hardbody DE swap (56k beware)

For those truckers!
Otto's
NooB

Post by Otto's »

Just curious could you have just gotten an oil pan and pickup from the frontier DE motor and bolted it on?
andrew_r_mcintosh
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by andrew_r_mcintosh »

I believe soo....

Been reading this forum for a few hours now as I am planning a ka superchage swap in my 81' 720 4x4 and all the guys over on the msn 720 group....tloof included, recommend using the truck block if going with the DOHC as it saves a lot of work.

Regardless, you got it in and i'm impressed and inspired.

Props.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

To answer your question, i heard that the frontier DE pans were a completely different bolt pattern, and oil pump is further back.. I tried to get one to compare through my parts store neighbor, but no luck... The frontier motors are a direct drop in i hear, but i wanted the girdle!

Im working on figuring out some of the wiring and its a huge pain :evil:
andrew_r_mcintosh

schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

JGS manifold with a t2 flange on the bottom side as you can see. im going to have the origional good welding shop weld a t3 inlet and external wg flange from jgs on there. im thinking where im holding it is going to be the best spot, and wg on the bottom angled towards the motor to keep it away from the drain pipe

I like the clearance better then 240s thats for sure, im going to use silicone header paint and heatwrap the downpipe so it doesnt heat up the firewall and floor like it did with the header. Some sort of bent aluminum heat shield should be sufficient to block the turbo and downpipe heat from the brakes and reservoir.

Ill be adding a remote mount filter kit with an oil cooler, along with a temp sensor in the oil pan so i dont fry this thing too quickly (i hope)

Stupid imageshack wtf is going on with my pictures lol

Ill make the rest of the pics work sometime in the future, what a pain
Last edited by schmauster920 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
slownissan
Learners Permit

Post by slownissan »

looks good bro cant wait to see it all together
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

More wiring action updates from the frontlines!

ok on with the pictures (no longer hosted by imageshack haha):D

Ooo i love body wires!

yay wires!

The blue junk is some RTV i used to seal the shifter because i felt it was letting in air

Ive got some mystery wires running from the engine harness to the dash im guessing, i love these little suprises! maybe ill have to tear out my dashboard to track them down! I sure hope so! Ill see if i can figure it out by looking at my harness

Ill be using this turbo... just kidding but what was mazda thinking? Anyone seen one of these inbred turbos on a KA?

The stuff under the dash came out really easily and i got to take my old AC junk out from under the dash and clean the handfulls of leaves out as well
Last edited by schmauster920 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
slownissan
Learners Permit

Post by slownissan »

looks like fun lol
Nitrobanshee
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Nitrobanshee »

I cant stand the gray goop nissan puts on the wire harness.

That crap gets on everything.
1995 Nissan Pickup truck running Megasquirt V3.0 MSII 2.88 EDIS with a turbo.
Dyno #s 354WHP 381Foot pounds
KA24E-t Power
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

yeah a lost a little faith in nissan the day i discovered the grey goop!

Charcoal lighter fluid removes it very well i might add!
schmauster920

!

Post by schmauster920 »

little progress... it looks far too clean in my dirty ass truck

Check out the raisin bran!
Last edited by schmauster920 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Got a tuned ecu for 550cc injectors, so i can upgrade from the 370s i have sitting around (270s on there now i know)

Got the s13 distributor in, almost ready for the N/A startup and neighbor pissing off :)

Anyone know what kind of flange that is? its a T3 inlet, downpipe is def not the reg t3 or t3/t4 ... im guessing it came stock on some car

Ive got the 240 alternator on the truck bracket so i can use a single V belt without power steering!
Last edited by schmauster920 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

ok so slownissan has been helping me a crapload with the wiring and we got it to crank today, i think we have a bad coil but ill know more when we swap another one in tomorrow... still waiting on piping and manifold cutting, welding, and some flanges... lots of little stuff i dont know about yet haha

