Wes' S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Wes' S14

Post by wesamiss »

Old picture host problems so pictures start on page 2.

Howdy ya'll!
This is my second build thread, as my first one was my Haggard Hatch a couple years ago. I planned on building and boosting the hatch with Arias Pistions, Eagle Rods and a S14 SR20DET T28. But the build came to a stop once Uncle Sam wanted to station me in Japan. I felt silly preparing to move to a place where a built KA24DE would be rare and similar in power to most SRs. So I sold it to a good friend of mine, Tyler. Tyler isn't the kinda guy that lets a project car sit around for too long. We also talked about how he'd have it done before I moved so I could see the motor I built running and driving around. Well.... Japan didn't want to provide the medical coverage my wife needs, this meant I was to stay put for now. After the news I decided I'd buy a S14, its newer and cleaner than the haggard hatch.

The week I got it, I put Kouki side skirts on.

Got some BC coilovers for Leigh, painted her side skirts, and got some 350z wheels.

I've always been a drift fan-boy so I started to drift in local events.

This was what I wanted to do, just drift. No angle mods, no power, just a decently clean S14 drifting. I have only been interested in reliability and keeping it looking good. Because the interior was not 100% I decided to refresh it.
Dyed the carpet and headliner. (not pictured, S15 sun visors/rear seats washed/crackless dash)

Not too long after I started to work on redoing my interior, Tyler calls me up with some awesomely terrible news. Tyler says to me that he wants to sell his car, the car that he put my motor into. I nearly have a panic attack cause I know I wont have money to buy it for what it is worth. This is were it gets good for me, he offers to make a deal with me and we shake hands. I now own my old motor!

The white S14 has rust, therefor everything as far as the motor will be swapped over to my red car. The white car is running on an Enthalpy tune and SAFC. I absolutely hate the tune and ordered a Megasquirt DIYPNP kit. This gives me a lot to do...

To do:
---Red---
-Finish interior (done)
-Swap motor and all accessories
-Fuel hoses (E85 prep)

---White---
-Interior
-Motor
-Sale prep

---odd stuff--
-build MS DIYPNP
-swap heads
-skullworks oil block

---sell---
-white car
-enthalpy ecu
-s14 to s13 jumper harness
-SAFC neo

---buy---
-navan side skirts/rear valances
-1 piece drive shaft
-pay local shop for modded knuckles

The plan is to get the built motor in the red car and running on MS + E85.

Till next time!
Last edited by wesamiss on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
WES
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Wes' Clean S14 "Leigh"

Post by adamky »

So, do you just hate S14 front bumpers? :D I didn't even see it mentioned on the to-do list.

I didn't realize when we were talking about your old motor that it was already boosted. Makes more sense now. I see you decided to go back to the E85 plan. You'll like it. It's easy to tune and smells great. Just remember to run some 91+ octane through it occasionally so you don't end up with a bunch of gunk buildup like I did. Does MS support flex fuel sensors and the ability to auto-adjust the tune based on ethanol content? The latest feature updates to Nistune include flex fuel sensor support and I would love to have that set up one day. Needing to have my laptop with me in order to swap tunes was a bit of a pain.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
wesamiss

Re: Wes' Clean S14 "Leigh"

Post by wesamiss »

My red car bumper was taken off cause I kept clipping my front end at the drift events as well as it got caught on the trailer as I was unloading my car at one point. The white car bumper is off cause it needs to be cut to fit the intercooler, but I won't be doing that cause it's getting swapped soon.

Yeah my motor as in all of my build parts. All he had to do was clutch, bov, ecu, and go. He upgraded to 550cc and decided to go with enthalpy tune.

Supakat said he uses lucus e85 cleaner. As far as I know MS can do FF. Here is some information on it. https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... Fuel_Input
You really can't beat 450 bucks for a tunable ECU.

