Differences in the dohc's.

For those truckers!
d21det
Dreams of owning a 240!

Differences in the dohc's.

Post by d21det »

What's up ya'll. I've been away for awhile, hate to say it. Glad to see the hardbody forum rollin' hard still. Anyways, I'm looking for another hb and plan on doing a det build. My question is, what is, ( or are there ), the differences in the dohc engine in the 240 compared to the frontiers? I know the pan sump, intake, etc. , but what about internally like compression ratio's and cam grinds. Also, I know the fronty's engine doesn't have a girdle. Do you think it would be that important for 400whp? I've just started doing my research about the dohc's and what it will involve swapping it in. So if anyone has any knowledge about this, or where I could get some about the frontiers specs, post it up. Thanks.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

They're significantly different. Here is what I have been able to find by comparing part numbers and specs on Alldata for a '98 240SX vs a '98 Frontier.

Frontiers had 9.2:1 compression, 240SXs had 9.5:1. The pistons are different part numbers, so it's likely the truck piston has a deeper dish on it.

Connecting rods and rod bearings are the same, but the crankshaft and main bearings are different. I am not sure what the difference is, however.

Camshafts are also different, both intake and exhaust. The 240SX has the more aggressive grind, as you've probably guessed. It seems the exhaust cam is more different than the intake cam.

I hope this helps.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
d21det
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by d21det »

Thanks for the info. I've seen slownissan's det swap and he states his is from a frontier. I would imagine that if we wanted to upgrade parts, the ka is still a ka. I would rather go with the frontier de swap since it's a hell of alot less of a pain to install. I dont think the girdle is a huge issue unless you plan on some serious hp. Hell, v-8 engines dont have them, they're either a four bolt or four bolt crossed drilled caps. Hmmm, I wonder if they could make four bolt mains for our four bangers? That'd be nice. Also, does the frontiers ka have piston oil squirters?
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm not sure if the truck motor has oil squirters or not, but it appears that they don't.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
FRONTIERonBOOST
Learners Permit

Re:

Post by FRONTIERonBOOST »

d21det wrote:Thanks for the info. I've seen slownissan's det swap and he states his is from a frontier. I would imagine that if we wanted to upgrade parts, the ka is still a ka. I would rather go with the frontier de swap since it's a hell of alot less of a pain to install. I dont think the girdle is a huge issue unless you plan on some serious hp. Hell, v-8 engines dont have them, they're either a four bolt or four bolt crossed drilled caps. Hmmm, I wonder if they could make four bolt mains for our four bangers? That'd be nice. Also, does the frontiers ka have piston oil squirters?
YES THE FRONTIER 2.4 :angry-teeth: HAS OIL SQUIRTERS ..... I JUST REPLACED ONE