Toxic's S14 Revival

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Toxic240
Learners Permit

Toxic's S14 Revival

Post by Toxic240 »

Very long story short, this car belonged to one of my best friends, had been down since 2009 after blowing multiple turbos and getting burned on a lot of deals in the process of him trying to get it running. It sat for several years till almost getting completed in the end of 2014. My friend and I were sitting at Green Turtle (for those of you who have been to MD or Ocean City may know the chain of them that opened) after another failed attempt to get the car started at the shop he left it to be finished at and he was browsing on eBay and essentially said "screw it im buying a FD" and looked at me, told me I was buying the S14 from him...
I bought the car, despite being in a bit of a financial struggle my self as all the work at the machine shop I was at had pretty much dried up. I towed the car home in October from the shop he had it at after he paid up his bill and brought his RX7 in to get a once over there.

How it sat for a while:

Ended up putting it under a tarp for a bit while I dealt with other parts of life till I could come back to it. Changed jobs and blew up my daily so I had to get a new vehicle and recoup the down payment I put on that.

Fitted some BC coilovers and sold off the Tein Flex's that were on it

Also found that my subframe bushings were completely destroyed so went ahead and ordered up some PBM subframe raisers. But first, FIRE!

Moved in with my girlfriend and we moved twice in 6 months. The 2nd move I was able to bring my car out of storage from my parents and bring it to the house where I washed it off and pulled the engine.
Scored a Navan bumper for the car when I had bought it and picked up a new JDM rear bumper from work for cheap.

Engine out of the car:

Now the fun bit of this car... I was told this was supposedly a engine built with CP Pistons, Eagle rods, and that my friend had BC Springs & retainers in it when he did cams.

Well when I pulled the engine from the car, getting it ready to take to the machine shop, I discovered.... Thats no Eagle rod....

Truck loaded up with short block, head, and front cover to drop off the MBR for a look over and see what we needed.

Fast forward a few months as my buddies machine shop was absolutely slammed and I was not in any rush to deal with the engine as I moved AGAIN, this time into an apartment with a small 1 car garage with my girlfriend and one of our other roommates who is building his J35 swapped Integra.
Cliffs; MBR got engine apart, all of the bearings showed signs of severe wear, the piston/rod combo was definitely not CP/Eagle, it is Ross/Pauter

Pistons did show some skirt wear from piston slap, looked like previous shop got a little too big on the bore diameter. Called up Ross and they recommended to send the pistons to Line2Line Coatings for their clearance control coating, so off they went and a week later I had pistons back.

We were joking that day about just going over the top since we were already going from the 10mm factory diameter studs to 12mm RB26 studs, that we should just O-Ring the block while we were in there. Well, that joke became reality real fast... This is before the final honing of the cylinders

While the machine shop was going over fine tooth details before assembly, I brought them the missing piece to this puzzle. Cosworth headgasket

Engine all assembled and wrapped up:
Ross (89.5mm bore 8.5:1 comp) pistons w/ Total Seal rings & L2L skirt coating
Pauter X-Beam rods
King XP Series Main and Rod bearings
Cosworth Headgasket
ARP RB26 Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
Kelford B cams w/ BC Springs and retainers
JWT Cam Gears

Will update with the rest through the up coming week and as more progress is made.
Last edited by Toxic240 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
S14 - S366SXE / Bosch 210lb Inj / AEM EMS - WIP
JustAlex
NooB

Re: Toxic's S14 Revival

Post by JustAlex »

Coming together nicely!! Any updates?
jaysol92
240sx Wannabe

Post by jaysol92 »

Looks good! keep at it!
Toxic240
Learners Permit

Post by Toxic240 »

Everything has been insanely crazy with work so lately I have been doing what I can without making a huge ruckus. I am building this in a small 1 car garage in an apartment complex so it can get to be a challenge doing things with all the random parts laying about as I havent mastered the organization of this place yet.

Rebuilt a set of 30mm Z32 calipers:
Also picked up a set of rear Part Shop Max rear calipers:
Put the trans to the engine with a maxworx plate that I had to modify a little to fit my setup (trans was machined for a Xcessive plate and had no provisions for dowels. This may come back to bite me but I have a second trans just in case for things like this):

Shoved the engine in the car with help from a neighbor, my room mate, my girlfriend, and a friend of mine who came out to help.

Turbo manifold, wategate, and turbo bolted on (this took way longer than it should have but its a insanely tight fit to get this all in)
Manifold is custom that the previous owner bought from someone that was in Oklahoma, just going for the "hope this works" method at this point.

Fuel system is coming together, Bosch 210lb injectors with adapters that have built in filters, NUKE Performance surge tank from Denmark fitted with twin Walbro 450lph E85 pumps and all connections covered with Raychem DR25. That is being fed with a Walbro 255lph in tank pump from the factory fuel tank. Just waiting on some Aeroquip PTFE hose and fittings which should be here tuesday according to tracking info.

