I call it the RX-247.

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
TwoDoorDime
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

I call it the RX-247.

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Hello all. So my car is still n/a because I'm working on getting the kinks worked out before I turbo it. I am currently in the middle of swapping a ka24de into a 1987 Mazda rx-7. As you can imagine rx-7 guys aren't super stoked about the project. If I hear "it's a truck motor" one more time.....I don't get how that's a valid argument against the ka24de but not the Chevy 5.3....oh well.

So here is the story. This is actually my parts rx-7. I have two others, one that currently has a partially installed 1jzgte and another that has a built, ported, big turbo,13b. Makes 500+whp. I bought the ka car as a shell for 400 bucks. I sold the S5 tail lights and the kyb agx's off the car for 500, as well as the exhaust for 100. I paid 400 for the complete swap out of an s13. I didn't intend to use this motor in this chassis, the motor was actually for my 510 BUT since my ka24e-t is alive and kicking in the 510 I'm not going to rip it apart.

So anyway, I test fit the ka and it wasn't bad. A little notching, a little welding, some mounts, and boom motor is installed. The shifter even comes through the stock rx-7 shifter hole and even the stock shifter boot. The factor rx-7 radiator will be used for cooling. I still need to build an exhaust but at the moment the engine fires right up and runs decently. It's by no means finished BUT it was a huge relief to hear it fire with the push of the chrome $8 pep boys button.

My plan for the car is a small turbo kit with 200-220whp. I want to learn to drift with this car. I feel much better taking risks in this low budget sex machine than I do in my rotary car. Anyway, enough babbling, pics.

Stock hood fits no problem.

The interior is pretty bare bones. I had stripped the chassis getting ready to sawzall it to pieces. The seat is an f1spec that is probably 5 years old I had sitting outside in my side yard...PERFECT! The steering wheel I had laying around from when I used to collect them.

Just for my own satisfaction I'll include a pic of one of my other rx-7's. It's a terrible picture, with my thumb in it partially and my buddies horrible camaro too but you get the idea of what the car looks like. You can also see my other blue rx7 that had the 1jzgte in it in the back ground.
Last edited by TwoDoorDime on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Youtube Channel Second Chance Builds
TwoDoorDime

Re: I call it the RX-247.

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Ok, so far the car has all poly bushings, a rebuilt turbo II diff, Turbo II brakes, braided brake lines and couple other small things. I need to purchase some sort of stiffer, lower suspension. Not sure if I'll go with lowering springs and adjustable shocks, or full coilovers. I'm not the type of guy who adjusts his coilovers a million times. In fact both my other rx7's and both my 510's have coilovers and I set the height 1 time and haven't touched any of them BUT coilovers have become so inexpensive I might just scoop some up.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Sounds like a cool project, but the pictures are tiny and if I click them to go to the full size image, it opens Imageshack, but the photo never loads.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Well that sucks. Thanks for letting me know! For me they opened up fine, I changed hosting sites and edited my post. Hopefully it's good now!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Much better. I've always been fond of FC's. I've wanted to do a V8 swap in one for as long as I can remember. I'm diggin' the stance and body kit on your other FC. That's about the only body kit for FCs that I actually like.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Thank you! I agree, it's the only kit I like too. All my others are stock body.

I actually am doing a v8 swap on one of my other ones right now. Just a 302/t5 because I can't afford ls1/t56 but should still be fun. I really just like putting random motors in stuff. Fc's are so cheap there is no reason not to use one in my opinion. There have been 2 on Craigslist as shells (not in bad shape) in SoCal for free in the last 6 months.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

There is nothing in this build not to love!
Keep up the good work man. Very nice.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Hey thanks for the encouragement man! I'm glad someone gets a kick out of the car too! I'll make sure and update as I go along. I've got some bills to catch up on and some parts to buy for my 302 fc project but after that I'm going to make turboing this turd a priority. I figure since the car is a TII it's gotta make at least what a stock TII made....plus 50whp :D

Tomorrow is my day off so I'm going to attempt to get the pedals functioning. As of now I have the brakes working so that's 1 pedal down. Clutch and gas pedal are what I'll be working on tomorrow.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

I figured since this is ka-t I'd post a pic of my ka-t car haha. Ok so the goal of this car was simple, cheap, ugly, fast. I got the chassis for free in HORRIBLE shape. I had 8 other 510's at the time and a stock pile of spare parts. The car ended up getting all the worst parts. Since then I sold all but two 510's. I can't seem to let go of this one despite its piss poor condition. I accidentally built a car I am completely enamored with. All said and done I have under $1000 in this car but a ton of time, anyways enjoy. The intercooler being obnoxious was on purpose and because the intercooler was free off my MkIII 1jz supra (where do you think my fc got its 1jz ;) I don't like supras haha)

This is in the middle of the metal work.

signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by signals13 »

Bump, wondering if you ever continued this project?
maniac240sx_7

Post by maniac240sx_7 »

sick builds!! glad you didnt stick a V8 in them. keep up the good work
240in