safc2 tuning, after the 240 intake install

For those truckers!
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

safc2 tuning, after the 240 intake install

Post by schmauster920 »

I dont know if its just my truck, but i would get a rough idle / popping after a few minutes idling after the swap... ive recently purchased an safc2 and after leaning the idle out -25% it idles very smooth and it doesnt smell like a 60s camaro. (no cat for me)

Ive got a wideband, ill be having the bung welded in in a couple days so i can really find out what happens to the mixture with no correction when the intake swap is done... maybe it has to do with the truck maf / 240 ecu..

im not going to mess with any of the hi settings pre wideband, so i dont mess anything up... with N/A and 8.7:1 compression im not too worried though!
julienmark
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by julienmark »

With my 93 Australian D21 ,i could not mix and match the truck Maf and 240 ECU or visa versa . It run a bit rich

And if i used the 240 ECU and 240 Maf i had to reverse the ground and the signal wiring to the Maf. ( the two wires inside the sheild ) or it ran as rough as ****.

Also be careful if using the truck maf insert in the 240sx housing, the heater pins on the truck insert are slightly wider / longer and can short out inside the 240 housing

I finally settled on the 240sx ECU and Maf and it runs normal, Although i have lost some low end , mid power and gained some top end.

Also the idle control valve air line sits in between the throttle body and the maf

These are SOME of the problems i ran into.

Which wide band are you getting and how much .?

Mark
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

i couldnt get the 240 maf to work with the 240 ecu.. im guessing its the wiring as you said! the 240 sensor fits in the housing much better, being able to use both screws. I ground down the pins on the maf enough so they wouldnt contact the case.

I ditched my idle control valve along with the rest of my emissions, i had the SCV and EGR ports tig welded on the 240 intake manifold. (40 bucks) It idles off of throttle screw adjustment.

Ive already got the wideband, i got the AEM Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller.. its very simple and down to the point, not to mention fairly cheap on ebay (200).. im just waiting for my paycheck so i can pay the welder to put the bung in the exhaust port... then i will report back on my AFR findings.. My plugs have always looked pretty good, so i think its just at idling it was running rich... but the wideband will tell!

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

I want to get comfortable with the safc2 and wideband before i have any boost and blow things up.

I saw your lack of brake hardware on the exhaust side... i know everyone including me is very jealous... did any of it get in your way with the intake?
julienmark
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by julienmark »

Possibly it is the wiring of the Maf that caused your original problem of 240 , maf 240 ecu,
But grinding the pins of the Maf element may also be causing some greif ??
I simply drilled out my first maf housing a little for clearance and it caused richness and a loss of power, so grinding pins may be a bit dodgy, but who knows.?

Yes it looks good all the clearance on the exhaust side, but it,s not going to help me as money is an issue at the moment.
There were no other clearance problems except for the heater hose,s ,just like every one else.
Mark
turboedhardbody
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by turboedhardbody »

I used a 240 maf and 240 ECU and truck harness which you have to rewire the maf you switch two wires. You have to run a idle control valve and some other vavle to make it run normal. At first I didn't run a idle vavle it idles like crap so i hooked it back up and idled great.
schmauster920

de richness

Post by schmauster920 »

ive taken about 18% fuel out of the top end of the rpm band to keep it within 14, it was around 11s when WOT. The idle was in the 12s.. it pops (miss?) when i lean it out towards 14s, i think i need to check out my wires, its been doing it for a while but gets worse with the leaning.

It sounds healthier and has a little more power tuned to 14s all over.. is this what i want for N/A? Or slightly richer for heat reasons? I know with boost its a lot different