Fuel Management

For those other forced induction brothers
rhart
Learners Permit

Fuel Management

Post by rhart »

Hey Guys,

My question is one of fuel management when using a supercharger. What is it that you would recommend to manage the fuel needs of a supercharged KA24DE? I could mirror the info from the turbo set ups forum section, but figured it might be best to post here, so it would be application specific. I'm in the process of piecing together a set up and thought I would throw this question out to those that have sc'd their car previously (or turbo'd for that matter) since its not covered in the SC FAQ sticky.

I'd like a discussion on just adding fuel, not about the merits of e85 or horrors detonation, unless its relative to how to get more fuel into the cylinder head. The set up WILL be inter-cooled. Water/Meth injection is NOT an option.

I lurk this forum a lot and enjoy it greatly...so much so I've decided to finally get serious about supercharging my s13.

I already have the m62 Xterra SC and SR 370 injectors. This is a "starter" kit, no upgraded pulley (yet)...10ish lbs of boost is what i'm expecting to base fuel need calculations off. Thanks for the advise in advance.

-R
rhart
Learners Permit

Re: Fuel Management

Post by rhart »

Shucks, I didn't think I would stump the forum...lol. I know these msg boards can be kinda slow. My fingers are crossed and I'm hopeful as I wait for an answer or two.

-R
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

It doesnt matter what motor/power-adder you are using, you need an engine management system. You pick whatever you want and go with it. People like aem ems a lot.

Read through some supercharger build threads and you will find your answer. You need to do some research.
if you just want to manage fuel, use an safc.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

+1 with shift
you need something to manage the tune for the additional fuel.

general consensus is safc is for fine tuning
a standalone or tuned ecu is really what you will want. question for you though, why choose such a small injector size for 10lbs?
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
rhart
Learners Permit

Post by rhart »

Thanks for chiming in guys. As a member since 09, I've been sifting through this forum for a while. I agree with you Shift, that AEM, or Mega-squirt, or Haltech stand alones will get the job done, that's their function. I've considered them and the cost is the sticking point for them. Dollar for dollar its hard to argue with something designed to do what i'm asking,and is flexible to grow with the project too. I havent ruled them out as an option.

Beercan - ROM/ECU tuning is definitely doable too. I've heard that its not a bad Idea to use the SAFC to fine tune after you have had the ecu flashed or what not.

I really just wanted to start the conversation on the build and its may options concerning fuel and fuel management. I want to do this right the first time. Spend the money once, that's never a bad thing.

As far as the 370cc injectors: the reason i'm using them is because I have them on hand. Though I think 550cc injectors might be a better starting point, with more tuning ceiling. What are your thoughts?

I was hoping to start something more SC specific, related to the pitfalls of tuning when supercharging. The heat factor and what not...who has tried intercooling...blah blah blah. SC tech talk. :)

Here are some pix of my block torn down and getting ready for a trip to the machine shop: This is my first step. The block is raw, nothing has been done to it, even. It even had the original Nissan bearings in it when i disassembled it. It will had the usual full ARP package and forged internals.

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

When you deck the head and block, make sure you also resurface the timing covers as well.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
rhart
Learners Permit

Post by rhart »

That sure would be the ultimate fail to have that nasty little misalignment when doing the reassemble huh?

This is my place of employment by the way...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Automodz/268463913220973
We deal mostly with DSM stuff w/ 4g63s and those crazy srt4s and their 2.4 liter turbo'd engines. I'm trying to get a little RWD into the shop, not there is anything wrong with Evos and GSXs. :)
rhart
Learners Permit

Post by rhart »

Back on topic (well more related to fuel and fuel management):

The question was asked about running 370cc injectors which I would run because I have them on the shelf. Is there another you would suggest initially for a Supercharged KA? And whats your reasoning?