Supercharged Hybrid Z24/Ka24e Build in D21

For those other forced induction brothers
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Supercharged Hybrid Z24/Ka24e Build in D21

Post by Adrenalin »

Hi Everyone.

Quick introduction, I'm new to the forum and I'm from Australia (SA).

I've been searching through the forum looking for info and ideas for my D21 build for a while now.
I decided it was probably about time I contribute and post a build thread to share what I have been working on.

I have a 1988 Nissan Navara D21.
It was an ex-farm ute that I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away.
The D21 was factory delivered with a Z24 carby motor and 2wd 5 speed.
The ute has a very farm like dropside flatbed tray and everything else stock.
The factory dash has a speedo and an analogue clock the same size, haha. No tacho.

In that form it did 398,000kms or 248,750 miles.
I believe the only thing apart from std services that was done to the ute in this time was a valve job.

I drove the D21 in that form for about half a year. It ran reliable and great, but was well down on power.
Climbing a decent hill on the highway dropped the speed from 100km/h to 70km/h in fourth gear at full noise.
Turns out she had lost the use of the second barrel in the carby and also had no vac advance.
Fixing those problems, I was still not greatly impressed by the power. 100hp from factory... but I'm sure I didn't even have that.

So I started looking for a cheap and quick fix to fill the void of power.
Long story short, I decided to buy a cheap second-hand toyota supercharger (SC-14) and boost the Z24, blow-through carby.
I've turbocharged a Mazda 626 before with good results, so am hopeful for the d21.

The appeal of the supercharger is that the SC-14 has a magnetic clutch on the drive pulley.
This allows the SC to be turned on and off as desired.

As the planning and research started, my original plans changed a bit.

Full rebuild of Z24
Bore & hone block, surface grind deck
Ditch the 8 valve head and swap for the Kae 12 valve head and efi intake (giving me the stronger Z main bearings and rods with the 12 valve better flowing head and bigger intake)
Std rods.
New KA24e pistons with press fit pins
Siliconchip Programmable high energy ignition kit. (converts points to digital ignition but still uses dizzy for distribution)
FMIC (from ford FG xr6t)
Fab custom mounts for supercharger (SC-14 is a twin lobe roots blower)
Fab all new inlet pipe, bypass pipe, bypass valve mount, etc.
Custom Programable bypass valve controller
Custom crankshaft adaptor to suit 6v pulley to drive SC
Wideband O2 sensor and gauge.
Tacho
Boost gauge
New clutch
Drop ride height by approx 2"
Change fuel to dedicated LPG using scuba tank under tray, blowthrough GRA LPG 70mm throttlebody and boost refferenced B2 converter.

LPG and performance.
In case anyone is unfamiliar with LPG as a fuel and the idea of using it with power adders, here is something you might find interesting.
LPG as a dedicated fuel can make very good power, if the engine is built and tuned specifically for the fuel!
In Australia, many cars run dual fuel, petrol and LPG. This is done for economy, because LPG is much cheaper than petrol (LPG $0.70 per L vs petrol $1.45 per L). Although you do requires a bit more LPG than you would petrol per km travelled.
With dual fuel the aim is economy and saving money. This also means that most dual fuel set-ups are a compromise between being tuned for both fuel. The result is generally less power when running on either fuel.

Anyway, LPG for performance is great.
People in OZ have made huge power and very fast street and drag cars that run on dedicated LPG.
LPG LOVES boost! They are a match made in heaven.
LPG has a higher octane rating, prefers higher compression ratios, burns slower but with a higher heat, is a dry fuel, and if fitted correctly is very safe.
LPG is already at a gas state when it enters the plenum so mixes readily and evenly with boost.

LPG is now offered as an liquid injected option from after-market suppliers here in OZ, but mainly for stock engines.

I will be tuning A/F by Lambda as this is easier when dealing with LPG.

I think that's about it.
Plan of running 7-10psi and seeing other results guess to make about 200-240hp...

Sorry I don't have any before photos of the ute.
Last edited by Adrenalin on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Re: Supercharged Hybrid Z24/Ka24e Build in D21

Post by Adrenalin »

If I use the Nissan naming convention, I guess I'm building a Z/KA24PR. :cool:

Okay a few pics.

Here is the supercharger.
As said before, its a Toyota or Ogura SC-14 PD blower from the Japanese market 1G-GZE 2L inline six.
Being a twin lobe PD blower, its not the most efficient supercharger but was cheap and readily available.
It came with the magnetic clutch, ali cast inlet and outlet pipes and electric bypass valve.

The SC-12 on the left is a smaller version.
The Sc-14 displaces approx 1400cc, making it a pretty good match for the 2.4L engine.
Because of the SC's design, it can be mounted remote from the intake, allowing me to run an FMIC easily.

Here is a drawing of the charger from the Ogura site.

The SC-14 was $400 from a local Japanese import wrecker.

The engine block back from the machine shop. Still in its original blue.

The bottom end in...

The pistons and rods...

Skip a few steps like magic and we have a painted block with KAe head, clutch, dizzy etc...

And engine is ready to go in the D21.

Pretty standard looking at this stage.
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Awesome build! Keep it up.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Thanks CMJ.

It's a bit of a basic and low budget build, but should prove to be a lot of fun.
Not trying to set the world on fire, just get up a hill a bit quicker.... :D

Some more pics of parts, because everyone loves pics...

The FMIC. Nice bit of kit. It's actually a Garrett core.
The guy I bought it from has polished it up. I'll probably paint it black again haha.
I want the ute to be a bit of a sleeper rather than an obviously modified vehicle.

Gauge cluster I made out of plywood. I know it looks pretty back yard at the moment.
Not finished by a long shot and not sure if I will keep it. It will be filled, smoothed and painted black to match the rest of the instrument surrounds.

It currently has a second hand tacho and boost gauge looking pretty shabby next to the brand new wideband gauge.

Moving along...

This is the LPG scuba tank that fits under the tray. Also gives you a look at the flat bed tray.
The tank is an APA 60L unit designed to replace large sedan fuel tanks.
Apparently these tanks with the standard single lockoff and line are good for 220kw which should be more than enough.
You can also see the LPG filler that replaces the petrol fuel line, mounting to the same location.

Some more LPG fuel system parts.
This is the LPG throttle body and lpg converter (converts lpg from a liquid state to gas by heating the LPG with engine coolant).
These parts are not my pictures, but borrowed from the web. Don't have individual pics of these parts.

I'm using the S400 throttle body on my engine which supposedly flows 400cfm. I also have an S440 which flows just over 450cfm.
Should be adequate.

Twin turbosmart blowoff valves, another second hand buy. I'm using one of these modified as a bypass valve while my cousin finishes building and programming the custom electronic bypass valve driver.
The driver will use the MAP sensor in the ignition system as a reference for boost and load.
I will have a 3 way switch on the dash.
Position 1 is supercharger off, bypass open
Position 2 is supercharger on constant, but bypass actuated at idle etc.
Position 3 is automatic and will switch the supercharger and bypass on and off due to engine load and demand (e.g. driving up a hill and more power is required). And yes, my cousin is a bit of a electronics and programming guru. It's all over my head anyway...

This is the ignition system I am using.

It comes as a packaged kit and you build/assemble it yourself just like a megasquirt only far more basic.

Here is a progress shot the the main board for the ignition module.

The kit requires, the main board, a coil driver, a hand held controller (for in car tuning) and an optional knock sensor board which can be added. I have used this option and put a knock sensor on the engine. This allows you to tune knock sensitivity and retard ignition if it starts to knock. Cool feature for a carby engine! This module also allows me to make a custom map for the ignition curve, which I needed due to the change from petrol to LPG. There is also an option to run 2 different maps and have a switch to select between the two. This is for 2 different fuel types or a safe map and a performance map etc. I think this will really wake up the engine. :dance:
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Okay, so here is where I first had the engine in the pickup, and started to design and fabricate the supercharger mounting bracket.

I tired placing it on the intake side of the engine, but the steering rack (RHD cars in OZ) was in the way, along with the big ass oil filters these things run.
The other issue was that the pickup has AC which I wanted to keep (gets to 40+ deg C in SA) and this and the dizzy was in the way on the exhaust side. But after looking at pictures of other SOHC KA's supercharged, I saw that people had stuck them over the dizzy before.
So that where I put mine as well.

The bracket is made from 8mm MS plate and bolts to the timing chain/ water pump cover.
There is a second lower bracket that bolts on the end of the AC mounting bracket and supports the SC from underneath the outlet port.

In the image above you can see a mock up test fit of the SC, mounting brackets, intake, drive belt and inlet pipe.
For the time being, I decided to run without the FMIC, so the inlet pipe runs from the SC, over the radiator and into the throttle body.
I just fabbed the pipe work out of thin wall MS tube and a box on mandrel bends I bought from an exhaust shop.

I had the injector ports and any other unnecessary holes in the intake tig welded up. Also cut the mounting flange from the intake elbow that came with the throttle body off and had that tig welded to the FWD nissan Pintara Ka24e intake manifold. Gave it a sand blast etc.

Pretty happy with the pipe work. Nice big smooth bends. Had to add a reducing cone to adapt from the intake pipe to the size of the throttle body. I think its 2.5" to 3.5". Don't mind the packing tape holding it in place...

I had to make an in-line thermostat housing out of the Z24 cover and another donor cover I found somewhere, because the ka24e FWD head has no thermostat.

You can also see the tig welded flange on the intake and the fact that the intake slant backwards, not forwards. That's because the original throttle body for this intake would have been facing the firewall (hitting the firewall). I actually made a blocking plate for the front end, and cut the back end off instead. :wtf:
Yeah could have tracked down a RWD intake, but they can only be found on Ka24e powered pickups here, but they are not forward facing either from what I understand. Much like the Z24 intake.

Supercharger all bolted in with new drive belt and idler/tensioner pulley.
You can also see the custom throttle cable bracket to suit the throttle body.

A pic of the front of the ute and engine bay in chaos.

And this is where I am up to at the moment.
Pipework painted, reference line from intake pipe to LPG converter (boost reference).
Water lines to LPG converter etc.

Pretty close now.
Just need to tidy up wiring, tune LPG, load ignition map, test drive etc.

Thinking about changing the crappy std Z24 exhaust manifold for some extractors (maybe custom made) and a full exhaust system.
It's probably only 2" at the moment which I think will be a restriction on making optimal power.
Anyone built a custom header from scratch for these engines?
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

This is one of the better SC builds I've seen. That piping looks great without intercooler. I only hope it's as clean when you put the IC in.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

This thing is awesome, i think its awesome you are going LPG since the octane is even more than E85

Ill be lurking!
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Thanks for the comments guys.
I hope to update with more progress soon, but could be a week before i can get back to the build.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

I found the dxf file for the Ka24e exhaust flange posted by a very kind member.
So I thought I'd CAD up some extractors for the D21.
Not sure about the figment in the vehicle yet, haven't taken measurements of the engine bay and cabin, but shouldn't take much to tweak once measurements are in hand.

Extractors are calculated using a website I found. I do have a book that covers exhaust design but can't find it at the moment.
Design is obviously 4-1, primaries are equal length 1.5" @ 44.5" long, into a 2.5" collector after cone merge at 7*.
The rest of the system will be a 2.5" muffler and short tail pipe, maybe exiting driver side in front of the rear wheel.

A few images of the first design

I might cut 2 flanges and have a spare for a turbo manifold for the future.
I have it in my head that in the future I may go twin charge with a small turbo or just remove the blower and put on one of the GT35R's I have for my other build.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

I have done some further digging on the specs of the Sc14.
There is a lot of garbage information posted on the net about these blowers by people who have tried to fit them to larger displacement engines (3.6 - 5.0L) without understanding their designed efficiency parameters. Subsequently, when they overdrive the blower to try and get 12psi on a 3.6L motor, they are disappointed with performance (because its well outside the efficiency range of the blower) and surprised when the blower dies (because they have constantly over sped the blower beyond design parameters).

Wanting some actual facts and manufacturer specs instead of forum opinions, I found out that the blowers are made by Ogura.
It appears that Ogura made modified versions of their standard product range for various Toyota engines.
These include the 2TZ-FZE and the 1G-GZE which were fitted with the SC-14.

Now I originally thought the SC-14 only came off the 1G-GZE (2.0L DOHC i6).
But now knowing that Toyota put them on the 2TZ-FZE (2.4L DOHC i4) I'm pretty excited.
2TZ-FZE specs from Toyota Privia
118 kW (158 hp) @ 5,000 rpm
258 N·m (190 lb·ft) @ 3,600 rpm
This power was developed from 6psi with intercooler. (Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Estima)

I have identified that the type of SC-14 I have came from a 2TZ-FZE, which makes it ideal for the Z24 or Ka24 engine.

I tracked down the compressor map and other specs of Ogura's TX15 with 1460cc of PD compared to the alleged 1420cc of the SC-14.
Good info for understanding the operating limits of this blower.

So if I overdrive the blower for 'a short time' I can push the pressure ratio to 2.0, being a nominal 14.7psi.
At the max constant design pressure ratio of 1.8, I can boost to a nominal 11.76PSI.

If I remember the pulley sizes correctly, the cranks pulley is 136mm (5.35") and the SC pulley is 100mm (4") giving me a drive ratio of 1.36. This should give me about 11.75PSI at 1.8 pressure ratio.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Started buying parts for the full custom exhaust.
The factory cast exhaust manifold has now cracked very badly. The exhaust now choofs and parts badly. I hate it.

