A KA24DE-T'ers california dream manifold

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

A KA24DE-T'ers california dream manifold

Post by motoman399 »

hey so recently i got a pm from a guy asking me to do a custom manifold for him. im always up for some fab work so i agreed to the challenge. what he wanted done was take a stock sr20det manifold and cut the head flanges off, then weld on KADE manifold flanges.

so he ended up cutting the stock flanges from the KA and sent me the complete SR manifold and the KA flanges. then when i got it i cut the SR flanges. i beveled the edges of the manifold and the flanges then i bolted the flanges on to a spare KA head. got to welding.

here are the results of matty's sr24det (as he calls it lol)

here you can see where i cut the flanges and the bevel i put on the 3 and 4 runners

we used s13 KA flanges and they needed some work to be used

the result

how flat the welds are

his setup (courtesy of him)

i would like to see a california highway patrol catch on to that car being modified! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

lol T2 VS. T4
there is another guy that got a hold of me after i made this manifold and wants me to do another, and possibly one for a KA24E with a CA18DET manifold. should be fun

Thanks for choosing BADASS INC.
F/S S14 zenki HUD cluster and HUD display
KoukiKAT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by KoukiKAT »

Not too shabby. Looks stock, which is cool.
The 240SX is dead. Long live the 240SX!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Just one question... how much?
My car is dead stock.... ish

http://mobileimports.freeforums.org
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

its 100 plus shipping both ways. also take trades for parts. :)
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I approve of this post.

Does this wind up with a similar scenario to the ebay t25 manifolds where you have to lengthen the DP to clear the bottom of the car?

Are you running the VC vent to the airbox or the turbo intake elbow?
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

p00t wrote:Does this wind up with a similar scenario to the ebay t25 manifolds where you have to lengthen the DP to clear the bottom of the car?
Yes, you still would have to lengthen the elbow or the downpipe. The KA sits almost 2 inches higher at the exhaust ports than an SR does.

Hope that helps.
miravete
NooB

Post by miravete »

did the same thing... 8)

sr20 mani modded to be used on a ka

using a ca18 turbo, with stock exhaust elbow

and

stock sr20 downpipe wich bolts up to my cat, and then to my catback exhaust.

all perfect fit :D

now if i could get that dam heatshield....:lol:

all this on a 95 s14 :wink:

Taking corners just as good as a drunken rhino.
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

looks good man. did you port match the inside? the one that i did, the ports were really bad and i had to add weld in there and then grind it smooth.

how long have you been running it, and do you live in cali?
miravete
NooB

Post by miravete »

yeah, i live in cali.

been running it for a month now.

and yeah, the ka flanges are bigger than the sr20 inlets, so i grinded the inlets first, then threw some artistic welds lol, and grinded them down.

on a side note...

how much for the zenki hud system?

it look nice on my rhd s14 :wink:
Taking corners just as good as a drunken rhino.
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

We need to be friends!! lol where do you live in cali?

im asking around 400 for it. i have the cluster, the module on the back of the cluster, the hud unit, and the bezel for it. i might have the right pig tails for the module too. i just havent tried them yet. i trade for rhd parts too. pm me
240KA
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240KA »

haha, thats awesome. great creativity bros
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

thanks man, unfortunately this wasnt my idea. i had seen the manifold done a couple years ago and then someone came to me wanting one.

woo hoo 100th post! classifieds here i come lol
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

this is so sick. great work motoman.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
ak_slick

Post by ak_slick »

Nice work... but the t2 makes me sad
nismo_dreaming

Post by nismo_dreaming »

Thats a great way to get into a turbo'd KA for dirt cheap. If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I DEF would have done a simple setup like this at first, then progessed into something bigger and badder. Nice work here man....I'll keep this in mind if someday I want to build a daily booster.
1996 240sx SE LS1
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

8-bit wrote:this is so sick. great work motoman.
thanks cody!
ak_slick wrote:Nice work... but the t2 makes me sad
haha me to man, me too. but none the less its still ka-t :)
nismo_dreaming wrote:Thats a great way to get into a turbo'd KA for dirt cheap. If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I DEF would have done a simple setup like this at first, then progessed into something bigger and badder. Nice work here man....I'll keep this in mind if someday I want to build a daily booster.
ya this is an easy/cheap way to get in the game and learn about the turbo system. also would make a fun daily driver or autocross car with the fast spool.
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