Does anyone know if MS can be set up like this video at 7:35? Cause that would be groovy. Unless it does it for you.
https://youtu.be/KpfqbIZNRVE
WES
wesamiss

Re: Wes' S14 "Leigh"

Post by wesamiss »

Photo update

The motor when I was putting it together.

Vacuum and idle.

Oil pressure

AFR

The SAFC was set up to pull lots of fuel and it was still running terrible. It is to my understanding that the SAFC also retards timing? So I decided to reset the SAFC and the car drove pretty great aside from it being a bit lean.
The AFR underboost/spool was 12-13 with the settings at 0. I believe that to be a bit too lean, which is strange because the reason the tune was trying to pull so much was due to the enthalpy running too rich. How would the tune go from rich to lean just by resetting the SAFC to 0 across the board? I believe the vacuum to be good, someone please chime in if it looks funny.
Last edited by wesamiss on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WES
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Finished up my red car's interior
Ethel helped out a bit.

I was looking over the white car in preparation for the switch to MS and found the catch can was about half full of fuild.
Turns out it was mostly fuel and water.
Is it normal for freshly built motors to have this much water/fuel/oil get caught in the catch can? Well the catch can is doing its job but is this normal break-in type stuff? The catch can is routed like this:
Crank PCV + Valve cover T-d off to catch can to preturbo intake

Any and all help or input is greatly appreciated!!
WES
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

A better question to ask would be. How long did it take to fill that catch can like that?
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Uhhhm maybe a hundred miles? Or under.

I've asked around and got loads of different responses. Some say it's okay, some say it's really bad. Worst case scenario is I find the issue to be something that will require a rebuild. If that is the case I will move the turbo goodies on the oem rebuilt motor in the red car and play around with 370cc and 7 lbs of boost.
I have a few ideas what it could be but won't know 100% until I can get it running normally. Cold catch can plus hot air equals condensation.

Megasquirt is supposed to be here today! And of all days the mailman isn't here at his usual time...

UPDATE:
Yippie got my parts in, just gotta assemble it this weekend.
-MS DIYPNP
-Boost control solenoid
-IAT sensor
WES
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Oh those seats look fantastic! Great build man. I'd say the blow by should subside much more after your 500 mile breakin.
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Cute240sxGuy wrote:Oh those seats look fantastic! Great build man. I'd say the blow by should subside much more after your 500 mile breakin.
Thanks buddy!
That's what I've been told. I really hope that's how it works out.

Anyone know if they can help me on step 3? I'm a little confused. https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... -assembly/
WES
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Are you using the stock coil with power transistor? If so, ignore the high current drivers - those are only used for dumb coils (controlling 2 wire coils with the ground switched side directly or coils that don't have built in high power transistors/ignitors, or dumb coils that are using high power transistors outside of the box)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love my diypnp.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

progress

Hoping to have it completed by tonight and in the car tomorrow or sunday.
WES
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

So I finished assembly on Friday night around 11pm. I only get to work on it a few hours a day.

I found out on Saturday morning that my laptop doesn't have a serial port. This brought the switch to a hold until I could get an adapter. I tried all over town for a short adapter, as the the usb causes noise? I found one at radioshack that was 6 foot long, way too long. I'd rather wait a week to get one from diyautotune. Well, I was at whole foods picking up some pesto to surprise the wife and the best buy was right next door so I walked in to see what they had. To my surprise they had a 6 inch adapter.

Which brings me to loading the firmware on the ecu!
It works!

Going to try and start the car under control of the megasquirt tomorrow!
WES
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

Nice! On stock cas disk or DIYAutoTune's 12-1?
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

You got it together pretty quick and if you get it up and running with minimal effort, I'm going to be impressed. Depending on how it works out for you, I might look at selling my AEM and going with this instead. Besides, I like anything labeled "DIY"!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

BigLoukaT wrote:Nice! On stock cas disk or DIYAutoTune's 12-1?
I will be using the stock disk until this weekend when I can order a 12-1. I hear there is kickback? with the stock one.
adamky wrote:You got it together pretty quick and if you get it up and running with minimal effort, I'm going to be impressed. Depending on how it works out for you, I might look at selling my AEM and going with this instead. Besides, I like anything labeled "DIY"!
Thanks! It is pretty simple to assemble. But I did have a difficult time trying to figure out the firmware and what not.

