Kee Klamp Alternatives?

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Kee Klamp Alternatives?

Post by airman »

Hello all,

What I am looking for isn't directly related to cars or anything, but I was hoping someone here may know what I'm looking for and try to find something a little more cost effective...

I am in the process of designing a large computer desk to fit three 24" monitors, and I'm looking into doing it as a tube-frame style. However, I want it to be modular to where I can break it down if/when I have to (so no welding).

What I am looking for are Kee Klamps - without the fancy brand name and even the "Klamp" portion of it. All of the ones that I can find use set-screws and market the fact that these things are "weldless". That's nice and all, but to get all of the fittings that I need I'd be spending over $130 for them.

So, imagine a Kee Klamp:

In a cheap, galvanized, [chinese] version where the set screws aren't there, and instead I would place the pipe inside of the fitting, drill through both sides, (holes in the fitting already exist) and stick a bolt with a nut on the end of it through.

There has GOT to be something like this out there! I can't imagine not one company has made something between welding/threading ends and these fancy Kee Klamps.

Please, someone be my savior! LOL

Basic, incomplete idea:

Image[/img]
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
sicks13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by sicks13 »

Home Depot has this stuff for chain link fences:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... ogId=10053
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

You could get pipes and a pipe threader and make it really strong, wouldnt be that cheap or light though.. How about galvanized gas pipe fittings? Pretty cheap at any home improvement store

D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Yeah I saw the fencing stuff but they don't have them as small as I need (1" - 1.25" pipe) and don't really have all the different types that I need.

As far as threading the pipes go, I would have a LOT of threading to do that I'd like to avoid...
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

You could get them with threads on the outside or not at all (for strength) and drill a hole through? Or weld everything and have a few removable or folding parts.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

+1 for chainlink fence materials or plumbing . (I work weekends at Rona btw).

Top rail sections are 1.25" x 10' long ($15)

Use 1.5" posts cut to size as legs. Use 1.25" top rail sections for everything horizontal. Use rail end assemblies to tie it together.

Plumbing:

Use accessories (Tee's, 90's, flanges etc) that are next size up from the pipe you're running, they wont thread in but then u could use a set screw or bolt through it. No threading.
1973 Datsun 240Z KA24DET
Build Thread:viewtopic.php?t=52102&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

That's good thinking. The only thing about the threaded couplers is that they are quite thick and I hope that I wouldn't have much trouble drilling through them. I'll go take a look at Lowe's sometime this week and sniff around.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

They are a decently soft metal as far as i remember, i dont think drilling through will be a problem

I have 2 straight female threaded sections welded on my oil pan for a turbo drain bung and also oil temp sensor lol