Also i realized due to the pan being switched around my dipstick no longer works, it just hits the pan since its in the wrong spot to go down into the sump.. Im thinking get a metal tube and have it welded to the pan

schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

It lives... kind of... i need exhaust for my wideband, it idles well but thats it, i need to do some tuning

Still a ways to go till i have boost
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

ok i didnt want to drive my fellow appartment goers crazy so slownissan threw down some beads for me on my new top mount muffler :) ill be cutting a much bigger hole so i dont care... This is so i can get a baseline tune with the safc2

cut a hole in the hood and forget about the boost :) jk
julienmark
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by julienmark »

That is down right silly,
The truck will now pull to the left due to the wind resistance, the muffler should always exit the center of the hood.
andrew_r_mcintosh

I hope thats a RHD hardbody too...
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Thank you, i forgot about the center of the hood exhaust rule, i was wondering why it kept pulling to the left at 150+ hahaha Ill put a cat on the end of it and be legal :P

Us 4 cylinder guys dont get the big blowers coming out the hood, i needed something to block my view so i can look cool too!

ill try to get a driving video around the block with sound lol

schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Slownissan and i got the timing right on after some distributor restabbing (it was one tooth off from the s13 dist, swap) and after that it fired up nicely and idled quietly, we took it around the block and got some funny looks! Just need the other stuff, ill be sad to see my smoke stack gone :(
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top- ... 2501773b4c

heres the video of it alive in the car port :P
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

I miss my top mount muffler :(

heheh its coming all along, still need exhaust and intake pipes, small oil fittings etc etc

slownissan has donated an intercooler for me to use for the time being
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

more restrictive then the top mount muffler :D

Junkyard exhaust FTW :D 2 3/4 all through, except for the crappy muffler for now, i might get one of those sweet 15 dollar 'turbo' mufflers from auto zone with 3 inch in and out

Im using alumized 2 1/2 mandrel bent exhaust piping (cleaned in and out) for intake pipes

Total for exhaust and intake charge pipes... 43.65 yay cheapness

sleeper supreme, i think ill take a lot of people by suprise :twisted:
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

All "turbo" mufflers are pretty restrictive. Resonator style mufflers are much less restrictive, dynomax carries straight thru packed mufflers.

Unfortunately they aren't $15, but a glass pack is and will work.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

i didnt know that they suck... ill probably pick up something decent later down the road, i dont want it to be too loud (till wastegate opens) less backpressure is good of course!

Thanks for the heads up about the 15 dollar 'turbo' muffler, i guess you really cant cheap out on much :P
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

schmauster920 wrote:i didnt know that they suck... ill probably pick up something decent later down the road, i dont want it to be too loud (till wastegate opens) less backpressure is good of course!

Thanks for the heads up about the 15 dollar 'turbo' muffler, i guess you really cant cheap out on much :P
I have one on my integra lol, and it actaully doesn't sound that bad (for a honda). They are not that bad for n/a applications, but restrictive on turbo applications. Since you can weld and it's only temporary, i say go for it.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

I had a magnaflow packed straight thru muffler on the truck before and it sounded like a civic with no exhaust... Thank you for your recommendation, once i get paid i will pick up a dynomax muffler and see what i think, i know im not going to get a quiet, free flowing muffler as it doesnt work like that :(
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Last edited by schmauster920 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

ok i mounted turbo and fired it up, looks like ill be doing the expected shady used turbo rebuild at home due to the oil spewing out around the turbine

Here it is clocked and oiled

heres a shot of my front end mod

I saw that on the streetfire redneck test video hahahaha

Project is on hold for a few weeks until i get paid
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

trying to get this thing going to see how bad it smokes... no ic for the time being, ill be running a small yellow 3.6 psi spring and 370s, the exhaust pipe came with that heat shield haha

we will see if the hardware store PVC couplers hold up at all hahahhahahaha.. Slownissan beaded the ends at least so we will see

Intake pipe will be longer and maf will be futher from the turbo, and i have a much larger K&N filter i will be using, so please dont flame me too badly lol
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

and 1 more so i can bump my junk for sale :D

S14 auto tranny anyone? :P