Switching to E85... keep the water meth injection or not?

For those other forced induction brothers
adamky
SuperMod

Switching to E85... keep the water meth injection or not?

Post by adamky »

So, I've been running 93 oct + water/meth injection for a while now. I've decided to switch to E85, but I can't decide whether to keep the water meth injection, or just run without it.

I know E85 by itself will work fine because of it's high octane. But, I kinda like the cooling effect the water meth has on the intake charge. Also, since I spray the water meth pre-supercharger, it helps to seal the rotors and I usually get an extra 1-2 psi of boost.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Overkill?
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Better to be safe than sorry. Extra protection if you ask me. Also, since it generates 1-2lbs more, why not?
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Plus even lower intake temps for even more timing/power.

I like to think of it like this, STi/EVO guys are intercooled and still add water meth for more power. That's basically what you would be doing where e85 would be your 'intercooler' in comparison.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
body80
240sx Wannabe

Post by body80 »

I'm not completely up to date on E85 tuning and I remember seeing something like you need 30% more fuel running E85 then you do running gas.

Since you're running more fuel and on top of this plan on running meth/water is there any chance of hydro locking the motor?

At what point does that become a concern?
Jeff
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

in my car when I switch tables it works out to more like 20-25% more for E85.

To the hydrolocking question...Im not sure . I guess its possible since you're going to be adding more fuel but Id be inclined to say it should not be a factor but then again Ive not run the combination .
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks for the advice. I did some searching online and this has definitely been done before. I think I will run both. I may run a little less methanol in my tank than I do with 93 octane though. I run 50/50 now. I'll probably try 30% meth and see how that does.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

If the spray is atomized enough, then no, it couldn't hydrolock your motor unless it literally pours into the cylinders in liquid form. The water/meth will immediately flash to steam/a gas and lower combustion temperatures as soon as it hits the cylinder.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
sik_z33
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by sik_z33 »

I say why not. As you and other people have mentioned lower intake temps is always a good thing and you can't ever be too safe so i would try it both ways to see if the advantages warrant running both. Do you monitor you intake temp?
Daily: 2003 Super Black 350z
Project: 1991 Cherry Red Pearl Rocketship Coupe ka-t (simple n62 maf, Master power 50 Trim, 550cc STI injectors, tial 38mm, enthalpy rom tune, rest of the goodies set up)
klattr1
Forum Moderator

Post by klattr1 »

Here's my advice...tune for the E85 but don't tune for the water/meth injection (meaning don't add timing or lean it out when using it)...that will keep the setup safe and reliable.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

klattr1 wrote:Here's my advice...tune for the E85 but don't tune for the water/meth injection (meaning don't add timing or lean it out when using it)...that will keep the setup safe and reliable.
That's what I was planning. I want to use the water meth as an extra measure of protection and to get the extra 1-2 psi of boost.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really hope to get this thing running on E85 and get it dyno'd within a month or so.
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

body80 wrote:I'm not completely up to date on E85 tuning and I remember seeing something like you need 30% more fuel running E85 then you do running gas.

Since you're running more fuel and on top of this plan on running meth/water is there any chance of hydro locking the motor?

At what point does that become a concern?
When you are using a hose as a fuel injector.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

sik_z33 wrote: Do you monitor you intake temp?
I do have a PLX air intake temp gauge. I don't have a way to log it, but I can glance at the gauge during a wot pull.
klattr1
Forum Moderator

Post by klattr1 »

adamky wrote: I do have a PLX air intake temp gauge. I don't have a way to log it, but I can glance at the gauge during a wot pull.
Where do you have the sensor mounted? post or pre-meth?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Post meth. It's mounted to the top of the supercharger plate.
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

adamky wrote:Post meth. It's mounted to the top of the supercharger plate.
Wouldn't it be pre-meth now that you have your nozzles mounted on the runners?

What kind of temps are you seeing?
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I am no longer running the individual port setup since I am switching to E85. I just have one 175 ml/min nozzle at the supercharger inlet. The air temp sensor is mounted in the supercharger plate, kind of between runners 1&2.

I haven't driven the car a lot because I have still been working on little issues here and there, such as vacuum leaks. I've seen the temps get over 200 on a hot day. Most days, they run around 160 degrees. I have not had a chance to see if the temps drop with the water/meth setup running and full boost.
torch'd
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by torch'd »

adam i know ur setup is well developed. wondering y u placed it there??? ive been monitoring things on my sohc and noticed 3&4 are significcantly hotter thats y i ask.

johnny
going fast, i can do that... this going sideways thing is tricky.....
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

The supercharger outlet blows up directly at cylinders 1&2. I guess that's why I put it there...? Also for convenience. It's a pain to get the sensor in and out of the manifold due to the way the wire kinks as I'm threading it in. I have to remove the glovebox and pull all of the wire through the firewall when removing/replacing it. It would really be tough if I had it between cylinders 3&4.

Here's a recent pic to show where it is. It's that wire with the red part on it coming up between the runners: