Cute240sxGuy's KA24DET Build - 91/E85

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Re: Cute240sxGuy's KA24DET Build - 91/E85

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Are those the JGS poly mounts? I had the rubber mounts and they didn't look like that or have any bumps.

The intake manifold looks good. My only question/critique is painting where the radiator hose will go. Have you done this before on other vehicles? I'm always afraid to paint stuff like that because I worry the paint could soften up or something and cause a leak, but maybe that's not an issue?
These are the JGS Rubber mounts

Can't tell from those pictures. The bumps are where the motor mount meats the bracket.

Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

I found the thread that I read a while back about the nubs.

It read:
"One reason those mounts might have failed is if the nubs on them are big and you bolt them on it may sit crooked. I would recommend taking the brackets off to see how they fit on yours or at least grinding the unnecessary nub off. You are supposed to only have a top one to keep the mount straight on the bracket, but these come with two. If you bolt it down as-is it will be crooked. If you crank it down hard enough i could see the mount plate distorting and possibly contributing to the tear-away problem oes experienced. Though he probably drives like a nut as well."
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Got the oil pan bunged. :mrgreen:

Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Got the JGS motor mounts as well as the RB25 XTD flywheel / ACT clutch kit on. Also installed lower temp thermostat.

Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Got a good amount of work done today on the car! Super excited the engine is finally in ! Got some help from one of my buddies today which REALLY helped me get a lot done.

OD of stock KA flywheel and OD of RB series XTD light weight flywheel.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Looking good man.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Looking good man.
Thank you good sir !
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Installed the JGS Rubber tranny mount. Gotta say, it's a pretty beefy setup and I can't wait to try it out on the road! I've now owned the car 5 months and haven't been able to give it a wash LOL! It's been sitting in the garage and I've been working on it dirty. Planning on taking it to a pressure wash and getting the underside. (Didn't bolt the mount to the tranny in the picture)

-- Drilled 7/16 size hole in the (center :angel: ) of the 2 factory mounting holes. This is where the M10x1.5mm studded rubber mount fastens to the cross member.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Did you ever decide on what you're going to use for engine management?
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Did you ever decide on what you're going to use for engine management?
Honestly, I'm not sure yet. I'll be running this motor N/A for a bit to break it in and save up some $ for engine management. I'd love to go with AEM just a little iffy on how parameters and whatnot will work for stock function like A/C. When I had haltech for my genesis coupe, it was FANTASTIC, however A/C was a little iffy. Id like to basically keep all stock parameters with the option to change whatever I needed to in the ECU for tuning.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It sounds like Nistune may be what you need. I've been running it for 8+ years and I really like it. Of course, I wish it had support for MAP sensors and COP. But they did implement fan control and launch control now, which is nice. Also, you can run an SR20DET ECU and get COP. You just have to swap the optical wheel from a SR distributor into it.

Did you do the tuning on your other cars?
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:It sounds like Nistune may be what you need. I've been running it for 8+ years and I really like it. Of course, I wish it had support for MAP sensors and COP. But they did implement fan control and launch control now, which is nice. Also, you can run an SR20DET ECU and get COP. You just have to swap the optical wheel from a SR distributor into it.

Did you do the tuning on your other cars?
I dabbled with tuning on my genesis but to be quite honest, the fine tuning and getting it dialed in was my buddy. I'm thinking NISTune is the way I'd like to go as well however the ONLY thing steering me away is not being able to use MAP sensor. I've thought about nismotronic. Are you running blow through on your setup?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yessir. Blow through Z32 MAF in an aluminum housing. Haven't got a chance to get it out on the road yet though.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Yessir. Blow through Z32 MAF in an aluminum housing. Haven't got a chance to get it out on the road yet though.
You're making me think about NIStune :mrgreen:
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

Cute240sxGuy wrote:
adamky wrote:Did you ever decide on what you're going to use for engine management?
Honestly, I'm not sure yet. I'll be running this motor N/A for a bit to break it in and save up some $ for engine management. I'd love to go with AEM just a little iffy on how parameters and whatnot will work for stock function like A/C. When I had haltech for my genesis coupe, it was FANTASTIC, however A/C was a little iffy. Id like to basically keep all stock parameters with the option to change whatever I needed to in the ECU for tuning.
ac operation on an AEM in any S chassis is as simple as a switch input for ac request and a low side output to ac compressor magnetic clutch. All functions including idle up and previously said inputs and outputs are plug and play in the S chassis aem boxes.

I had a customer with a haltech and a genesis dont let the experience sway you. The AC operation/control in the haltech was fixed with some updates from what i remember. The way that vehicle controls the ac was monitoring the pressures of high and low sides. I'm sure the factory ecu monitored that and had some other timers involved to control it. I ***** hated that ecu. They put it in the engine bay with no way to control the ecu's temperature. In the summer time, it would lock up the ecu and delete the firmware and tuneup. I had to have it sent back to haltech to fix it once. When it came back i had the customer buy an extension harness and we put it inside the car never had a problem again. I will say the fuel maps are huge which is a big plus for any car that has valve timing control. The genesis has a unique/piece of **** intake manifold and makes NOOOOO power/torque without properly tuning the valve control. The valve control is being used right outside of idle and fueling changes are huge in short amounts of rpm.

but i still hate the box and the support structure of the haltech.

If you are building a setup for gas OR e85, ecu options are easier. Just have to have two tuneups.

If you are building a FLEX FUEL setup, gonna have to go with AEM infinity or series 2, haltech, pro efi (good luck getting support if you're not a dealer), motec, ect ect ect
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Fwiw ms3 also does a proper flex fuel input
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

BigLoukaT wrote:Fwiw ms3 also does a proper flex fuel input

aem utilizes some extra flex fuel tables below:
flex warm up enrichment
Flex start fuel tps based
flex start fuel coolant based
flex timing map
flex fuel map
flex o2 target
flex boost target vss
flex boost target tps
flex boost target gear
flex boost target rpm
flex boost target

then offers blend tables based on ethanol content sensor inputs
flex blend timing
flex blend fuel
flex blend boost

Does the MS perform these functions as well? No trying to poke at you or anything just wondering how advanced MS has gotten.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

I honestly DON'T have to have a flex fuel sensor on my car, but I've had then on all my past cars and it made switching tunes a lot easier than carrying a laptop. Anyways, I will be aiming for E85 on this car, however gas is what I will be using to break in the motor before I turbo the motor. I'll have to do a lot more research before I pull the trigger; I'd REALLY like to go speed density and hop over to the IAT/MAP.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I don't blame you. Some day I hope to be able to switch to speed density myself.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

Nice work on the build, your white s14 looked super clean. What front bumper was on that??
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

S14wayz wrote:Nice work on the build, your white s14 looked super clean. What front bumper was on that??
Thank you sir. I miss that car so much; honestly, it's the reason I sold the genesis and got another S14! It's JDM Kouki front bumper
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

Greaser wrote:

flex warm up enrichment
flex timing map
flex fuel map
flex o2 target
flex boost target vss
flex boost target tps
flex boost target gear
flex boost target rpm
flex boost target

flex blend timing
flex blend fuel
flex blend boost

Does the MS perform these functions as well? No trying to poke at you or anything just wondering how advanced MS has gotten.
I'll take a peak around this weekend - I'm on ms2 so no direct experience at the moment and will let you know
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Got a good chunk of work done on the S14. Not too much more updates on the engine however.

Walbro 255 lph fuel pump install
Replaced all fuel lines with new 6.9 bar fuel injected fuel hoses
cleaned out the s14 gas tank (was sitting for months previous owner)
dropped the rear sub frame with all arms/diff
installed s14 energy suspension rear subframe bushings
removed auto driveshaft

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I get so jealous every time I see a freshly painted subframe with poly bushings.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:I get so jealous every time I see a freshly painted subframe with poly bushings.
I know that feeling all too well! That feeling is what made me do this to mine today haha. :mrgreen:
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

I got more goodies ! Got a text from my dad today that read "come over after work, I've got something for you". Show up, and what do you know?! He picked up a z32 N/A R200 VLSD for me! Removed the z32 axles and took the diff to the pressure was to clean it up nicely! Will be painted it to match the subframe/car. Also, will be changing the fluid to Redline GL-5 75W90. Picked up 5 bolt J30 axles for the diff.

Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Got the rear end all put back together and installed back onto the car today. Done with that now I can start back on the engine and finish putting the accessories on and firing her up !

Z32 R200 VLSD, J30 Axles, Z32 5 lug hubs w/ Ebrake setup, Z32 rear brakes, R33 ebrake cables, Moog ball joints, and Energy suspension poly pushings

Also installed New Moog rear ball joints on the car.

BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

Greaser wrote:

flex warm up enrichment
flex timing map
flex fuel map
flex o2 target
flex boost target vss
flex boost target tps
flex boost target gear
flex boost target rpm
flex boost target

flex blend timing
flex blend fuel
flex blend boost

From poking around the latest MS3 release, I can see that the ability to blend two fuel maps and two timing maps based on measured %ethanol is there. There are various options for alternate warm up/crank/afterstart/AFR/Stoich on the screen grab. Some go away if a true blend strategy is selected on Mode (presumably because the blend correction accounts for the difference). Also, found that boost vs speed OR gear can be controlled with a blend table according to ethanol percentage.
ms3_dual fuel.JPG
on topic: that differential came out very clean! You're going to shame me into putting some extra effort into my pumpkin now that I've installed my kaaz 1.5 way and haven't swapped it in yet :mrgreen:
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Cute240sxGuy wrote:
adamky wrote:Are those the JGS poly mounts? I had the rubber mounts and they didn't look like that or have any bumps.
These are the JGS Rubber mounts

Can't tell from those pictures. The bumps are where the motor mount meats the bracket.
I was wrong. Mine had the bumps and I just didn't realize it. I grinded them down but they were on there with the bumps for over 5 years.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

BigLoukaT wrote:on topic: that differential came out very clean! You're going to shame me into putting some extra effort into my pumpkin now that I've installed my kaaz 1.5 way and haven't swapped it in yet :mrgreen:
Haha do it ! You'll thank yourself later. 8)