I was unable to start it yesterday because I don't have a vacuum source run to the ECUs MAP sensor yet. Most of the good spots for vacuum on my manifold have been welded so that puts me in a pickle. But I think I've got a good idea. Use the EGR temp sensor location, while I work on a new manifold, got one sitting around gotta make it pretty, seal what needs to be sealed and tap what needs tapping.

Other than vacuum source everything is good, IAT is installed, wide band installed,
Hope to get the vacuum thing handled today.

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the EGR temp sensor?
WES
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

I occasionally got kick back on stock stock disk, but I blame that on a small battery and slow crank.
Just try to get a timing light on it as quick as you can to see where you're lining up
I ran a full two years I believe on the stock disk
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Finally got the car "started" with the megasquirt. It is awfully rich and inconsistent idle. But I am replacing the spark plugs and getting the timing set to match then I will be having a friend come over and tune it for me. I had no luck getting to lean out, except with injector dead time, priming pulse to 0, and cranking pulse set to 50 ish. no fun, and i dont wanna damage anything. If any of you guys want to hook a brother up with a decent base map to allow me to drive my car to my friends house so he can actually tune it, thatd be real cool

8.8:1 CR
t28 (7psi)
550cc
MS DIYPNP
91 oct (thats about as good as it gets around here unless i decided to go e85 or venture around to find 93)
WES
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

You should be able to start with the DIYAutoTune basemap scaled for your injectors via reqfuel. Your biggest problem is likely to be mismatched timing. I wouldn't worry too much about it until timing matches. You can rough it in with plugs out (allows cranking speed to be faster) AND ALL FUEL SHUT OFF (disconnect pump fuse and injectors). Do not have open spark with the possibility of fuel vapor!
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Update:

I got the car to start on the Megasquirt, but had to turn it off because it was running so rich. I was afraid I might wash the rings or spin a bearing. So I changed the oil, got new spark plugs, and am ordering a new cold pipe. The problem with the current cold pipe is the IAT sensor cant be plugged in because the sensor is literally touching metal (I'll get a picture tonight), I am afraid that would cause the wire to get damaged. Once I get the new cold pipe in and the new IAT bung welded on I have plans to have a local tuning guru come by the hezzy and set me up a base tune and teach me the basics. This way I can tune it myself when I, inevitably, upgrade something.

Also this weekend is a drift event in my area, so I will be spending money on that vs the motor. I rather have seat time than have my project running.

Anyone know where I can get a good base tune for my set up?
WES
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Saturday came around and I got to drift a bit.
On out way
Random shots
https://youtu.be/ZYm72GE3iWM

Got this in the mail on Saturday. Got around to installing it last night.
While trying to install the trigger wheel, I had problems with the distributor that was on the car so I removed it and replaced it completely. While attempting to find TDC I decided to peek at my pistons, number 1 piston had about an inch of fuel sitting on top. Like WTF. So I got some vacuum hose and appropriately used a vacuum to clean out all the fuel.
Cylinder #2
The problem...
I really hope that this wasn't why it was running rich for the previous owner. He said they had to lean out the fuel to get it to run good. If they leaned out due to a leak then it might have made it too lean in the other cylinders and damaged something. The oil was drained a few days ago. I'm going to do a compression test on it and see if the other cylinders are low. Also I will be shipping off the injectors for cleaning and flow testing. I have been looking at sending them to Deatschwerks. Does anyone have any recommendations for this service?
WES
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Pulled these off the KAT car. They be for sale, 650 shipped.
Put these in Leigh finally.
Put these shoes on.
Got the cold pipe in and welded the IAT on!!
WES
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Coming along nicely!
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

The photos are bothering me because they keep getting cut in half. Where can I host photos fo free? I'm currently using Facebook to host.
WES
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

wesamiss wrote:The photos are bothering me because they keep getting cut in half. Where can I host photos fo free? I'm currently using Facebook to host.
Photobucket or Flickr
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Some progress is better than no progress. The manifold I have has been molested quite a bit. As in there are not many vacuum ports. Everything that wasn't needed was welded. So this leaves me with 1 last option for a boost gauge source. I tee'd off my FPR for my MS, and I don't like the idea of using a vacuum source for more than 2 items. There is one for my brake booster and one other one for my boost controller coming from my hot pipe. I want to be able to monitor boost via a gauge so I set up this little number. It uses the EGR temp sensor location.

Also, still waiting on my injectors to get back. Got my trigger wheel installed and cold pipe with new IAT bung.

Adam, using flickr now. But it doesn't seem to work.

Update: using photobucket now and testing the image posting

Last edited by wesamiss on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
WES
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

FWIW, I've only got 2 ports on my intake manifold in use. There's a pneumatic push-lock for the BOV, and then I've got a JGS vacuum block on the brake booster line. My FPR, boost gauge, boost controller, and a Hobb's switch (for my Boost-A-Spark) are all running off the vacuum block. With the supercharger setup, I had one port for the brake booster (pre-supercharger) and one port (post-supercharger) for everything else. I never noticed any problems with it.

I personally use Photobucket for everything except videos.
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

I got my injectors in finally! I sent off 8 ea STI 550cc injectors for cleaning and flow testing. I borrowed a friends timing light with intentions of getting the car started Sunday night.
I only had to install injectors, verify timing, reset/adjust tune, crank and fire.
Installed
Checking for static leaking. Pass
"You might wanna check to make sure they are all firing before you try to turn it over."
#3 injector didn't fire, strange because it was just "cleaned and flow tested" So I switched the plug wires to see if that could possibly be the problem. Still didn't fire, then I swapped it out with another one from the other 4. Still no skeet skeet.... maybe during testing they got stuck closed? So I hooked up a wire to the hot wire on the alternator, and pulsed the ground on the injector to simulate firing. It didn't "mist."
I finally got 4ea working injectors out of my original 8ea.
Then I retired for the night to watch Game of Thrones, I'm only on season 4 episode 5. You clowns better not ruin it for me.

During the joy of installing my injectors (which should have been a 15 min job on the slow side of things) I noticed a few things. I have never been a big fan of Deatschwerks and this evening solidified my beliefs about them and their quality of product/service. But here are pictures of their "cleaned and flowed" service.
Sealed in package still
Not in package so you can see the corrosion better.
Literally flaking off.

In the end I didn't get the car started, damn it. Contacting Deatschwerks today to see what the deal is. I'd like to send them off to Witch Hunters or Injector Dynamics for a clean and flow test. But money is tight at the moment cause I gotta fix the daily driver. My tie rod is terribly loose so I'm going to replace all my front end steering components with ones that have more angle.
WES
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

That sucks man. Hopefully Deatschwerks will do something to make up for what seems like less than ideal quality control (to put it nicely).

BTW, you do know that the injectors are installed upside down in the rail, correct?
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Yes I know they are installed upside down, haha.

DW, said pulse them with direct 12v to see if that unseizes them. Like uhhhh really? I'm going to call about it again tomorrow.
WES
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

Sending injectors back to deatschwerks! They are taking care of everything. Shipping and re-accomplishing everything.

Also I gave up on trying to learn to tune for now and I tried to figure out the start up timing. I had it backwards since I installed the trigger wheel.... yeah I'm pretty dumb sometimes. So I paid a local tuner to get it started and he made me drive him home with the car. He wasn't playing around. Had it running in 25 mins and tuned for an hour and a half after.

Cold start video
https://youtu.be/nlCXTZBhEck

Just walking around being a goof.
https://youtu.be/RWeFIBC_Wsw
WES