My ****

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Re: My ****

Post by Greaser »

adamky wrote:Updates?
Prob another week or two till i start to work on the trans again. Some shop cars have deadlines i have to meet so .....
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

RosadoRacing wrote:If your a good driver and have a shift light you can be just as consistant as an auto. I have won many bracket races and beat alot of auto cars. One event that i made to the finals n loss due to Breakin an axle. I dialed in 10.90 and ran 10.91 10.93 10.92 basically .003 of my time n beat 2 auto cars that day.
That's impressive.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

s14fiend wrote: :violin: I'd be willing to bet he is wasting more time and money on R&D for a stock automatic ka trans and converter that is NOT going to support the power level and consistency of a "real" drag car/ "real serious time slip car." Whatever that means to you I don't know.... (is that what his goals are even or are you putting words in his mouth? I just figured he is just enjoying the versatility aspect of his build). All I know is that in the long run I consider that to be working double in the "real time slip drag race car" aspect..... but like I said "to each his or her own" I have been neutral the whole time. I stand by my previous comments of it being less costly going with what works and has been working for many years instead of potentially breaking sh*t and spending double to fix it to get it to work the way you want it to.

I DO think it's cool though this man has stepped up his game as far as configuring the stock transmission at one point that was going to be my goal also to make the most power out of the Stock KA transmission possible..... but then realized that those goals weren't realistic for me and the constraints in my life in addition to the readily available aftermarket i.e. GM auto trans adapter kits 300zx trans adapter kits VQ trans adapter kits. I can keep going on and on but I hope you get my drift.
Word. Is that the world's tiniest violin playing the world's saddest song? Beautiful song. Do you accept tips or deez?
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

adamky wrote:
s14fiend wrote: :violin: I'd be willing to bet he is wasting more time and money on R&D for a stock automatic ka trans and converter that is NOT going to support the power level and consistency of a "real" drag car/ "real serious time slip car." Whatever that means to you I don't know.... (is that what his goals are even or are you putting words in his mouth? I just figured he is just enjoying the versatility aspect of his build). All I know is that in the long run I consider that to be working double in the "real time slip drag race car" aspect..... but like I said "to each his or her own" I have been neutral the whole time. I stand by my previous comments of it being less costly going with what works and has been working for many years instead of potentially breaking sh*t and spending double to fix it to get it to work the way you want it to.

I DO think it's cool though this man has stepped up his game as far as configuring the stock transmission at one point that was going to be my goal also to make the most power out of the Stock KA transmission possible..... but then realized that those goals weren't realistic for me and the constraints in my life in addition to the readily available aftermarket i.e. GM auto trans adapter kits 300zx trans adapter kits VQ trans adapter kits. I can keep going on and on but I hope you get my drift.
Word. Is that the world's tiniest violin playing the world's saddest song? Beautiful song. Do you accept tips or deez?
LoL it really wasn't intended with that in mind.... but if that's the case then yeah it's there to complement your SAD and pointless argument... :D .
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

s14fiend wrote:
adamky wrote:

LoL it really wasn't intended with that in mind.... but if that's the case then yeah it's there to complement your SAD and pointless argument... :D .
Lol, I probably shouldn't have said that, but I couldn't think of any other reason why someone would use the violin smiley if not to be a smart@55. What was the intention if not that?
s14fiend wrote:To each is own, but I still believe its easier and less costly to build a manual for our cars. You simply need a good multi plate clutch and some upgraded gears a drive shaft and your good to go
A twin plate clutch is ~$1000 or more depending on which one you choose. The OS Giken complete 5-speed gear set for the SR20DET is $4000. Unless you know something that I don't, you're looking at around $5000 for your suggestion.
As far as I know, no one else has pushed the KA or SR auto trans, so what are you basing this idea that the auto will be more expensive off of?
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

Lol, I probably shouldn't have said that, but I couldn't think of any other reason why someone would use the violin smiley if not to be a smart@55. What was the intention if not that?
I meant it as in increasing the volume to emphasis my argument about going with what works already and being able to still make a competitive drag car without spending as much TIME and R&D aka breaking **** to get the SAME outcome.
A twin plate clutch is ~$1000 or more depending on which one you choose. The OS Giken complete 5-speed gear set for the SR20DET is $4000. Unless you know something that I don't, you're looking at around $5000 for your suggestion.
As far as I know, no one else has pushed the KA or SR auto trans, so what are you basing this idea that the auto will be more expensive off of?
My point is that it doesn't have to be automatic to support the "real time slip drag car setup" that you suggest. News flash an Automatic Rebuild will cost upwards of $1000 AND IF you add shift kit and all the other supporting modifications your already digging into Transmission Swap territory.

I already stated that it's a cool concept and that I like it.... I don't understand what part of that you don't get?

