Lee's Garage S13 Hatch (Grip/Daily Build)

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
LeesGarage
NooB

Lee's Garage S13 Hatch (Grip/Daily Build)

Post by LeesGarage »

Hey everyone, I wasn't going to post this on KA-T, but recently decided to throw a small snail on the KA, so here it goes.

My name is Randy, and I like playing with cars. Lol. I’ve owned 5 S-Chassis prior to the two I used for this build, and am apparently a glutton for punishment. Let’s get into the fun stuff.

I was browsing craigslist when I stumbled upon a clean S13 fastback for what I thought was a killer price. Called the owner, and found out it was an original owner car with a couple bent valves. AAA was towing it home for me the next morning.

Excited to once again own a S-Chassis, I hit the forums looking for parts to get this thing back on the road. I found a Zilvia member selling his recently wrecked car with loads of goodies. I was towing that home the very next day.

Lots of work followed…….

and I ended up with this (headed to the junkyard (I tried to give it away, but couldn’t find anyone who wanted it))……

and this.

Remember, my project car still has an auto trans, and bent valves, so it was now time for a drivetrain swap.

Let’d kick this off by yanking the motor/auto trans

Stupid auto trans…….

Cleaned up the bay.

Much better

Last edited by LeesGarage on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Lee's Garage S13 Hatch (Grip/Daily Build)

Post by adamky »

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. Your message somehow got automatically flagged as Spam. I approved the post, but I can't seem to delete the message at the bottom.
*** Forbidden. Contains contacts. Need manually approve. Message seems to be spam. ***
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
LeesGarage
NooB

Post by LeesGarage »

Thanks adamky. I was able to delete it. Loved your supercharger build, and turbo build is great too!

Installed a man pedal.

While installing the clutch pedal, etc, I found a bunch of butchered wiring under the dash, and decided to swap the entire harness. This would also make the manual swap more complete.

Trying to make it as oem as possible.

Messy

I purchased all new oem hoses and gaskets to install on the KA24DE before install, and found a not so pleasant surprise after pulling the intake.

This led to ripping the head off, and……. (#1 cylinder)

So, the head went off to a friend (port work/valve job), and the block was sent out for a refresh. Meanwhile, I started working on the rear subframe.

I hate these!!!!

Fresh powder, new bushings….

Here is the completed subframe with all new energy bushings, whiteline subframe bushings, new ball joints, and new SPL arms.

Installed the rear subframe and was very excited to see the car back on the ground.

About this time I decided I wanted to paint the car, so off to the bodyshop it went.

Stripping her down.

Everything aside from the hood and fenders was stripped, but I didn’t get photos of it all.
LeesGarage
NooB

Post by LeesGarage »

Decided to swap to 5-lug. I used J30 front hubs and z32 rears. Had to machine a about 7 thousandths off of the J30’s to press the S13 bearings into them.

New wheels and tires. WedsSport TC105N in 17x9 +25 with 255/40R17 Hankook Ventus RS3’s

Here they are on the “mostly” primered car with ride height and alignment pretty close to where it will end up.

This brings us to where the car is currently. Hope you enjoyed the read so far, I should have engine updates soon.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I really like where this is heading. This is clearly not your first rodeo.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
LeesGarage
NooB

Post by LeesGarage »

adamky wrote:I really like where this is heading. This is clearly not your first rodeo.
Thanks! I've had my fair experience of bolting things on machines. lol

One of my main goals with this project has been to do as much as I can personally, and it has turned into an amazing learning experience.

I was looking for someone to do some portwork, and a friend introduced me to an older gentleman who has been building heads for ~40yrs. After speaking with him a few times I came to the realization that he didn't want to just build my head, he wanted to teach me to do it myself. :coold:I'm extremely grateful to be able to learn from someone with so much knowledge! It's disappointing that so much of this knowledge will be gone when he's gone. I wish I could just plug a usb into his brain and download it all!

Today we finally got into the actual portwork :naughty:

I am including some pictures of his shop ( a two car garage with walking room only) because it is filled with all sorts of treasure.

Entering the shop.
ImageDSC_0058 by randalllee06, on Flickr

You can see he takes things pretty seriously.
ImageDSC_0064 by randalllee06, on Flickr

He's back in the corner working on the lathe.
ImageDSC_0057 by randalllee06, on Flickr

Heads, cams, and valvetrain components everywhere!
ImageDSC_0059 by randalllee06, on Flickr

Highly organized tool box. He knows exactly where everything is though, no joke.
ImageDSC_0060 by randalllee06, on Flickr

The mill

Black magic happening.
ImageImage