New exhaust. 1.5" primaries into 4 into 1 collector merge.
3" tube to tail with 3"x12" resonator and 3" hooker aerochamber muffler.

Should be a great breathing system for a supercharged engine. May be a little loud but hopefully not ricey.
Allows easy upgrade to a 3" turbo system in the future if need be.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Exhaust will definitely be loud!

Interesting project with the mix of parts you have. Let us know how it does on the dyno.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Thanks.
Yeah i tried to see videos online and do some research as to how loud it will be.
Most people running na or sc with a 3" system seemed to only have a cannon or single muffler.
I'm hoping the small resenator will help keep the sound clean and lower the db a little. Needs to be 96 here to be street legal. If its too loud i can always put a third muffler in.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

I built the custom headers, collector and tail pipe over the weekend. Still need to finish welding up the tailpipe, muffler and exhaust hangers. I have the headers and resonator hotdog fitted to the ute as is without gaskets. I started it up and man its deep and loud, but not in an obnoxious way. Gave it a rev and rpm picks up so quickly now. I had to tune the idle mix as it was reading 0.75 lamba. Amazing how much difference a good flowing exhaust makes to the afrs. I'll put a vid and maybe some pictures up when i'm finished.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Exhaust system finished.
It has taken probably four solid days to fabricate the whole system.
I ended up adding a second muffler and extending the exhaust right out to the rear of the ute. Second muffler is a 3" in twin 2.5" out magnaflow. Sounds great now. Still gets the high rev reverberations but sounds pretty clean.
Still needs a coat of high temp paint to finish.
I'll post some picks soon.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Okay a few pics i took before refitting the newly fabbed exhaust.

You can see the under axle extension and extra muffler i recently added as its nice and shiny still. The rest of the exhaust has already taken on a slight surface rust. Really happy with the way it sounds now. Very deep and gutsy.
Soekraights
Learners Permit

Post by Soekraights »

Right on man. I would be interested to hear some quality clips of it... How is the bypass\magnetic clutch control set up coming?
LONG LIVE THE THIRD PEDAL!!!

BUILD:http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=42& ... 1cd1264261

WTB:
KOUKI HOOD
USDM KOUKI PASS. SIDE HEADLIGHT OR JUST THE PLASTIC LENS
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Yeah no probs i'll post some vids when i get a chance.

The clutch and sc system is all hooked up and works like a charm. The bypass on the other hand is less than great. I am still using the vacuum actuated bypass and i think its far too small. When driving with the blower off it really feels starved for air. It also seems to kill the vac signal for the lpg resulting in fluctuating mixtures, which actually gives a lean mix. Nothing extreme but means you need to drive pretty steady, which is the opposite of what i want to do.

The elec bypass is on ice as the guy that is programing and building it for me is flat out with work. I think i'll rip off the charge gear after i take some vids and just stick a filter on the carb and run na untill the elec bypass is done.
ogskeeta
NooB

Post by ogskeeta »

Awesome build mate, mad to see other Australians doing cool stuff to d21's!
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

wow never noticed this thread. this is pretty rad. ill def have to read through this thread start to Finnish when i get some time.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Thanks guys appreciate the kind words. It's been a while since I've worked on the d21. Been busy working on my house instead.

Pretty keen to put the 2" drop axles on the front soon. I also want to do the big brake upgrade at the same time (300mm with 4 pots). Overkill but why not. Does anyone know if this combo will require larger rims? 15" rims are needed to run the drop axles and 16" to run 300mm rotors. So would that mean minimum 17" rims to run both?
flip240

Post by flip240 »

This thread is really cool. I'm hooked! I love reading about the different ways people have gone with their KA motors!
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Been pretty unhappy with the results of the build thus far.
Mostly due to being stuck in no man's land due to not knowing what the fuel tuning should be nor the ignition cure.
Compounding the issue I made the noob mistake of trying to change both at once.

So I left the ignition alone and set about trying to in a very basic way change the dizzy.
LPG likes much more initial advance compared to petrol and then much less total advance compared to petrol.

So at this point I have taken apart the dizzy and locked the mechanical advance. I have also discounted the vac advance to simplify things. This is really the first step in plotting the new curve on the digital ignition kit. Early on when I first installed the digital ignition I had issues before I could even get to plot a cure. As soon the the ignition was turned on and before the engine even cranked over, the plugs started firing constantly at a fast constant interval. I couldn't sort this so pulled the ignition and decided to work on the lpg tune alone.

