TIG welding

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
Kyle1911
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

TIG welding

Post by Kyle1911 »

So I have DIY access to a TIG welder for $13/hr is it worth my time and money to attempt to teach myself how to use it? Is there an "How to" or method on how to set it up ?
89' Nissan 240sx Coupe.

Custom Everything else
60-1 upgraded CT-26
38mm SSautochrome wastegate
Vortech 8:1 FMU
HKS SSQ Gen 1
-Incomplete-

Re: TIG welding

Post by -Incomplete- »

Kyle1911 wrote:So I have DIY access to a TIG welder for $13/hr is it worth my time and money to attempt to teach myself how to use it? Is there an "How to" or method on how to set it up ?
If its all you got its worth whatever its worth to you....

Id use it if i didnt have a welder....
skatanic28
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by skatanic28 »

in my limited experience (still learning), it seems like it would be much easier to teach yourself on a MIG. can you grab one of those by chance too?
240sx2soon
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by 240sx2soon »

I learned MIG on my own for my job and although it is a point and shoot operation to most there are many things to learn about set up, metal prep, material thickness and technick ( I know thats f'd up spelling but whatever you get the point ). TIG welding is an art form that needs to be mastered under the close eye of a profesional. If someone is there to teach you how todo it and is willing to answer all your questions then I say yes it's worth $13 and hour if not ,you're better served taking a course at a trade school because in the end it will cost you less, you will learn more and it will take less time.
BTW if you've never welded before DON'T LOOK AT THE ARC!!!! You'll spend the next three days ( if you're lucky ) trying to rub that white spot out of your eye. It's like looking directly at the sun but worse.
Kyle1911

Post by Kyle1911 »

I found some tutorials online and it doesn't sound like something that is easy to learn without ever witnessing it.

Is there anyway of securing the pipes on my manifold (Stainless) with somethign that wont melt/burn when I bring it to a machine shop it wont fall apart when he goes to weld it? I have a fluxcore lincolin MIG pack 10. But that is to hot for Stainless.
89' Nissan 240sx Coupe.

Custom Everything else
60-1 upgraded CT-26
HKS SSQ Gen 1
240sx2soon

Post by 240sx2soon »

You can use the MIG to weld just about anything that you can weld with TIG BUT you can't use a constant bead. You have to stitch weld, what is stitch welding? Easy definition is that it's like tac welding a whole bunch of times until you have, what looks like,one contiuious bead. The idea behind stitch welding is that you can weld thinner metals without the constant heat, and possible burn through, associated with MIG welding. I would say that practicing with a MIG would be your best bet until you learn how the metal flows and the different properties of each type of metal that you will be working with. Stainless is a very pure metal that welds beatifully but needs to be keep extremly clean during the welding process to prevent contamination that could destroy your weld from the inside out. Again, I would recommend that you spend some time with a professional and ask lots of questions.
Kyle1911

Post by Kyle1911 »

So.. if I tacked it with flux would it destroy the metal in that spot??
89' Nissan 240sx Coupe.

Custom Everything else
60-1 upgraded CT-26
HKS SSQ Gen 1
240sx2soon

Post by 240sx2soon »

Only if you didn't do the setup correctly. If you have spare metal to weld do your setup work with that before you weld the finished product. You will have to weld hot because the flange material is so much thicker than the tubeing that you're welding but thats usually why pro's get paid to TIG weld. I would recommend that anyone who does alot of thier own modifications learn to weld from a pro and take some classes, but if you only want to learn to do one project and you'll never use it again then pay someone else to do it. The last thing you want is to blow your manifold away from home because you will pay out the rear for an emergency repair or replacement manifold.
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you from learning to weld but it's just not as simple as point shoot and never worry about it again.