KA24E Custom Intake Manifold Is Finished=)

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Rick wrote:Wow...someone had an idea to polish a valve cover? wtf?

Rick
We weren't expecting this to be a novel idea.=) The crappy stripes that run down the valve cover on the other hand date the motor. So must be removed. :lol:
Joel07
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Joel07 »

Shoot, I love the ridges! I think the stock valve cover is one of the best things about the SOHC! :lol:

Guess I'm stuck in the '80's though, since I love S12's too... :D
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

^Not going to comment.... :shock:
SOHC 240SX
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by SOHC 240SX »

Nothing wrong with Old School! 8)
-los
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

:lol:
Gavster
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Gavster »

I didnt mean the whole stock lower half, i meant like...pretty mcuh where the fuel rail bolt and then to the head flange, so not too much with extremely short runners. and deleting those flappers in the runners.
Im done with fwd.
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Before

After

Calesta
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Calesta »

Very nice polish job!
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Thanks...I may still spend a little more time on it. I also have to throw it in the parts washer and clear coat it. :D
appleburger
240sx Wannabe

Post by appleburger »

looks great!
jdmsilvia909
Learners Permit

Post by jdmsilvia909 »

is it up and running yet?
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

No, still waiting on my new turbo...and stupid ball joints (been 2 months). They've shipped me the wrong ones a few times.

That's kinda where I'm stuck. Then it'll take me a day or two to knock out all the welding. (intercooler piping, oil pan bung, downpipe, etc..)
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
Solus
Learners Permit

Post by Solus »

*poke* Fram oil filter......

btw, very original intake manifold. (it's prettier polished) Personally I'd like a square one on my SOHC, I think it'd probably deliver more air too, but to each his own. 8)
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

I agree it does look better polished though, I prefer the round to a square plenum. Either would work better than stock though.
JGS Precision
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

Solus wrote:*poke* Fram oil filter......

btw, very original intake manifold. (it's prettier polished) Personally I'd like a square one on my SOHC, I think it'd probably deliver more air too, but to each his own. 8)
Square = turbulances
The air in the corners will swirl causing issues...
Splitting hairs here but also you'd find fitment issues with the throttle cable.
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index3.html
See our JGS KA-t.org section for lots of good info :)
Solus
Learners Permit

Post by Solus »

hmm, some good points there. I could see what you mean about the turbulence. But what about the square look with a round innerd. That'd be the best of both worlds in my opinion. :roll:
fromxtor

Post by fromxtor »

I want to know when I can buy one
-Josh

'04 Titan SE CC -DD
'90 240sx HB- AMS GT32,JGS SOHC Starter kit,JGS plug wire shield,JGS MMs, Nismo tranny mount, Ross pistons, ARP H/Rs, Polished Rods, Port and Polished head,polished crank,greddy RS BOV,650cc injectors,ROM tuned ECU
Jordan Gladman
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jordan Gladman »

JGSturbo wrote:

Square = turbulances
Splitting hairs here but also you'd find fitment issues with the throttle cable.
A linear tube design will do the same thing though, whale penis shaped manifolds are better in that they taper off. The last runner doesnt need as much airflow as the volume infront of the 1st runner so it doesnt make sense to have the shape the same all the way along...
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
Solus
Learners Permit

Post by Solus »

Point well taken, and that also makes a lot of sense Jordan. And yea...the more I think about it...the more I agree. But where oh where would we find a whale penis to fit our SOHC? Personally I see them for SR's all the time, but never for a KA. 8)

After looking at pics of your SOHC I see a square shaped manifold there too.
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

Jordan Gladman wrote:
JGSturbo wrote:

Square = turbulances
A linear tube design will do the same thing though, whale penis shaped manifolds are better in that they taper off. The last runner doesnt need as much airflow as the volume infront of the 1st runner so it doesnt make sense to have the shape the same all the way along...
Thats the first time I heard it called that :lol: Those are a good design as well, more to provide better response than max. power.
I don't see how a round plentum has really any corners to allow air to swirl (turbulance) :?
Round tubes have the advantage of smoother flow in the mouth of the runners, where square or tappered square plenum will always have flat areas where the mouths of the ports are.
The only problem is the size of the tube (volume) which makes it not so good for putting around.
SOHC 240SX

Post by SOHC 240SX »

Its a good intake manifold verses the stock intake manifold, but the BEST design is a symmetrical one. The design above is a log style NON-symmetrical. Even the Whale shape is NON-symmetrical. I would have moved the throttle body opening to the center so that the air flows into the plennum between cylinder 2 and 3. This would have made the design symmetrical, which has a higher probability of equal flow to each cylinder...IE the bell shape curve. Symmetry of design is a desirable characteristic, either race or street, as it facilitates equal distribution of airflow to each cylinder.
-los
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

Unforchantly, its easier to talk about it than it is to build it...
And certainly you would end up degrading other parts of the manifold to get there :?
Basically alot of science for small gains......
SOHC 240SX

Post by SOHC 240SX »

Not true on all accounts.

1) Its simple to build it. Just need to design it correctly from the beginning. If you "build as you go", your just asking for problems.

2) Again, it goes back to careful planning and design from the beginning. You only degrade other parts of the manifold if you planning is poor. The opposite is also true, if you plan it correctly, other parts will be improved!

3) Lots of science for small gains? Equal flow to all four cylinders is optimal. Its no different from something like compression ratio and other variables were you want to achieve equal specs across all four cylinders. Efficiency is the name of the game here. The more you can improve it of every aspect of the motor, the better and more powerful the motor as a whole will be.

Everyone will be different and will build, plan, and accomplish everything differently. The seriousness of a job and task at hand is what will determine everyones "thats good enough" finish line.
-los
Jordan Gladman
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jordan Gladman »

JGSturbo wrote:Unforchantly, its easier to talk about it than it is to build it...
And certainly you would end up degrading other parts of the manifold to get there :?
Basically alot of science for small gains......
The only specific part on the whole manifold is the head flange, i've seen universal, you weld plenums before that would suite the SOHC KA needs and save lots of trouble in building the plenum, just a thought, its awesome that you guys actually built one though.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

SOHC 240SX wrote:Not true on all accounts.

1) Its simple to build it. Just need to design it correctly from the beginning. If you "build as you go", your just asking for problems.

2) Again, it goes back to careful planning and design from the beginning. You only degrade other parts of the manifold if you planning is poor. The opposite is also true, if you plan it correctly, other parts will be improved!

3) Lots of science for small gains? Equal flow to all four cylinders is optimal. Its no different from something like compression ratio and other variables were you want to achieve equal specs across all four cylinders. Efficiency is the name of the game here. The more you can improve it of every aspect of the motor, the better and more powerful the motor as a whole will be.

Everyone will be different and will build, plan, and accomplish everything differently. The seriousness of a job and task at hand is what will determine everyones "thats good enough" finish line.
I spent PLENTY of time designing this damn manifold, getting the throttle body to fit in the near stock location, locating the IAC valve, etc. etc.
Everything else was pretty much determined by keeping as close to a bolt-on as possible. For runner sizes and plenum sizes etc. I used what I know works from the many other intake manifolds I have built. Its nice to want to make everything "perfect" (no such thing) but TRUST ME its a whole other thing to try to build it. If you don't believe me, well I tried :roll:

My design is NO different from the one on a 700WHP KA-E that was posted here a while ago (and about a 100 other intake manifolds on various 4 cylinder engines), it works and will accomplish the customer's given goals.
Tell me WTF is wrong with that?
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

^I agree that theory and actual excecution are two different beasts. I've also seens things that should've worked great on paper, in reality sucked. So it goes both ways. Either way I'm happy with it, and frankly I'm the one that is shelling out the cash for the product. Which is really the only person that matters. :shock: It will be just fine in execution of power ranges that I want, and I think Lance did an excellent job with the parameters given.
JGS Precision
toki

Post by toki »

the big question here is, how much are you going to sell me a 1/2" intake flange for?
turbo SOHC
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

^I think that something that needs to be discussed via PM and not in my thread.
JGS Precision
SOHC 240SX

Post by SOHC 240SX »

JGSturbo wrote:
SOHC 240SX wrote:quote]

Tell me WTF is wrong with that?
Again, you have totally misunderstood what I said. :cry: I never said your manifold design was poorly designed, nor did I say its performance gains were poor or its construction. It is an upgrade over the stock manifold and has many merits and key features.

What I did say was that your manifold is a NON-symmetrical design. A symmetrical design intake manifold is the superior layout compared to the other designs that were mentioned above, square plenums, round plenums, whale shape, etc.

Your manifold will work on a car making 70 horsepower or 700 horsepower. I didn't say it is not usable, do-able, or workable. I did say that due to the design, it does not promote equal air distrubtion to all 4 cylinders. Something like that is totally possible with careful planning....if you indeed plan to build something like that. Just look at what Nissan did with the RB25 intake manifold. For a stock manifold, it has a symmetrical design. Even the new 350Z have a symmetrical design. It may not be as clean looking, but it is more efficient.

I am not knocking yours skills, craftmenship, or intelligence. I am simply pointing out the facts about manifold design. I am almost done constructing my performance intake manifold. Surprisingly, it looks almost identical to your design, but the path of the incoming charged air is place in a different location to promote a symmetrical design and a bell shape curve probability of equal air flow to all four cylinders.
-los
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

I know what your getting at, the N/A 2JZ toyotas are a good example...
But a simple plenum manifold has better distrubtion that you might think.
Having the TB 90 to the runners makes the air turn 90 deg., the further you get down the plenum the smoother the air path to each runner is...
Thus equalizing flow. Now this doesn't work so well at lower throttle openings but thats outside the goal of this part.

I just don't see how your going to fit a TRUE equalized intake under the hood. If the RB25 intake was so great, why did they dump it when they made the RB26DETT?
I am not knocking yours skills, craftmenship, or intelligence.
Its kind of difficult to see that with all the "you should have done this or that" comments you always give every time something of my doing is posted. I'm sure you have your reasons, but downgrading somebodies hard work with saying I could have done this or that (when you know it would have been damn near impossible with the restrictions I was given on where everything needed to be and how much it needed to cost) and not expecting some kind of back-lash is well foolish.
Maybe you should send less time picking apart other people's work and more time building your own parts. That way you can show us how its suppose to be rather than just tell us how its suppose to be.
If I over stepped the line, I'm truely sorry but this is how I see it.
Don't take this as an insult, take it as a challenge 8)

veilside180sx- sorry for turning your intake post into another post battle :(