I advanced the static ignition to about 17deg. At the moment it runs pretty well (NA). Still having issues with boost leaning the lpg tune massively. So bought a Vortech Mondo bypass valve.
This, due to its massive diaphragm, is supper responsive and able to open with small amounts of vac yet close as soon as a sniff of boost comes along. This coupled with the electric bypass will allow NA operation when blower is off and hopefully responsive even tunes when on boost.

Let me tell you, this bypass valve is massive! It has a 2" (50.8mm) bore and similar sized oval shaped outlet.
The diaphragm is about 3.5" in diameter. Makes the turbosmart blowoff valve I was trying to use look like a toy.
The valve came with an aluminium flange so I need to get a steel flange lasercut to fit to my intake.
Hope to have this installed next week.

Also looking at the Innovate Motorsports SSI-4 so I can log A/F, boost, RPM and TPS. This will give me insight into what I'm currently missing and currently only guessing at.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Great build! Love the custom parts, it always sets a build apart from the norm.

Keep up the great work!! I wanna hear more about your method of tuning this thing with LPG.

Videos of it running/driving??
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Thanks.
No vids of it running yet. Trying to get it respectable and driving well before I take some video.

The ignition curve is programmed via a hand held controller plugged into the digital ignition module. It uses the points as a signal only and can store 2 selectable maps. It also has a knock sensor to retard ignition until it stops.

Plan is, once the module is installed and working, I will plot a very conservative map. Then combined with the rpm, boost, tps and a/f logs, I can increment the amount of advance on the curve. Probably should get a new cam ground for lpg as well. I think lpg prefers large lift but short duration.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Okay little update.
Finally making some progress I think.
Well first a backward step.

Dizzy started playing up and ignition would drop out at anything over light throttle.
Checked everything and reset timing. Mechanical advance was erratic at best.
Also factory coil was on its last legs

So in went a new MSD blaster 2 coil and new set of ngk plugs.
It seems my first attempt to lock the mech advance was temporary. So again took out the dizzy and locked the mechanical advance by putting locktight on the rotor advance shaft. Now its stuck!
Resemble and set timing to 16BTDC. (for LPG) With no advance mechanism this means I'm running a constant 16deg.
Not ideal but better than erratic timing. Also re-gapped the dizzy points which were out and also causing issues.

Idles and revs smoother than it ever has.
Road test tomorrow. :P

If all goes well, next step is the digital ignition install.

Steel flange for the Mondo arrived from the laser cutters as well as the Innovate Motorsport LMA-2 AuxBox (data logger).
If the digital ignition goes well then in goes the blower again.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Little update.
The digital ignition system is in and working.
My first attempt at a map is loaded and referenced against a 2bar absolute pressure sensor.
Fired up first shot and idles silky smooth at 600rpm, which is amazing considering the old mech dizzy had to be at 1000rpm to idle on lpg.

Please note this map may look wrong for E85 or petrol(gas) as it starts with more advance but finishes with less.
Not sure how much to dial back when on boost. I'll be running a front mount and compression is 8.3:1.
Lpg is also supposed to have a reasonably high octane rating but I heard this can drop and should not be relied on.

Only problem is I unplugged the wideband to load the map (manual plotting in car which takes a while) so I wouldn't fry the O2 sensor.
Now I have to reset the gauge back to Lambda but I don't have the correct cable.
I ran to a few different shops tonight after work but no luck. :( Really wanted to road test tonight.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Revised map. Much smoother and more overall advance.
Just took it for a test drive and man what a difference the digital ignition makes. Hello 4000rpm, where have you been hiding?
No joke, first time this thing has really revved past 3000rpm since on LPG.

I still think it could do with more advance above 3500rpm, but I think I'll wait and see what adding boost back into the mix does.

Soekraights
Learners Permit

Post by Soekraights »

Nice headway. Looking forward to seeing the setup and your impressions of the Vortech Bypass. This is one of the frontrunners on my list possible units.

Keep it coming.
LONG LIVE THE THIRD PEDAL!!!

BUILD:http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=42& ... 1cd1264261

WTB:
KOUKI HOOD
USDM KOUKI PASS. SIDE HEADLIGHT OR JUST THE PLASTIC LENS
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Finally got around to fabbing the new vortech flange to the sc outlet tube.
I'll try and fit it up this weekend. Keen to see how It works and what sort of difference it makes and get some photos.

Also keen to install the lma-3 and log rpm, boost, a/f and acceleration.
If I can get a tps I can adapt to the lpg carb and log throttle position as well. This will help me fine tune the bugs in the fueling.

My genius cousin also made me a micro controller to convert the lpg sender signal of 0-90 ohms to the d21's fuel gauge resistance. Also has other built in wizardry to stop false readings from fuel slosh.