not a 240 manifold, but it's still pretty

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
dread240
240sx Wannabe

not a 240 manifold, but it's still pretty

Post by dread240 »

I can't wait to actually get to work on my own car :(

This is the mockup for an equal length, long runner sidewinder manifold I'm building for a mazdaspeed3 I have in the shop. What ya guys think?

Image[/img]
SeanG
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by SeanG »

Is that an intake manifold?
ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ILuvS13s »

SeanGPosted wrote:Is that an intake manifold?
since when do intake manifolds have turbo flanges? :lol:
sorry couldnt resist.
240drew wrote:will someone go thru and show me how to wipe my ass? I am really confused, does the paper go in? ( I am just kidding) I am a bit bored.
R34SR wrote:save a tree, drag your ass on the grass.
RIP Nate Moore (480sx)We will never forget you.

TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

SeanG wrote:Is that an intake manifold?
really? lol

Steel, the other white meat. how many steel intake manifolds have you seen in your day? and how many intake manifolds have you seen like that? hahaha

that is turbo manifold

only reason im giving you **** is because you already have some threads talking about making intake manifolds with carburetors and i sure hope thats not how you plan to make it haha
joe62890
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by joe62890 »

Looks good man. Any reason the owner decided to go with the sidewinder? I know they make several good manifolds that leave the turbo behind the motor. What's he planning on using for tuning? He running pump gas or race fuel? My wife has a Speed3 so I'm very interested to see how this turns out.
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

I'm doing alot of work to actually shift the powerband of the motor out of it's ridiculous 400 ftlbs of torque at 3200 rpm's craziness, yet falls flat on it's ass up top. That plus the ease of upgrading the turbo down the road w/o having to take the manifold into account is a real bonus. The goal at this point will be 600+whp on q16, which is well beyond the record held at 433whp and using nitrous to hit it, but I don't really foresee problems with obtaining that. The motor shares alot of characteristics in the bottom end with our record holding mazda 3 (501whp on 93 octane pump gas)

The car right now has a gtk-650 being used for mockup, and that may eventually end up being a gtk-850 depending on how I get this motor to respond. This build so far has used absolutely nothing on the market for the speeds at all, and is all our creation. Fuel and tuning is being taken care of by our hybrid fuel system I developed which retains the direct injection for low power and daily driveability and adds port injection up top (you can actually see some of that in the pictures with the fuel lines and spacer plate sitting on the cylinder head) where the additional fuel is going to be needed for us to get over the mystical horsepower barrier those cars have suffered at this point. We're also making a short runner large plenum intake manifold with an 85mm DBW throttle body compared to that restrictive little straw assembly hanging off the motor now.

Most of the mazda community hasn't even seen this yet, so shhh :-P
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

dread240 wrote:I'm doing alot of work to actually shift the powerband of the motor out of it's ridiculous 400 ftlbs of torque at 3200 rpm's craziness, yet falls flat on it's ass up top. That plus the ease of upgrading the turbo down the road w/o having to take the manifold into account is a real bonus. The goal at this point will be 600+whp on q16, which is well beyond the record held at 433whp and using nitrous to hit it, but I don't really foresee problems with obtaining that. The motor shares alot of characteristics in the bottom end with our record holding mazda 3 (501whp on 93 octane pump gas)

The car right now has a gtk-650 being used for mockup, and that may eventually end up being a gtk-850 depending on how I get this motor to respond. This build so far has used absolutely nothing on the market for the speeds at all, and is all our creation. Fuel and tuning is being taken care of by our hybrid fuel system I developed which retains the direct injection for low power and daily driveability and adds port injection up top (you can actually see some of that in the pictures with the fuel lines and spacer plate sitting on the cylinder head) where the additional fuel is going to be needed for us to get over the mystical horsepower barrier those cars have suffered at this point. We're also making a short runner large plenum intake manifold with an 85mm DBW throttle body compared to that restrictive little straw assembly hanging off the motor now.

Most of the mazda community hasn't even seen this yet, so shhh :-P
Looks really good. I'll definitely follow this thread so keep updating. I'm assuming forged internals? My wife's has FMIC, SRI, downpipe, rear sway, shifter bushings, and I've got a turbo inlet sitting on the floor next to me. Needing to get some sort of engine management. Doing anything more makes me extremely nervous since these cars are notorious for tossing rods. Any suggestions?
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

I haven't really been too concerned with trying to get longevity out of the stock motor. I'll leave that to the other guys, I'm just after the big numbers lol. Amazingly enough though, on the xede and gt3076r my customer clocked over 40k miles on the stock bottom end w/o problems.

Honestly speaking though, all 'management' on the market right now pretty much sucks. We can't play with injector phasing or anything on the cobb, the standback and xede are glorified piggy backs. I'm really just thoroughly disappointed in everything that has came out for that platform, and I think it could have done way better with some better companies backing it.

