thinking of doing an intake manifold like on the tech page

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

thinking of doing an intake manifold like on the tech page

Post by turbonola »

i like that the materials are not crazy expensive and it uses the runners from the stock manifold. i'm just looking to pick up a little more top end before adding bc 264 cams w/jwt gears. is this a good route to go for an easy diy mani or will i not see any real gains over stock.

http://ka-t.org/intake_manifold_basic.php
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

does anyone have pics of this manifold with the upper adiator hose installed? i wanna se what type of clearance it offers to the cold pipe. if not would it be a problem with airflow to have the throttle body entrance angled a little bit to aid upper radiator hose clearance?
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

advice from someone who has built one, just weld the plenum to the upper half of the intake runners (top half of the oem intake) otherwise you have to check the clearances and you will need to angle the runners mating to the plenum because if you dont then your hood wont shut by like 3". saves a whole bunch of time and it also lets you use all of the stock fuel hardlines that mount on the manifold and it lets you use several of the brackets for the sensors

as for the cold pipe, i had my runners cut right in the middle of the top half
and the radiator hose ran under and around the piping. you do have full control of how you want to run those hoses based on where you mount the plenum, but having the chance to do it again, i would have just welded it straight to the upper half of the manifold, then the radiator hose could go above the piping like stock. I was able to use the stock hose with it like it is in the picture, but i didnt like the way things were
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
redpotatoes
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by redpotatoes »

I am also interested in the DIY manifold. Not sure about the gains but for sure it would reduce the risks boost leaks.
KA24DET GT2871R .86 Setup:
viewtopic.php?t=44222
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

if you are paying someone to weld it together for you, i would suggest just buying a premade manifold from one of the sponsors, it ends up costing about the same
was like 200$ in parts and 200$ in fabrication/welds (i didnt have any means of welding aluminum at the time), and my friend that welded for me told me that if it would have gone through his shop it would have been about 350 for all the labor plus the 200 for the parts i paid
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

total cost of everything i need shipped to me is $154 th reason i would get it done the same way that ryan k did is because the mani can still be taken apart if need be. i've got a welder that welds for me for cheap.
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Here's mine. I did it just like ryan's. But i had a lot of problems with it leaking. At first it sealed great, but i think my upper plennum was not completely flat. Honestly, id just drill the holes for the runners and weld it. There's no reason why you wouldn't, cause it has enough clearance to pull off without removing the lower part. It takes all of about 5 minutes (Ive actually timed myself before cause i did it so many times lol).
It's always broken.
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

i wanna do it like that because of the i/c pipe placement. i like it right there. did you feel any gains on the top end? i'm just gonna get it planed to make sure the flange it flat
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

thanks for the pics too tanman
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Ima say yes. But that might be because i went from a 50 trim to an hx35 at the same time i did the intake manifold. lol.
It's always broken.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

i think im going to cut mine up and put it together like yours tanman, but im just going to weld that together. would be a heck of alot easier than fixing my plenum to go down on an angle and filling the holes
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

beercandrifter wrote:i think im going to cut mine up and put it together like yours tanman, but im just going to weld that together. would be a heck of alot easier than fixing my plenum to go down on an angle and filling the holes
Completely agree. Its a pain to tap them, the holes leak sometimes. It comes off as one piece anyways. Def do it like that.
It's always broken.
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

TanManS14 wrote:
beercandrifter wrote:i think im going to cut mine up and put it together like yours tanman, but im just going to weld that together. would be a heck of alot easier than fixing my plenum to go down on an angle and filling the holes
Completely agree. Its a pain to tap them, the holes leak sometimes. It comes off as one piece anyways. Def do it like that.
yeah i didnt think of that, i think i'll weld it then when i do it
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
slide_show
240sx Wannabe

Post by slide_show »

dam tommy,

i was thinking about doing the diy manifold a few days ago...
lmk how it goes, and when you order stuff, cuz if u can, order 2 of everything so i can get mine done too...i'll front you the cash
duh mah! wheels and suspension!
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

cool, i'll probably be tryin to do this in a month or 2. i'll hit u up about it.
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Also, i'll be getting rid of mine within the next few months. I hope to do a full velocity stack plennum. Ima try and stick it on the dyno with identical boost and tune and see the power this setup makes vs a velocity stack sheet metal plennum. I really dont think its going to gain all that much power, mostly change the power band, though im still gonna try to run pretty good length runners to retain some low end. We'll see.
It's always broken.
Matej
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Matej »

Has anyone on here tried to cut up one of these cheapo Ebay SR manifolds to see if they could be made to work with KA runners?
Irony.cc
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

TanManS14 wrote:Also, i'll be getting rid of mine within the next few months. I hope to do a full velocity stack plennum. Ima try and stick it on the dyno with identical boost and tune and see the power this setup makes vs a velocity stack sheet metal plennum. I really dont think its going to gain all that much power, mostly change the power band, though im still gonna try to run pretty good length runners to retain some low end. We'll see.
how much u plannin on askin for it?
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

Matej wrote:Has anyone on here tried to cut up one of these cheapo Ebay SR manifolds to see if they could be made to work with KA runners?
i remember someone talkin bout doing that a year or two back but i dont think he did
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
zenki-des
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by zenki-des »

turbonola wrote:
Matej wrote:Has anyone on here tried to cut up one of these cheapo Ebay SR manifolds to see if they could be made to work with KA runners?
i remember someone talkin bout doing that a year or two back but i dont think he did
that was me lol i just dont kno if i can use the sr20 iacv or mayb i have to remote the sensor sr guys sell them cheap on zilvia really want to try it tho
wtf is juice nigga i want that purple stuff
98 240sx t28
264lb/220hp
274/270lb 20g 12psi
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I bought one of those manifolds a couple years back for the very reason of trying to make one work with an adapter plate or something. The runners are spaced completely differently and the quality is pretty bad. Its way easier to start from scratch. If you have the capability to weld aluminum, there is no point in using one of these to start from.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Bout 200 bucks prolly.
It's always broken.
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

what throttle body u runnin?
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Stock, it will be a while before i sell it (3-4 months), but if you want a q45 on it i can make/ weld a flange onto it.
It's always broken.
turbonola
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by turbonola »

well in three or four months my lil bro/fabricator is coming home from iraq. he told me to hold out and he's gonna make one for me.
11.65@118 1.64 60ft
zenki-des

Post by zenki-des »

how off where the runners?and where did you try to mate the mani jordan? i just like the style i kno austetics is not a good reason for upgrading a manni but also i was under the impression shorter runner more torque. i would like to get a intake manni that looks like the one on NPD'scar(sick). in my opinion all intake manifolds ive seen look like garbage for the ka
98 240sx t28
264lb/220hp
274/270lb 20g 12psi
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Long runner more torque down low. The shorter the runner the less torque and the later that peak torque hits.
It's always broken.
zenki-des

Post by zenki-des »

kinda wanted to make something like this not the greatest artist dipiction but with shlty photo editing software you get the drift
98 240sx t28
264lb/220hp
274/270lb 20g 12psi
vladt3
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by vladt3 »

zenki-des wrote:kinda wanted to make something like this not the greatest artist dipiction but with shlty photo editing software you get the drift
yeah ,, it good idea
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

***** that, way more trouble than its worth, and as was said the runner spacing is gonna be different. Also its not like that plennum design is the most ideal out there. Not to mention you gotta spend 150 bucks on that thing just to cut it up. When you could build a nice sheet metal one for less than that. Idk.
It's always broken.