I had my Xcessive intake cut to fit my K-Tuned 90mm honda throttle body which I will be running a Hondata 4 bar map sensor, a TPS off a J35 and setting all the values in AEM (copied most of the values from a K24 aem map, will need to let tuner do the rest from there)

Annnnnd about here is where I begin to run into an issue... The K-Tuned throttle body mounts the MAP sensor on the bottom along with the IACV. Also puts the wheel on the side facing the coolant inlet with the throttle cable passing right in front of it. Plan is here to cut the coolant neck and weld a tight radius 90* aluminum pipe in its place.

Picked up a HKS Hi-Power exhaust to use as for the cost of this was cheaper than trying to make a full 3.5" exhaust all the way back. Will address that down the road as I mostly want this to run and get the engine broken in.

Still need to find a good fuse box that hasnt been smashed to hell and back and run all new power wire to the fans and fuel pumps as previous wiring is terrifying to say the least, and I am not a wiring guru by any means...
Example A: Injector wiring is hacked at best...

For now I am waiting on two rolls of 10 awg wire, a hand full of relays and inline fuses, and PTFE fuel line to run from surge tank to the bulkhead I put in the floor. Need to finish fixing the wiring harness and pinning in my MAP and Boost Controller into the harness.
Last edited by Toxic240 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

What turbo is that? Looks like a newer garret gtx genII compressor?
Toxic240
Learners Permit

Post by Toxic240 »

superDorifto wrote:What turbo is that? Looks like a newer garret gtx genII compressor?
Borg S366 SX-E with the .91 T4 divided housing
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

Jesus...I wish we had corn in ct. That is going to feel ridiculous once it spools.
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

That TB is sensual.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Awesome work so far. This thing is going to be a monster.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
marsworld
240sx Wannabe

Post by marsworld »

i was wonder. what bolts did you use with your rb head studs? the bolts that come with them dont fit between the lifters
marsworld
240sx Wannabe

Post by marsworld »

also what size is your cosworth head gasket. my engine is bored .20 over so i think its 89.5 also but i thought cosworth gasket comes in only one bore size. and i thought that when you o-ring a block you have to use a cooper head gasket
Toxic240
Learners Permit

Post by Toxic240 »

Pistons are 89.5mm Ross pistons, cosworth hg part # COS1 20027440 90.5mm

The RB26 Studs were fitted by my machine shop including machining a socket to fit the top nuts and cutting down the diameter of the nuts to fit between lifters.
marsworld
240sx Wannabe

Post by marsworld »

Toxic240 wrote:Pistons are 89.5mm Ross pistons, cosworth hg part # COS1 20027440 90.5mm

The RB26 Studs were fitted by my machine shop including machining a socket to fit the top nuts and cutting down the diameter of the nuts to fit between lifters.
Thank you. glad you under stud what i was trying to say because i just realized i said bolt when i actually meant nuts around the lifter area lol
Toxic240
Learners Permit

Post by Toxic240 »

Well, just went through and fixed all the photobucket images just now, figured I would post up a bit of an update while I am at it.

Went ahead and started making some basic wiring for the fuel surge tank and realized that the terminals that they use, you cant really find anything to take dual 10awg wire into one terminal. So ordered a whole different style connector that would through-bolt to the surge tank. Used a Panduit LCB8-14-L to be exact, and if you run into a situation like I did, it makes a excellent solution!
I heat shrink a lot of my terminal connections just to be on the safe side, I don't like the possibility of something shorting or damaging the connections.

Managed to pick up a much larger intercooler than was initially planned for this car. The one I had was an OK size for say 500hp range. This new one will be much more adequate for the higher horsepower range which this build in theory should be capable of. This is the Treadstone TR1245:

This intercooler is HUGE compared to the old one in both height and core thickness

This is the TR1245 sitting where the impact bar is cut for the previous intercooler which I believe was a Greddy bolt-on FMIC kit for their old KA turbo kits. (Completely random, but the foam blocks that ship with the intercooler to protect it are excellent for use to mock up how high you want it to sit.)

At that point I realized, there is going to be a lot of cutting involved here...
:twisted:

Cut/Trimmed the bumper support even higher to tuck the intercooler as high up as possible, leaving just enough to support the bumper and not be completely flimsy. Built a pair of brackets to bolt into the front core support and placed the intercooler as even as I could in the lower opening of the bumper before bolting on 100%. Then started on cutting out the back side of the vents on the Navan bumper for the car and cut out the license plate bracket for a bit more air flow.
Mid mock-up:
Final mounting:

Speaking of final mounting, the surge tank got its final mounting place after a failed attempt at making a nice little stand for it to bolt to. Also ran the power and ground wires to the terminals, attached everything nicely and ran some Panduit expandable sleeving over it, still need to run switched 12V to the relays (50A Bosch relays) and run the power to them from the battery.
Also got the gauges mounted up on Sunday, so far its a Prosport oil pressure gauge, AEM wideband, and Greddy 60mm boost gauge. Still may pull it all back out and put a water temp gauge in before taking it to the dyno... And I really need some door panels :(