Nice work - Very creative
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

kjones wrote:Nice work - Very creative
thank you man :)
TanManS14
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TanManS14 »

How slow did u have to weld it? I was always told that with cast iron you had to weld really small sections at a time. Also heard of heating up 2 buckets of sand in the oven, putting the piece in one bucket and pouring the other over it to allow slower cooling. Though with a piece like that it'd be hard to weld quick enough for the sand to be used. What filler did u use? Very stock looking man, looks good.
It's always broken.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I'm not sure what rod he used.

But.. I did some research on some 'DIY' welding on cast iron, and some people have used 70S2, and/or 309L. I haven't had much luck on finding solid information. Also, some say weld fast, and don't let it get hot. Others say to weld slow, and cool it over a long period of time. So I have no idea.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Yea, if you weld fast i think it would have to be very fast, almost in a continuous stream, kinda impractical to weld that fast imo. Yea i heard you could use normal steel filler just wondering what he used. Thanks for the info! I plan on trying to weld a vband to a turbine housing, so just seein what the consensus is.
It's always broken.
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

silicon bronze filler, then put it in the oven and step it down in heat slowly.
motoman399
240sx Wannabe

Post by motoman399 »

well the cool thing about these manifolds and a lot of the import "cast iron" is that they are really cast steel. so i used my mig. this isnt my first time welding or welding cast steel. and i have never had it break. if you are welding cast iron you would use either nickel (nickle?) rod or you would braze it.

to weld the cast steel, i preheat the metal with a propane torch for a while, then lay a weld down on the hottest my little welder will go, then heat more with the torch to cool it down. i am fully confident that this technique works great and holds perfect. i havnt done much cast iron, but i know that after you weld it, you should take a sharp pointed object (punch or slag hammer) and "ping" the weld as you are heating with a torch cooling it down. let me know if that doesnt make any sense and ill try to clear it up a little.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

Naaa makes perfect sense, thanks for the advice. I just bought my gas tank, im waiting on my lenses and filler and **** and i can get started. Im so stoked.
It's always broken.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I have heard that a lot of the import stuff is cast steel. As is our steering knuckles that I have been doing some research on, and people don't want to share info on... And that was the conclusion about normal steel filler, or the 309L that has a bit more carbon in it to help (something like that) And the heating up of the cast steel definitely helps. I did some stock intake manifolds back in the day for some domestics, and used this method.

I think that manifold is still bad ass. I was worried that you may have had the turbo flange 'plane' off a little, and throw off the elbow and downpipe angles, but it looks like it came out great.
96NismoZ
240sx Wannabe

Post by 96NismoZ »

I weld on cast iron at work. Preheat the item to 200* and get welding. Try not to let it drop past 200*. If it doesjust re-apply preheat. You want to check your interpass temps often. Try not to go too far over 300* interpass. It'll take time. When you have welded it all toss it in the oven at 200* and slowly step down the temp over 4-5 hours.

You can do this many different ways, getting the same initial result. Doing the right process the best you can will let yours last waaaay longer than the other guys before cracking.

Not saying I know all, but that's what I would do based on what I've learned at work.
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

I know that car! Hes a socal guy...mat or jason... Something like that. I bet hes at the Johnnys frozen yogurt and pizza meet riiiiight now.
Last edited by keytops on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
oskars13kat
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by oskars13kat »

nice!! perfect for a daily driver
E-DieR
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by E-DieR »

nice if i knew about this in the first place i would done mine the same too instead of going with a t3/t4 top mount looks clean.
groundperformance
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by groundperformance »

Just had a manifold done by Alex and his workmanship is good. I do acknowledge the issue with the spacing on the turbo outlet but having used other bottom mount before none of them really lined up right and require some custom work on the downpipe regardless. This manifold will require some work on the turbo elbow and downpipe but its minor issue to have a clean stock looking KA-T setup. Some pics of my on going project..