KA24E Custom Intake Manifold Is Finished=)

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

I've purchased your products in the past and had to resell it because it would it not work, even after buying the 50 trim instead of my T3, just because of that. I never said a word and kept it to myself.
That was a one off manifold, something i made for myself and decided to sell, not something i advertised as fitting all makes and models etc, if you HAD complained it would have been just as easy to give you your money back and to just sell the manifold to some one running the same turbo i was. Complaining, aka criticising is how you get what you want ;) I have had people complain about me not porting the insides of my manifolds well enough, so now i take an extra 2 hours to hand port the insides of all of them unless someone wants to pay less and not have that done.

Actually I did complain, and you blew me off.
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
Nissan_Freek
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Nissan_Freek »

toki wrote:got that backwards there...short runners are for high end...longer runners are for low end....in general.
short runners are better for boost... period.

Jimmy
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

Jordan Gladman wrote:
Unless Lance is incapable of doing a better intake manifold, which im sure he could, he shouldnt take it so personally, because he should know that he is perfectly capable of doing better and he didnt want to waste that much time on your manifold.
There you go again... I built him exactly what he requested and what he could afford. Where the hell did I go wrong? :?
I guess I'm suppose to built him a $700-$800 intake (thats what the Hogan IMs go for) and sell it to him for $400 :roll:
You can charge as little as you would like for your time, I DO NOT HAVE THAT OPTION... not with people and bills to pay (unless I want to got broke and put people out of work).
Like I said before this is the best we could manage with the requirements we where given and a certain amount of MONEY was one of them...

Your basically saying I didn't give a crap so I "half-assed it"...
And by that statement your going WAAAAAAAY past a simple "critique"
Also I'm not tring to "showcase" anything here, nobody has mentioned a price or even if I would ever make another KA24E intake...

How about this- This is NOT the best KA24E intake manifold possible :roll:
HAPPY?

BTW an extra 2 hours of welding is an extra $120, but the stuff your picking at is going to add up to alot more than just an extra 2 hours
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index3.html
See our JGS KA-t.org section for lots of good info :)
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

I don't understand why you guys think it is soooo ugly either?

After I polished it up I think it looks really nice. The only reason Lance didn't spend time cleaning it up was because I was at a time crunch at the end, trying to make his dyno day. Which i never was able to make it to.

The only thing I was trying to showcase, was that i received a new part to my car which brings it closer to completion.
JGS Precision
240joe
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by 240joe »

it isnt ugly! anything custom is cool in my book. jps is willing to experiment and try new things. (how many of you have made a one off part !) this is how after market support is created. in my opinion if it wasnt for people doing all of the hair pulling reserch, then tech for certain motors would be non existent. hell 70 percent of the people doing sohc turbos would have sr swaps. try to find someone local to create one off designs. going to be ten times more in price than these people can offer. we all know the first wheel didnt look like a 18" volk, progression takes time. this is a start, all you can do is offer opinions. dont bash someone for taking the risk to try something new. hell in my opinion the intake looks good! i dont think it flows quite right do to the motor being square. i belive the intake should stay the same just more square to better flow with the rest of the engine compartment.
"remember that KA you threw away for your SR... well it just kicked your ass."
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Doesn't flow quite right as far as appearance is concerned, I'm guessing is what your'e saying. Just to clear up it's not a performance aspect your referencing
JGS Precision
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

Anybody who thinks a round plenum sucks should go pick-up the lastest turbo mag...
Read the story on the cover car (the Pruven EVO) and look really close at his intake manifold :shock: Geee its ROUND, amazing somthing so generic would make it into any mag :P
toki

Post by toki »

Nissan_Freek wrote:
toki wrote:got that backwards there...short runners are for high end...longer runners are for low end....in general.
short runners are better for boost... period.

Jimmy
worst post evar.
turbo SOHC
240joe

Post by 240joe »

veilside180sx wrote:Doesn't flow quite right as far as appearance is concerned, I'm guessing is what your'e saying. Just to clear up it's not a performance aspect your referencing
your correct! when i say flow i am talking about the overall style of the unit. it looks good on the way it is built. in my "opinion" i think that bulky square intake manifold looks better. i personaly dont like the round mainifold or it might be the sizing ??? but i do give him credit for what he is doing...

this to me would be a better "style" type.
"remember that KA you threw away for your SR... well it just kicked your ass."
Joel07
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Joel07 »

But, the reality of it is, this intake's not built for style at all. It's built for hp, and I think it looks darn good myself. Good job Lance, and veilside, I can't wait to see what kind of #'s you end up putting down!!!

