Welding Cast Iron/Cast Steel; questions/results

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
je_decoy
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by je_decoy »

Yea I didn't notice the dates on the previous posts till I posted mine lol well hopefully it helps someone
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

I was gonna say...I wouldn't use 308 rod on steel as it would crack. 309 would work but it shrinks way more steel. I think ER80s-d2 steel rod would be the way to go if you do decide to do this mod.
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
smbonn2005
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by smbonn2005 »

Since it was brought back from the dead anyways... When welding cast steel (did a couple factory SR manifolds and a custom KA turbo manifold) I've always used ER70S-2 filler rod because it is triple de-oxidized and will give you an x-ray quality weld.

For the stresses the knuckle will be under you must preheat it. I'd say preheat to 350*, weld it on DC Electrode Negative and amperage should be 1amp per 0.001" of material your welding. Electrode should be 2% Thoriated Tungsten, most likely 3/32" would be easiest but that's up to your preference. Your definitely going to want to make a couple passes. Two should do the trick I do believe if I remember the thickness of those knuckles correctly. Then after your done welding put it back in the oven, bring it back up to 350* then let it either cool slowly in the oven or if you have a bucket of sand available I'd stick it in that and let it cool.

Let me know how it goes and post pictures =)

Stephen
smbonn2005

Post by smbonn2005 »

Alonso, why do you say ER80S-D2? I'd think ER70S-2 would work out a little better as ER80S-D2 would tend to want to flex more, thats why they use it on chromoly roll cages?
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

Maybe because that's what I'm use to using and it was the first thing that came to mind. All the steel I do is 4130 and gets heat treated later anyways, a bit different from this knuckle I guess :)

Er70s-2 should be fine.
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
smbonn2005

Post by smbonn2005 »

Haha yeah ok, thats kinda what i figured. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving out any bad information =)
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

zombie bump.

anyone know WHAT type of steel casting this is? thinking about electron beam welding these bitches.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
EviltoM
Forum Moderator

Post by EviltoM »

Just an update for those welding cast iron. Ive been using a rod my friend steals from work for me called Super 808 and it welds like a boss. I random google search brings up Palco 808 rod but Im not 100% sure thats the one since my friend brings it home in a lunch pale. The box says Super 808 on it but I cant seem to find it.
2JZGE NA-T -SOLD
10.3@131 27psi