We're working pretty closely with DCR these days on the project though, They're addressing alot of the flow concerns inside the motor while we take care of the fueling/air delivery side of it. Hopefully we crack this platform wide open and start making the power they should be capable of
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

dread240 wrote:I haven't really been too concerned with trying to get longevity out of the stock motor. I'll leave that to the other guys, I'm just after the big numbers lol. Amazingly enough though, on the xede and gt3076r my customer clocked over 40k miles on the stock bottom end w/o problems.

Honestly speaking though, all 'management' on the market right now pretty much sucks. We can't play with injector phasing or anything on the cobb, the standback and xede are glorified piggy backs. I'm really just thoroughly disappointed in everything that has came out for that platform, and I think it could have done way better with some better companies backing it.

We're working pretty closely with DCR these days on the project though, They're addressing alot of the flow concerns inside the motor while we take care of the fueling/air delivery side of it. Hopefully we crack this platform wide open and start making the power they should be capable of
That's good to know. Haven't been sure what to look into. These cars are all but engineered backwards. I look at all of the fancy **** they put under the hood compared to the simplicity of my S13 and want to curl up and cry. Definitely something I need to learn.
Liger
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Liger »

You are going to have some serious pressure balance problems with each runner you have there. Probably would not be a bad idea to eliminate some of those tight bends....
all shal perrish

Post by all shal perrish »

why not use megasqurit for tuning?
i am not up to speed on the mazda comunity..
just curriuos why you wouldnt go after somthing like that ..
www.autovaughnperformance.com

NISTUNE EXCELLENT TUNING AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE (pm with questions regarding)

I AM ON THE HUNT FOR JWT CAM GEARS..
if you have some, pm me
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

Some of those bends look more radical then they really are because of the angles of the photos. (due to clearance a few have to snake about, but each runner is actually within 1 inch of each other, and all the bends are long radius cast 90 weld el's that get used on pretty much every manifold ever made)

Pretty much all ems style systems are out of the window due to the direct injection. Nobody has drivers that are pushing them yet (tec3r has been rumored to be used on 1 direct injected vehicle but there's no proof and it's all word of mouth being passed around). Only real tuning option they've had up to this point is the cobb accessport but they haven't even unlocked all the tables with that yet.
200sxBoY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 200sxBoY »

nice manifold there
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

200sxBoY wrote:nice manifold there
Just as a warning to everyone, this guy is being shady.
Someone needs to reset his post count. He just posted 1 word replies in a lot of old threads, and look, now he's at 100 posts.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
Jackasknissan

Post by Jackasknissan »

agreeed; I was about to bi*ch him out, but I noticed this.

interested in why you used tight radius bends in that manifold...
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

Any updates?

:D
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

manifold/turbo/downpipe is all fabricated and on car. I'm working on a new intake manifold now with a 90mm DBW throttle body on it, short runners with a large plenum as well too. Once I have all that done I will get the car running on it all, and at that point I'll pull the motor to build it.

It's taking awhile to do it like this, but I really don't want to stress the motor through fumbling with two fuel systems and everything else on a fresh rebuild, so that's why I'm taking this route and it's taking a bit longer.
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

dread240 wrote:manifold/turbo/downpipe is all fabricated and on car. I'm working on a new intake manifold now with a 90mm DBW throttle body on it, short runners with a large plenum as well too. Once I have all that done I will get the car running on it all, and at that point I'll pull the motor to build it.

It's taking awhile to do it like this, but I really don't want to stress the motor through fumbling with two fuel systems and everything else on a fresh rebuild, so that's why I'm taking this route and it's taking a bit longer.
Need more pictures. Please! :D

Have you started a thread on Mazdas247.com? You need to if you haven't.
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

I haven't released too much honestly.... I already have certain companies talking to my distributors to find out what we're using and how we're making it all, which I find rather humerous that large full scale companies with huge cnc machines and all that are worried about what 2 guys are doing in a small shop in glen burnie :-P It may be that we already hold the regular mazda 3 record as well too.. and they know we're not using their parts, but meh.

We'll release more pics/info when all the fabrication is done and the new motor is in. At this point I've decided not to show our hand on everything to avoid the drama of ohmagawd it's taking so long.
nyquil2
240sx Wannabe

Post by nyquil2 »

looks like a nice design...kinda like the k20 sidewinder manifolds
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

that top runner still just geeks me out, you could have made it flow in soo nice
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

TinyT wrote:that top runner still just geeks me out, you could have made it flow in soo nice
Geeked out by those 90 degree bends huh?
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

really no, you have to realize, in that spot there is the egr, the pcv, the brake cylinder resevoir and much more. The finished pics show alot more detail on it, but as I said, nothing is being posted.

Prettu much, the manifold has to squeeze down to about 2.25" wide through that section, so all that piping ends up being stacked up on each other.so that it comes through lined up on top of each other
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

dread240 wrote:really no, you have to realize, in that spot there is the egr, the pcv, the brake cylinder resevoir and much more. The finished pics show alot more detail on it, but as I said, nothing is being posted.

Prettu much, the manifold has to squeeze down to about 2.25" wide through that section, so all that piping ends up being stacked up on each other.so that it comes through lined up on top of each other
I don't have any doubts it'll do what you need it to do and be good at it.

Battery still in the engine bay?