exo-car build 06/13 to 3/16 (EFR6758)
^ now VH45DE-T 6/16 to 10/21 (Billet T04S BB)
^now KA24DE-T 1/22 to current (EFR 7163)
Miata 1.8 turbo 9/15 to 3/17 (VF39) - sold
KA24DE-T build 8/17 to 4/19 (EFR6758) - sold
12.6:1 Turbo KA-T 4/19 to 7/21 (EFR7163) - sold
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

It's been a year of radio silence here! Sorry about that. Besides the occasional commute to work and fun drives to dinner/ice cream with the family I only managed two track events in 2023. I will post some video next time and I'll figure out how to do some ride along video. There has been so much construction around here I didn't enjoy driving anywhere for the most part.

I did make a prototype controller for the supercharger bypass and expanded it to also control the boost solenoid and water/meth pump:

I also relocated the battery to the trunk since I put the controller in its old spot:

I will make a cover for the battery to make it a little cleaner looking. For now it's the lump hiding under the rear carpet.

While I was running the new battery cables I discovered pretty much all of the dash insulator rubber had turned brittle and into dust and chips under the carpet! It was everywhere:

I did some weight reduction after vacuuming it out which I guess helped compensate for the new battery cables I ran!

Good news is the supercharger concept does work. The bad news is it has not done much to improve the boost response on track, at least on my local track. As long as you can keep somewhat close to the rev range where the turbo is happy it wont kick in. Though there is more tinkering I can probably do to make it respond faster.

The really good news is that on the street it makes huge difference. It really pushes you into boost very quickly like I was hoping. Originally the effect was pretty mild. I figured the main culprit was the stock supercharger pulley on the stock KA crank pulley. As far as I could tell it was only pushing ~6 psi. I was able to find some outfit in Hungary which makes pulleys for this particular supercharger (off of a Merc CLK). After some issues with the fitment onto the supercharger and incompatibility with my original tensioner design I go the new pulley on and now it can boost about 10-11psi until the turbo takes over.

I had to machine the old hub because the new hub splines were too tight:

Final install after overcoming all the obstacles:

Supercharger whine:
https://www.dagengine.com/FORUMS/240/20 ... V_0465.mp4
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I was having trouble with boost control earlier in the year. No it wasn't the solenoid or my controller (I know that would be your first guess!).

No matter what the wastegate control was set to the boost was creep up with RPM... It pulled real good though! I data logged a pull and was surprised I was almost maxing out the MAF:

So likely I will work on a MAF upgrade over the winter since I will be near the limit of the MAF. Crazy that is probably ~470-480hp just before 6k if I am reading it correctly...

I wound up going down a rabbit hole.... maybe the internal wastegate was insufficient.... You see that posted a lot about internal wastegate turbos. There were no notice-able leaks either in the intake system during a boost leak test.

So I yanked the turbo out:

Everything looked good so I ported the wastegate hole out slightly and blended the flow path inside (from the inlet flange side). Figured that should do something:

Put it all back together... and...STILL over-boosting bad. So an evening of checking everything .... finally pulled the wastegate arm off.. and it won't boost at all... So the wastegate was being held shut. I eventually found a teeny tiny leak in the wastegate diaphram. I was and still am surprised that fixing it completely solved the issue. It was so small you could barely hear it or feel it at 20 PSI.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I had two leaks happening. 1 was new. 1 was old.

The new one was from the power steering hose (feed to the pump). I guess there was a compatibility issue or something but after a year with this setup the power steering fluid was sweating through the hose. I wound up replacing it with a new hose but it was so odd. I was initially going to put new hose clamps on but them found the whole entire hose was soaking wet!

The old leak: My nemesis....After my 1st track day in 2023 the tunnel and rear of the trans again were wet with transmission fluid. Not surprisingly I tracked it back up to the shifter ! Even with a new boot and using a new clamp it was leaking.

Well I got fed-up and went on a search for a z32 transmission. I blame NukeKS14 ...Adamky...a whole bunch of you!

I picked up one four hours away in Ohio...

It was not much of a deal but it is very clean and had just over 100k miles on the car it was pulled from.

As I contemplated pulling the trigger on the Mazworks kit I decided to give it one last shot with this stock transmission....

The solution (for now) is a T-bolt style clamp...

It is ridiculous but it actually worked. :mrgreen: I went through my next track day with not a single drop of fluid escaping the transmission! My plan is to go through with the Mazworks kit and have the z32 transmission on standby until the next big issue means taking the transmission or engine out.

Another minor detail... I am on the fence about recreating the exhaust in 3.5in piping. But I don't want it to drone worse than the car has been. It has always had a real deep tone... and drone that has been bothering me more. One source I know is the poly mounts, so I am going to try a rubber mount on the passenger side to see if that helps. Another source is the exhaust itself.

I have two cats in parallel and a single straight through muffler. I decided to experiment with a helmholtz resonator. I made one after doing some internet research on it. The results were pretty good. I designed it with the intent of focusing on 60-70hz... it definitely dialed it back plenty. Not completely but it is much better.

I placed it in the center of the car under the driveshaft. I will incorporate something similar if I re-do the exhaust.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

The last update for now is new wheels and tires. I needed more rubber under the rear so I could get my 2nd gear back.

So RPF1s and Azenis 655 were what I settled on. I kept the 245 width in the front but stepped up to 275 in the rear. I had to re-roll the fenders slightly due to rubbing after my first track event with them but I wound up creasing the front fenders a little. I guess I didn't take my time doing it :/

Anyway here's how it looks now:

I'll try to post some more track footage and other video in the near future.