I just called you out and I disagree with your statements on making a "real time slip" car with people switching to Auto.... you can still get a manual transmission swap and do no lift shift and it will hold most of the power levels that these engines will give them to begin with.
RosadoRacing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RosadoRacing »

Z32 trans nlts will beat a glide n c4 anyday!!! 1.3 60ft what auto can beat that?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

s14fiend wrote:I meant it as in increasing the volume to emphasis my argument about going with what works already and being able to still make a competitive drag car without spending as much TIME and R&D aka breaking **** to get the SAME outcome.
Never heard that one before. The "smallest violin" reply is used online a lot and I've never seen a viloin emoji used like you're saying.
s14fiend wrote:My point is that it doesn't have to be automatic to support the "real time slip drag car setup" that you suggest. News flash an Automatic Rebuild will cost upwards of $1000 AND IF you add shift kit and all the other supporting modifications your already digging into Transmission Swap territory.
How is "upwards of $1000" automatically assumed to be more expensive than $5000? You said:
s14fiend wrote:"You simply need a good multi plate clutch and some upgraded gears a drive shaft and your good to go...."
You didn't say anything about a Z32 trans swap or I wouldn't have even posted my first reply to you. You said "some upgraded gears" which to me implies that you're talking about upgraded gears in the stock transmission. OS Giken makes "upgraded gears" for the SR trans which is what I assumed you meant. Why else do you think I said:
adamky wrote:A twin plate clutch and upgraded gears in the trans isn't going to be cheap at all. I'd be willing to bet the auto trans setup that he is running is a small fraction of the cost of that. A Z32 trans would be a better option since the gears are almost twice as thick as the KA trans gears. But, it's also about double the weight.
If you were talking about a Z32 trans swap, then why didn't you just say say that? We wouldn't even be having this discussion if you had said that.

s14fiend wrote:I already stated that it's a cool concept and that I like it.... I don't understand what part of that you don't get?
Here is the question that I keep trying to get you to answer:
adamky wrote:...what are you basing this idea that the auto will be more expensive off of?
This was my main issue with your first statement and that is the ONLY thing that I have debated you about in any of my statements in this thread. Unless Greaser has spent over $5000 already, then your assumption that a built KA auto trans will be more expensive than "a good multi plate clutch and some upgraded gears" is based on absolutely no tangible evidence whatsoever.

I also never said that an auto would be faster in all situations. I said:
adamky wrote:There's a good reason why everyone switches to an auto trans when getting serious about time slips. It's hard to get the same consistency out of a manual trans that you can get out of a well-setup auto.
RosadoRacing wrote:Z32 trans nlts will beat a glide n c4 anyday!!! 1.3 60ft what auto can beat that?
Who is it that you are arguing with??? My only statement to you so far has been "That's impressive". I never stated that an automatic KA or domestic trans would be faster than a 5 speed. I stated that it is hard to be as consistent and that's the reason serious drag cars switch to auto at a certain point. Clearly, in your case, that might not be true. At least, not up to this point. You're a fantastic driver to get such consistent ETs. I certainly couldn't achieve that myself with a 5 speed and I am sure I'm not the only one.

You have done amazing things with a 5 speed and that's truly something to be proud of. I never said that your car would necessarily be faster with an auto at your car's current power level. However, as you push that car faster and faster, there will most likely be a point where an auto will be more consistent, and just as fast if not faster than the 5 speed. Otherwise, why do almost all drag cars that run 7's or better in the 1/4 switch to auto?

So, I don't even get what you and I are debating here? What statement of yours have I disagreed with? My issue with S14fiend's statement was about the assumed total cost of a built auto vs the cost of a manual trans with "upgraded gears".
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

As far as 7 and 6 sec Cars most of the time an auto is better for 90% of the drivers out there as far as consistency goes but, pro stocks are 5 spd and there prob the most cosistant cars in nhra. And as far as being faster 5spd prevail in most cases as they accelerate faster and rob less hp. Pj quick bits who has a sr in a coupe ran 8.56 with a z31 trans. Decided to try a c4 and ran 9.0s. Im not trying to Argue bro just droppin some knowledge and info for other ppl who wanna go auto as i was one of those ppl as well thinkin i could be faster with an auto till i did research. I do agree with u tho autos r more consistant thats not a debate. But if u have a shift light use nlts and shift smoothly every time the car will run almost the same.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Oh, sorry. I thought that you were directing that at me. Maybe you can give me some driving lessons some day? :) Without launch control, my times are always really inconsistent.
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

2 step is huge when getting consistant 60ft. And what i learned with consistency is using nlts helps alot and shifting smooth instead of banging the gears helps.
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

Sorry i mixed up launch control and 2 step. I never used launch control. I don't think we need it when using slicks. Prob benefit More using it on the street.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

RosadoRacing wrote:And what i learned with consistency is using nlts helps alot and shifting smooth instead of banging the gears helps.
You're referring to flat shift, correct? I finally have launch control available with Nistune, but they are still working on implementing flat shift.
RosadoRacing wrote:Sorry i mixed up launch control and 2 step. I never used launch control. I don't think we need it when using slicks. Prob benefit More using it on the street.
You're running bias ply, I'm assuming?

