new to TIG questions

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
DRFTPUNK
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

new to TIG questions

Post by DRFTPUNK »

So I had experience with arc stick welding but my dad and I went and borrowed a TIG machine from my cousin. We've been welding aluminum and i've been wondering the "stack of dimes" look is what everyone seems to go for and i can do that sometimes but ive found when i mess up i can use the heat and the gas to produce a weld bead that looks continuous and smooth by going over it with the heat, mostly in 90* joints is this less structurally sound or does it just not look as pretty?

any helpful tips / tricks you might want to share?
supakat wrote:I will tell you one thing, if I had to choose between stretched tires and stretched pu$$y, I would go with tires.

S14 Zenki, GT35, 80lb injectors, RS Enthalpy tune, Eagle/ Wiseco 8.8/1.
Formerly Known as ISpentAllMyMoneyOnTires

RIP 480sx
z240xs
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by z240xs »

to be honest with you dude i took welding school i went to tech for welding as well as automotive the trick i was taught when it came to tig welding was to master the controlling of your heat if you can control your heat you can make whatever weld in whatever direction you want

a good person on here to talk to about welding is TinyT that guy has some AMAZING work with welding
boosting it! solving it!
DRFTPUNK
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by DRFTPUNK »

yeah i've seen some of Tinys work, pretty boss lol. i think im using too much heat and gas. maybe turn the power up a bit so i dont have to be to hard on the pedal? probably just need more practice but damn argon is expensive hahaha >.<
supakat wrote:I will tell you one thing, if I had to choose between stretched tires and stretched pu$$y, I would go with tires.

S14 Zenki, GT35, 80lb injectors, RS Enthalpy tune, Eagle/ Wiseco 8.8/1.
Formerly Known as ISpentAllMyMoneyOnTires

RIP 480sx