240gt

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
johnws6
Learners Permit

240gt

Post by johnws6 »

Hey everyone im new here and new (at least owning my own) to 240s. my car is a 92 ka24det. its a somewhat rough car still but getting better. I haven't drove it much yet just a few test runs. the guy thought it had a blown head gasket (I didn't see any bad spots although I didn't look very hard). bad clutch, it had an ebay special "puck from hell" unsprung 6 puck (most of the friction material was broken off so it was just grabing the rivets mostly. also didn't have a pilot bearing in it (installed one) when I replaced the clutch with a full face sprung clutch. and random little problems that is mostly ricer problems that can be fixed easily.

as far as mods. at least from the things ive seen so far.
welded diff
ebay coilovers
terrorist (isis) radiator, with electric fans
massive probably 4 inch exhaust. no muffler
greddy turbo (fairly good, with decent no name manifold)
really bad intercooler piping(exhaust pipe from some old truck probably, fm isn't bad though)
something is apparently soldered to the ecu for programing

the work ive done so far.
new timing chain stuff
painted all my engine pieces after cleaning
lots of sandblasting of the little parts
all new seals
added water cooling to my turbo
cometic 1.3mm head gasket
arp head studs
polished intake and some of the head
meagasquirt pnp2 standalone
7 layer exhaust manifold gasket
new clutch
15 inch temporary wheels for more acceleration/torque
aem wideband gauge
cleaned out the tranny with new synthetic gear oil twice. it was a mess
cleaned interior and engine bay

new plans for the car are to make a GT looking car.
center exit exhaust
rear mounted wing
good seats
good coil overs (at a good level. if you worry about speed bumps its too low for me)
lower compression solid built engine
co2 intercooler spray and nitrous
individual throttle bodies
more gauges
5 lug
zx brakes
zx diff
leather interior
oem or skyline steering wheel
low compression rebuild

as far as who I am as a person. im a car lover (doesn't matter the make as long as its good), uti grad, was a mechanic for a little while and went to working at a semi-famous hot rod shop that builds high end customs (you might have seen some of them on velocity channel like the Dart SL) now I just work on mine and my friends cars.

you can see the one white and flakey intercooler pipe that I hadn't sandblasted/repainted at the time to show some of the junk that I had to work with
broken timing guide vs new one
johnws6
Learners Permit

Re: 240gt

Post by johnws6 »

some cars ive gotten to work on when I was a fabricator

my other cars
83 bigblock
72 cb350f
02 transam and 83 v65 magna café project
Porsche 944 with chevy v8 lotus7 style project
johnws6
Learners Permit

Post by johnws6 »

light polishing on the intake
lots of dirt

halfway through the second cleaning of the outside of the tranny. when I started you couldn't tell it was aluminum

engine refresh

old dryrotted gauges vs good aem

cleaned interior, need to clean more though

picked up the coilovers and put on smaller wheels
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

The car is not in too bad shape.
Good luck with the build as you seem to be off to a damn good start.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
johnws6
Learners Permit

Post by johnws6 »

SoundEfx wrote:The car is not in too bad shape.
Good luck with the build as you seem to be off to a damn good start.
wish I would have taken more pictures when I got it, it had enough rice to feed a third world country
the guys switch for his electric fan was twisting 2 wires together, I didn't do much better because I just put a switch between the wires and wrapped it in electrical tape but that's just temporary
johnws6
Learners Permit

Post by johnws6 »

well I figured out how to tune it, and got my tag and insurance. I was driving it for probably 20 miles and it started to blow smoke out the valve cover more and more, my friend behind me called to say it was also coming out the exhaust. I don't think I burned a hole in the pistons since I was averaging between 12 and 13 to 1 afr. normally when I see a problem I shut the car down immediately and find the issue but I was frustrated. so I drove it home, when I got close I floored it till I couldn't see anything and the windshield was covered over in oil. time to take it apart and do the rebuild of a 200,000+ mile engine
KaLucas
Learners Permit

Post by KaLucas »

What seats are those?!? They arn't the beige leather, or the brown cloths...
johnws6
Learners Permit

Post by johnws6 »

KaLucas wrote:What seats are those?!? They arn't the beige leather, or the brown cloths...
I thought they were factory, they bolt up like normal. are they different?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

johnws6 wrote:engine refresh
Did a machine shop resurface that head? The reason I ask is because the edges around water/oil passages and headstud holes look "rounded off" (top left corner of pic), kinda like they do when someone resurfaces a head at home with sand paper, scour pads, etc. Cometics need a very flat machined surface to get a good seal.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

No, he used 3m roll lock wheels to clean the surface of the head which is not a good idea. Those roll locks are too aggressive with the speed of the air tool. you will get high and low spots with them. Its much wiser to use a wire brush that goes on the end of a drill. Will clean the head without taking off much material off the head.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
http://www.enginerebuild.net
"Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Ah yes, roll lock pads: https://www.amazon.com/IIT-82035-Tool-S ... B00C0X7QMK
I had a brain fart and couldn't remember what they were called but that's exactly what I was thinking. Personally, if the head is already very flat and you don't plan to resurface it, I would only use a carbide super scraper on it, like this: http://www.carbideprocessors.com/super- ... oCoHDw_wcB. A friend let me use his a few weeks back and they are fantastic. You just have to make sure you keep them very flat to the surface because you can gouge an aluminum head with it if you're not careful.

I would be very surprised if you don't have head gasket leaks with it like that. Both the head and block need to be very smooth and very flat to seal correctly: http://www.cometic.com/technical.aspx
Like this:

The local machine shop only charged $55 to resurface the head for me like that. Well worth it to avoid headaches after it's running and boosting. You need to make sure that you mention that you will be using a MLS head gasket so they do it correctly. Most shops anymore do all heads like this, but I always mention it several times, just in case.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
s13johnny
NooB

Post by s13johnny »

im about 99% sure my buddy owned this car about a year ago