Eastwood Welders

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
Alt.240.130
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Eastwood Welders

Post by Alt.240.130 »

I am considering getting the Eastwood MIG 175 welder. Does anyone here own one? Use one?
They offer the welder, cart, auto helmet, and spool gun for ~700 shipped through their ebay store. Crazy cheap it seems. On other forums with threads on the topic a rep from Eastwood was pretty active and adamant about the quality of these units. They offer a 30 day refund policy and a 3 year warranty. Based on that I am about to give one a try.

Just wondering if anyone here has any insight.
TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

Same thing as harbor freight garbage. Buy a used miller, lincoln or esab off craigslist.
body80
240sx Wannabe

Post by body80 »

TinyT wrote:Same thing as harbor freight garbage. Buy a used miller, lincoln or esab off craigslist.

You sure about that?
They look axactly like my lincoln only a different color.

I figured that signed an agreement with Lincoln to rebadge their welders.
Jeff
Alt.240.130

Post by Alt.240.130 »

I have been looking. So far nothing. Since it would be my first machine I think it would work out okay. Plus the lincoln 180c w/ cart, helmet, and gun is double the price.
240cp

Post by 240cp »

I guess wth me the biggest issue would be if parts were available. I'm sure it comes with warranty but a welding machine is a lifetime investment not a replace it when it breaks item.
Alt.240.130

Post by Alt.240.130 »

I know what you mean. But this thing is so cheap I wouldn't have a problem upgrading it in four or five years if it breaks. It will be very seldom used. Just for learning and then a few minor jobs on my car. I know I'll at least get three years out of the thing.

Thats all assuming I dont find a deal on a miller/lincoln in the mean time.
Alt.240.130

Post by Alt.240.130 »

Haha, never mind. Found a MM 180 w/ cart and large tank for 700. Picking that up tomorrow.

But if anyone else has had any experience with these welders, please post. I'd like to know if these are a decent option or not.
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

There isn't a part on that looks like either Lincoln I own. (Pro Mig 175 and 180C)

Just looks like a cheap copy of a Lincoln down to the Spool Gun. (which I own the Lincoln model of as well)

I'll stick with the mantra of Lincoln, Miller, Esab, or Thermal Arc for welders.

Hypertherm or Thermadyne for Plasma.
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Any opinions on hobart welders? I'm going to be wanting a MIG welder soon, most likely working off a 110v plug.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

BigLoukaT wrote:Any opinions on hobart welders? I'm going to be wanting a MIG welder soon, most likely working off a 110v plug.
Hobart and Miller for all intense and purchases are the same company.

Hobart just doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Blue machines.
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

veilside180sx wrote:
BigLoukaT wrote:Any opinions on hobart welders? I'm going to be wanting a MIG welder soon, most likely working off a 110v plug.
Hobart and Miller for all intense and purchases are the same company.

Hobart just doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Blue machines.
Thanks, good to know. I've found a couple of good candidates on Craigslist for used welders, can't wait to have one.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I have a friend that bought a hobart...damn good from what I can see.
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

Ive never had any problems out of my eastwood i first seen them on powerblock tv what they use for all there big projects and i have a lincoln they both do about the same job on anything....
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
darchangl
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by darchangl »

I have purchased the cheap welders from harbor frieght and can honestly say the mig is crap, however their arc/tig setup is DEF well worth the money. Great welds are possible for almost all do it yourself-ers. Downside is obviously no pedal adjustment and it is not liquid cooled. Also you must buy regulators for the argon or w/e gas you will be using. but like i said i give those welders a 5star rating for learning tig and for quality and price.
darchangl
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by darchangl »

o btw the harbor frieght mig also is unable to weld aluminum. not sure if that was a nesc. or not.
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

Look into Hobart welders if you want a decent low end machine. It's made by miller in the USA. Been having the little handler 125 for a few years now, been working great.

The handler 125 and 140 have an internal solenoid valve to run gas. All you need is a bottle and regulator. The 140 comes with a regulator. Don't get the 125EZ model, it isn't set up for gas.

The handler 125 has handled all of my fab needs for my car. It welds thin stuff pretty well with .024" wire and gas. Trying to weld thin stuff with flux is near impossible.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
kaE30
NooB

Re: Eastwood Welders

Post by kaE30 »

Also Lincoln 125 I believe is good. My own personal mig at home. Does good up to aboit1/4-3/8 then starts heating up. And over loading
sdaigle240

Re: Eastwood Welders

Post by sdaigle240 »

figured id mention our shop has had Eastwood MIG and TIG for several years and they get used a TON. i used to play with a $7,500 miller tig and i have no complaints about this eastwood TIG, besides just wanting to add a water cooler. i dont mig much but no one seems to complain about it or have any functionality issues.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s