It'd be interesting to see a back-back dyno b/t the stock intake and this one. I know there'll be some good gains, but what interests me is how it would change the torque curve, or what kind of top-end gains you will get.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

EDIT---

Unlocked.

Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
toki

Post by toki »

my fabricator will probably be basing my intake manifold off of your design (it was the design I brough to him months ago before he had his tig, 4" round plenum and all, you just put it in to reality.), I'm sure it will yield good results. The only thing I might talk to him about changing is a slightly dished cap on the end as apposed to the flat piece creating a hard angle.
turbo SOHC
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Joel07 wrote:But, the reality of it is, this intake's not built for style at all. It's built for hp, and I think it looks darn good myself. Good job Lance, and veilside, I can't wait to see what kind of #'s you end up putting down!!!

It'd be interesting to see a back-back dyno b/t the stock intake and this one. I know there'll be some good gains, but what interests me is how it would change the torque curve, or what kind of top-end gains you will get.
I don't care enough to reroute intercooler piping ect to see how much gains it provides. So I won't be doing that test unfortunately.
JGS Precision
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

240joe wrote:
veilside180sx wrote:Doesn't flow quite right as far as appearance is concerned, I'm guessing is what your'e saying. Just to clear up it's not a performance aspect your referencing
your correct! when i say flow i am talking about the overall style of the unit. it looks good on the way it is built. in my "opinion" i think that bulky square intake manifold looks better. i personaly dont like the round mainifold or it might be the sizing ??? but i do give him credit for what he is doing...

this to me would be a better "style" type.

Right, I agree that would maybe have an edge on the part I built interms of the design of the runners BUUUUUT (your knew that was comming :lol: )
I don't think Veilside had an extra $450 (double the cost of my creation if I made a production run) laying around to give me....
http://store.extrememotorsports.com/bro ... 2,155.html
If you didn't believe me :P
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

toki wrote:The only thing I might talk to him about changing is a slightly dished cap on the end as apposed to the flat piece creating a hard angle.
People got me doing that along time ago, not sure whats it worth but still a good idea.
SOHC 240SX
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by SOHC 240SX »

Again, I understand the cost restrictions and customers requests limited your overall design. Thats why you built what you did.

But lets say I have $10,000 USD I am willing to spend and I want you to build me the BEST PERFORMANCE intake manifold for my KA24E. What would you then build for me? What would you change in your design? Would it be worth your final cost price? What areas of the manifold would you find ways to improve even more so? What are your justifications for doing so?
-los
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Right, I agree that would maybe have an edge on the part I built interms of the design of the runners BUUUUUT (your knew that was comming :lol: )
I don't think Veilside had an extra $450 (double the cost of my creation if I made a production run) laying around to give me....
http://store.extrememotorsports.com/bro ... 2,155.html
If you didn't believe me :P[/quote]

Your'e correct, I don't forsee it being necessary i think what we produced will far from hold me back from any power goal that I would want.

I was looking at my pictures, and the Ventura Racing 700 whp SOHC looks like mine, but powdercoated. So I think more than likely it's steel instead of aluminum.
JGS Precision
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

I would really like to see how this intake plays out before commiting to a bunch of changes :wink:
But since you asked....
I would want a head to cut up to get an idea of the port curves.
Then instead of casting or fabbing runners I would actually mill the runners from a solid chunk of billet with actual calculated throated horn stacks. The injectors would actually be placed on the side of the plenum squirting into the mouths of the stacks (just like F1, so we can get lots of good cooling out of our fuel). Those would be secondaries with small primaries in the stock location to achieve decent mileage etc.

Plenum? I still think a round plenum is a viable option, if the customer asks for some kind Veilside style plenum thats what they'll get.

80mm accufab, etc.

Theres the short list for a some what drivable maximum power intake manifold :)
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Have you driven/dynoed it yet? Geeze... I'm sick of wading through arguements........ :evil:
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Well if you would like to come lend a large hand in completing my project then sure. All of these things take time. It's not like this was the only piece to my puzzle that was missing. The entire puzzle needs to be reconstructed, and i'm about half to 3/4 of the way done.
JGS Precision
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

woohoo
Reply #110
:P
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Well if you would like to come lend a large hand in completing my project then sure.

I would if I was over there on the west coast... I want to see how this mani performs. The stock intake is horrible in design. This one should really lively up things....

Brian
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Actually I'm working on my intercooler piping, and it's taking longer than it should. Mostly because I've taught myself how to weld on it, and I'm being picky about how I locate it. I really wish I had a small band saw for cutting the piping as well. All I have is a sawzall, cut off tool (air), and a hack saw. None of which will cut it all that clean. Either way I'll get it figured out.
JGS Precision