My problem is that I tend to launch too aggressively and get wheel hop or wheel spin off the line (street tires). And the one time I went to the track on DR's, I did a clutch drop and snapped an axle and blew both airbags on my third pass. I haven't been back to the track since. But I realized recently that I had some play in my diff (shims were mixed up) that may have caused the axle to break due to drivetrain shock. I fixed the play in the diff, so with launch control and a little more clutch slip, I hope to have more success this year.

Sorry, Greaser :text-threadjacked: I'm looking forward to updates once you have the time to mess with it again.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

RosadoRacing wrote:Z32 trans nlts will beat a glide n c4 anyday!!! 1.3 60ft what auto can beat that?
A th400. Our shop car does 1.20 60 fts
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

Greaser wrote:
A th400. Our shop car does 1.20 60 fts
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

Lmfao that **** too funny! I was referring to irs s13 and s14. Fastest ive seen so far was 1.28 60ft with a z32 trans. But if u did 1.20 with a irs s13 or s14 than i stand corrected and u must be running a ton of nos to launch.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

He's running IRS. Video says a R230: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEdDuRpgFAY. Time slip showing the 60ft is at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXO8b9rhsA4
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

That wheelie was ***** crazy!!! Def using nos for a launch like that. I thought u couldnt put a r230 in a s chassis? As far as the 60ft i stand corrected but its a 2jz wit prob 200 shot of nos lol
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

you can if you modify the subframe to accept it.
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

Pj makes about 900whp with his sr and launches with no nos that 2jz prob makes around 1400whp and uses nos to launch. As far as this website goes pj set up is closer to everybody here than that 2jz set up just saying.
RosadoRacing

Post by RosadoRacing »

Matter of preference. Maybe his car would do better numbers with a g force 2000?
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

our car makes mid 900's to the tire in the summer heat and right at 1000@32ish psi in the colder months. we figure 1200-1300 @the crank.

also arguing about the nos is about as smart as me saying pj's car aint **** without a turbo.
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

@RosadoRacing:

LoL, I think these guys are in politics (one of them swears by the automatic look up build thread, runs a manual transmission) cause they say one thing and then actions speak another.

Then proceed to compare apples to oranges to be correct in addition to quoting things that suit them.

I would love to continue the debate but I know I already proved my point and I don't like to repeat myself and talk in circles on a subject.

@KY JELLY :D : I am not naive and don't want to keep falling for your troll trap.... I won't compare an Automatic to a Manual with you if you get all butt heart about it.

In addition, I would never compare a 6 second promod transmission to an upgraded factory manual transmission all I said is that you can do the same .... WITH the same engine for a lot less money aka VG,VQ AUTO OR Manual Swap he is already doing an Auto rebuild on the same factory automatic when since 2006 Turbo240 has been swapping for a 300zx VG Auto.... I still like the concept but it's more expensive to go against the grain in this scenario and if you cannot comprehend that then I won't mention the subject to you anymore. I have been done with the debate and I am confident that I already proved my point with you.... and I'm not gonna pull up a wiki search of previous quotes to knit pick posts. In addition does putting a PROMOD built 10k+ transmission in your KA-T sound very intelligent? Neither is building a stock 240sx transmission that you can't even get an aftermarket torque converter without getting a custom one made. Come on lets be logical here. YOU know what I meant if you review my posts so don't go around knit picking stuff to try to make me look like an A55hole. In addition I like the system the @Greaser did and that I understand his reasoning in doing so.... that's what project cars are for. In this scenario I think the only thing consistent and will be an issue is various trial an error scenarios and wasting money on a stock ka24de auto transmission to have it support power that MANY other transmissions can do with ease. Yes the dog gears are expensive but no where near half the cost of building a high horsepower Auto. There are MANY other transmissions used in Drag racing other than AUTOMATIC like Lenco, Liberty and G Force Clutch Less transmissions and they are "CONSISTENT." :angry-cussingblack:
Last edited by s14fiend on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

Precision industries and Level 10 make higher stall multiplate lockup converters.
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

Greaser wrote:Precision industries and Level 10 make higher stall multiplate lockup converters.

Kudos to you on your quest to build a fast automatic ka-t I look forward to seeing your results and progress :dance: ....( still.... I stated "custom torque converter" in my post and on both websites you speak of say they make custom torque converters).
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

you do realize youre a stubborn asshole right?
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

Greaser wrote:you do realize youre a stubborn asshole right?
The "american dream" has been lost because people have become lazy and don't fight and stand up for what they believe in. I have the freedom of speech and I intend to use it they way I please.... I shouldn't have to conform to what someone else want me to believe..... I am a human being just like anyone else..... do you think I am going to change my opinion I stand by what I say and I don't tread on others so don't tread on me.
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

Do I still use the factory spring in the modified tensioners? The lower one in particular.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

yes in both.

unless I ***** up and tapped it off center a little and the spring wont go in with the adjuster installed. In which case i would have chucked the adjuster up in a lathe and taken some off till the spring fit.

That spring really is there only for a 1/4 of the applied pressure (once the engine is running and oil pressure is applied).

why? can you not put the spring in?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Hmm, I dont think eitber of mine had springs. Oh well, I can't see how it would be a big issue.