What kind of weld is the strongest one? Welding Crank qestio

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
tryingtobebest
240sx Wannabe

What kind of weld is the strongest one? Welding Crank qestio

Post by tryingtobebest »

HI, i am working on the RB26 motor which has a steel stock cranck (so could be welded on i assume)
As many of us know RB and especially 26's has a huge oil pump drive collar issue, where oil pump got broken or collar on the cranck is getting stripped! In my case oil pump gear got cracked on one side and start wearing collar as you can see on the picture. What my qestion to all of you welders and fabricators is: can weld path be strong enough to resist constant micro hits, when crank in operation!?
And what kind of weld would be the strongest!

So what im after is: im planning to weld a nice tiny path and grind it smoothly and precisely with the file and grinder!!?

EDIT: Im not going to weld it myself! Im going to go to a weld shop but i need to know which weld (ROD?) to reqest!? Strongest one!

Anywhay please help!

No the greatest picture but you can see!

Last edited by tryingtobebest on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Cardomain - Click
marko76
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by marko76 »

I would suggest buying a new one or taking it to a machine shop, because judging from your post you don't really know much about welding... No offence...
Ka stands for: Kicks A$$!!
tryingtobebest
240sx Wannabe

Post by tryingtobebest »

Im not going to weld it myself! Im going to go to a weld shop but i need to know which weld (ROD?) to reqest!?
My Cardomain - Click
240cp

Post by 240cp »

Places sell crank collars for the rb series engines. You still have to have a machine shop mill down the original drive and press on new collar then weld, but it has a much larger surface to drive the pump for worry free oiling. Visit nico's rb section and you'll prolly find a user with one for sell. They are usally around a c'note.
tryingtobebest
240sx Wannabe

Post by tryingtobebest »

i do have a crank collar, laying under the bed, but im not reach enough to pay for a machinig!

and the topic was asking not about solution of this problem, it was about which weld is the strongest toughest one!!)

I have 2 amazing welder budys, who can weld beyond limits, both of them are the gods of welding, one of them is welded my intake! Of course i was shaving and did all the measurments (check in my cardomain, page 3)

Other one is just crazy, he can weld 2 scraping plades together Check this out this is INSANE - http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php? ... enumber=12

They both very busy guys, so before bothering htem i was thinking to ask this qestion in this part of the forum!

here is the feedback on GTRCANADA

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-tech/4 ... tions.html
My Cardomain - Click
tryingtobebest
240sx Wannabe

Post by tryingtobebest »

i do have a crank collar, laying under the bed, but im not reach enough to pay for a machinig!

and the topic was asking not about solution of this problem, it was about which weld is the strongest toughest one!!)

I have 2 amazing welder budys, who can weld beyond limits, both of them are the gods of welding, one of them is welded my intake! Of course i was shaving and did all the measurments (check in my cardomain, page 3)

Other one is just crazy, he can weld 2 scraping blades together. Check this out this is INSANE - http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php? ... enumber=12

They both very busy guys, so before bothering htem i was thinking to ask this qestion in this part of the forum!

here is the feedback on GTRCANADA

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-tech/4 ... tions.html
My Cardomain - Click
drunknmunky

Post by drunknmunky »

Holy smokes Anton...
Those Revhard guys can weld like no tomorrow.
tryingtobebest
240sx Wannabe

Post by tryingtobebest »

O.M.G.

Billy, how are you, hows your project!???))))

anywhay this Revhard is one guy, not a team, meet him in person, very very nice guy! His garage is a dream!)))

heres what hi did to another weak GTR spot, i bet its much much better than any aftermarket clutch pivot bolt now! Its unbrakable!)))

My Cardomain - Click
marko76

Post by marko76 »

Skills? Yes! A "welding god"? No.

If you guys are buds and all, why ask "What rod is the strongest?" Not trying to sound like a douche, or anything, but all you need to do is take it to your welder and say "Here, I need this as strong as I can get it" There is just so many rods you can use with ANY type of metal... If who ever you decide to pay to weld it is even a half @ss welder he will know what to use... Again I'm not being a douche, just being honest...
Ka stands for: Kicks A$$!!
808KA
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 808KA »

If your friend is a welding "God", why not ask him or go with what he says? I'm sure he's a better welder with more experience on working with metal than 99% of the members here. I'd go with what he says and run with it. /douchery
Do it!
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »