My 94 Hardbody project (83 RX7)

For those truckers!
ogskeeta
NooB

Re: My 94 Hardbody project

Post by ogskeeta »

Nice aye!
be good to see pics when all cleaned up!
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Well it's been way too long since I updated my build thread! There has been a few things that have changed since then. Last time I updated this thread I was just getting everything installed. After that I took it for a drive to my girlfriends house. I went out to my truck to head home; her dad and a whole bunch of neighbors outside watching me start up my truck because they've heard that I've been spending so much time working on it, and I go to start it and it doesn't get a tach signal suddenly... How embarrassing lol :| So I had the truck pulled home thanks to a friend, and then I had to leave my truck behind and drive 150 miles to college and move in... School has been going great. I went home after I moved in, and tried to get the truck running before school started in late august. I couldn't get it running before going back so I foolishly ordered a 36-1 wheel and hall sensor from DIYautotune hoping that my expensive stock sensing system was to blame, and I installed that with no luck.. :angry-teeth: Almost 2 months later, I finally figured out my simple issue. Wrong resistor for the 12v pull up.. :doh: I guess I will rely on the bands of the resistor and not an ohm meter next time since I apparently don't know how to read one lol. I also took out the coil pack and went back to the stock coil and distributor for spark because I broke one of the legs off my extra bip373 in the ms and didn't feel like waiting for a new one. I put my distributor back in and figured out the timing since I switched to the 36-1 wheel. First time cranking the engine to actually start it, it slowly turned over followed by a huge BOOM out of my open downpipe, scared the **** out of me. So then I took the 1st spark plug out to get the engine to TDC again and reposition the rotor better and then she fired up right away. I then got the timing light out and got it all synced up with megasquirt and did some initial tuning and went for a drive!! It felt great getting the truck out on the road again but I ran into another issue saturday. When the engine was completely warmed up it would keep losing sync according to datalogs (lost sync reason 2). So I did some googling and found that many people had that issue and others would say that it is caused either by noise in the signal, or the sensor isn't close enough to the wheel. So I looked under the hood and sure enough I zip tied the wires going to the sensor to a spark plug wire... I moved the wires but that still didn't help. I looked at my sensor, and realized it was not perfectly squared up with the wheel, but well within the 5mm distance at 2.75mm. I straightened the sensor out with a simple zip tie and haven't had an issue since!

I didn't get to drive it a lot since I had to come back up to school yesterday, but I should be bringing it back up in a few weeks so I can put some miles on it and do some tuning. When I was at home, I was doing some pulls at about 80%tps and getting pretty close to full boost. It felt great even at 10:1 afr and timing pretty conservative I think, plus I was only revving it to about 3500rpm . I am running bkr6e's at .037in gap and my external wastegate has a 7.25psi spring in it. At first I had new stock heat range plugs in it at the stock gap of .044 i think and it ran good but would blow out spark in boost. And that's all still on 87 octane.. But like I said the ignition table is really conservative I think. The ignition table was generated from an excel program i found online for a base map and then adjusted a little bit from there. Here's a link to the website I got it from: http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic ... 91&p=49960

Here are my tunerstudio tables:

So that's basically what's been going on in my life recently. I'm super excited to get home again and tune that thing and get a little more of an exhaust on it! :mrgreen: I would like to upload datalogs so you more experienced tuners can check it out, but for some reason the site always says it's reached it's quota. If you guys know another way of posting files let me know! Here are a few pics of it as it sits, total sleeper status with all the rust and crap in back waiting to get recycled.

If anyone has any tuning advice for adjusting the afr or ignition tables please let me know!! 8) Let me know what you guys think of it!
Last edited by tchida14 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Nice truck! Most of your welds turned out pretty good, they'll get better with time obviously. It will sure as hell work. I have a similar setup with a dual cam, im running a tuned ecu for now but im about to install my MS2 V3
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

schmauster920 wrote:Nice truck! Most of your welds turned out pretty good, they'll get better with time obviously. It will sure as hell work. I have a similar setup with a dual cam, im running a tuned ecu for now but im about to install my MS2 V3
Thanks! My welds have slowly been getting better, It's setting the machine that i sometimes struggle with. I really love megasquirt, and you definitely will too. Are you going to be tuning it yourself? Do you have a build thread? I'd like to check out your setup!
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

PM'd ...
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Looking good man.

I've been playing with ignition myself...finally.

Might ref your maps a little. Different software and waaay different advance cure for LPG but a good ref.

Keep up the good work.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Adrenalin wrote:Looking good man.

I've been playing with ignition myself...finally.

Might ref your maps a little. Different software and waaay different advance cure for LPG but a good ref.

Keep up the good work.
My spark map could be advanced a few degrees safely in my opinion. But I will wait to mess with that until I get the fuel table pretty close, and some fresh 91 octane in it instead of the 87. I'm guessing your tables are going to be quite a bit different from mine using LPG.

Thanks, I'm excited to get back home in a little over a week to work on it and drive it back to school!

I'll update this probably around the 18th of October, after I get home. I will be replacing 20 year old outer tie rod ends that are giving me tons of slop in the steering wheel
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Hey, how is this going?

Are you still running ~7psi?
If so, are you using a 2 bar map absolute sensor?
Just wondering how far your ignition is moving against plotted load points.
I'm running (nominal) 2.5 bar absolute sensor but think at 10 psi I may need to rescale to utilize more of the map.
Last edited by Adrenalin on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farmer620
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Farmer620 »

Nice build
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

It is going good Adrenalin. It's been sitting, and will be for the winter most likely, which sucks but thats just how it goes here in MN. A luk pro gold is going in this week, that's pretty much it so far. When I parked it, it was running great, except for the now slipping stock clutch. Before i did a mad clutch burnout (attempting a launch) the truck hauled ass! I'm very pleased with it so far! Yes it is still running precisely 7.25psi lol, and the megasquirt has a 2.5 bar map sensor. Are you referring to my spark map? I don't get what your trying to say... You can change any of the units on the tables in megasquirt.

Thanks farmer! I saw your thread as well, very cool truck you have there.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Sorry probably didn't explain very well.
Basically wanted to know if the ms uses the full range of your map sensor or if you scale or set the range it needs to use.
My setup requires you to set min and max load point values.
So just wondering how ms compares.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Adrenalin wrote:Sorry probably didn't explain very well.
Basically wanted to know if the ms uses the full range of your map sensor or if you scale or set the range it needs to use.
My setup requires you to set min and max load point values.
So just wondering how ms compares.
Oh I see where your coming from. MY Megasquirt uses the 0-250kpa range (range for the 2.5bar map) all the time. MS users can upgrade map sensors to say 3 or 4 bar where the range would than be 0-300 or 0-400kpa respectively. Whether or not you actually use that entire range is up to the user, and their setup! I'm only running 7.25 psi, so the highest map I see is about 145-148kpa. In my fuel and spark tables I can set the increments on the x and y axis to what ever I want. I have my table maxing out at 155kpa and overboost protection cuts spark at 150kpa.

So yes I do set the range it uses, but that does not mean it will only read up to those limits (within the sensor's capabilities of course). So If my wastegate fails and overboosted, megasquirt would still read the pressure up to about 21psi (or 250kpa) even though my tables only go to 155kpa. That of course would be catastrophic but hopefully that answers your question Adrenalin.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Yeah that's what i was curious about. Thanks good to know.
I have seen quite a few ms maps with the kpa down the side, just didnt know if it was full scale or adjusted to get the most out of your map.

Because my sc can be switched off i'm thinking of running dual maps, otherwise i'll only use half the map when running na.

Thanks.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Adrenalin wrote:Yeah that's what i was curious about. Thanks good to know.
I have seen quite a few ms maps with the kpa down the side, just didnt know if it was full scale or adjusted to get the most out of your map.

Because my sc can be switched off i'm thinking of running dual maps, otherwise i'll only use half the map when running na.

Thanks.
Adrenalin wrote:Yeah that's what i was curious about. Thanks good to know.

Thanks.
Anytime!

So i've really been doing some thinking lately on what I want to do with my truck.

I want to build a rust free car for autocross/drag using the drivetrain from my truck because my truck is rusty and honestly I question it's integrity and ability to become a racecar lol.. Basically a fun summer toy I can drive to the drag strip with and compete in various events. I know that I want to keep my sohc ka and the trans from the truck. I was thinking of using a ford 8.8 or 9" rear end that has some sort of lsd, I forget what Ford calls it. Plus there is tons of aftermarket for these rear ends. And designing my own 3 link rear suspension system with coilovers. After all, I am going to school for engineering, I want to put my knowledge and CAD skills to the test after I take some more involved statics and other physics classes this coming spring, which I am actually really excited for. :D

I want to do all that, but what I don't know is, what chassis I want to use. Here are my options.

1.) Keep the hardbody. This option would involve basically stripping the whole thing down to the frame and bring it to my summer job next summer to sandblast and powdercoat it for free on my own time. But who knows if there is even enough solid steel underneath all that rust. This would also be a TON of work taking it apart and putting it back together though, not to mention a lot of broken bolts... It would also allow me to completely customize everything very easily; battery mount, rear end, possibly a fuel cell, racing seats, roll cage, ect... It would be a lot easier to integrate the 3 link rear end on a vehicle with actual frame rails instead of a unibody.

2.) Next option would be to get a different car to put the truck drivetrain in. I would love to put the KA in a small fwd car because of the power to weight ratio! Imagine a RWD SOHC KA-T civic hatch or saturn.. The idea of building a sleeper/unique/wtf is that car really appeals to me, but the amount of work that would be needed to reinforce the back end of a fwd car to make it safe enough to race would be huge. $$$$

3.) A lot like option 2, but this option involves putting the drivetrain in a awd or rwd chassis. This option would be nice because there are a lot of different options of vehicles. The chassis would also be built to handle the forces in the rear end of the car so it would basically be an engine swap, with a custom rear end suspension. The problem I have with this option is I have to go out and find a clean chassis.. $$$$

In one hand, I want to keep my truck and work with what I have and improve it(a lot of work and money). In the other, I want to frankenstein an autox beast of a small car that will turn heads like no other..(even more work and even more $$$)

Based on the fact that I haven't really gotten into subjects that apply to this idea in college yet makes me want to just keep the truck and improve it and experiment with it, with ideas/designs that have been proven to work (suspension wise).

Let me know what you guys think of this crazy idea. Also what do you think would be the smartest option? I look forward to hearing different inputs on this so I can eventually make a decision. :eusa-think:
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I'd maybe try some ospho in a few areas to get an idea of how bad the rust is.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

nissanfanatic wrote:I'd maybe try some ospho in a few areas to get an idea of how bad the rust is.
When I go home over thanks giving I will check it out in a few places to see just how much actual steel is under all that rust. I think the chassis on the whole thing is pretty much screwed... I will also take some pictures of it as well to post up and show you guys how bad it is.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

If you stay with the truck, here is a link to nissan transmission info.
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=26340

And diff and axle info.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/all-you-need ... 33955.html

I've been looking through it myself trying to understand how strong the std gearbox and diff in my rig is.

Turns out I have the FS5W71C with CA41 diff axle combo (C200 ~8" diff with 4.11 gearing).

Look through the info for yourself but it looks like the H233 is a 9" diff. Possibly some of which may have lsd?
Looks like lockers are available too :P

If its just for fun and a little track who cares about cosmetic rust. As long as its structurally sound LOL, adds to the sleeper look.

If it were me I'd probably stick with the truck but your engine and trans could be swapped into a 240...
Or if you chassis or cab is toast try and get another to swap in.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

The pathfinder has coilovers and possibly IRS, i'd look at one, you can get the 9 1/4 rear end out of it that comes with posi
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Adrenalin wrote:If you stay with the truck, here is a link to nissan transmission info.
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=26340

And diff and axle info.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/all-you-need ... 33955.html

I've been looking through it myself trying to understand how strong the std gearbox and diff in my rig is.

Turns out I have the FS5W71C with CA41 diff axle combo (C200 ~8" diff with 4.11 gearing).

Look through the info for yourself but it looks like the H233 is a 9" diff. Possibly some of which may have lsd?
Looks like lockers are available too :P

If its just for fun and a little track who cares about cosmetic rust. As long as its structurally sound LOL, adds to the sleeper look.

If it were me I'd probably stick with the truck but your engine and trans could be swapped into a 240...
Or if you chassis or cab is toast try and get another to swap in.
Thanks for the links! Very good stuff there..

I don't really care about the cosmetic rust like you said, it adds to the look 8) , but I am worried about the frame and suspension parts. Ideally i'd like to put the engine and tranny into another car that doesn't have rust throughout the whole thing. I want to build a fun race car that I can drag and autox. The truck would work for drag racing how it sits now if I had an lsd, but I think I want to do more autox than drag. Also just fixing the rust would be a real pain in the ass, and getting the handling of a tight little car like my saturn..
schmauster920 wrote:The pathfinder has coilovers and possibly IRS, i'd look at one, you can get the 9 1/4 rear end out of it that comes with posi
I will check some out when I go to the junkyard in the near future, thank you!
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Haven't been on here in a long time but here is some short videos of some shenanigans in some subzero temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Fpa57hreo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bt6fPk5J1I

http://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk ... EO0161.mp4

I think that first video the launch control is set at 3500rpm and -4* with 100rpm deadzone. Builds maybe a pound or two of pressure. I just put in a dynomax ultraflo muffler and it sounds great! It is sooooo much quieter inside and I feel like I can actually carry on a conversation now lol :P

The last video is a video I took quickly with my phone. I was getting on a main road and felt like recording it to see what it would sound like. You can hear the loud explosion when I hit the rev limiter in 1st gear as my passenger rear tire is just getting dominated. :dance: You can also see my shifter I made out of a blown wrx engine's rod at the very end of the video.

I am thinking about welding the diff so I can actually grip when I do that, but I'm on the fence about it. I drive this thing all year round and we usually have snow and ice all over in the winter here so I am concerned that it will be sketchy to drive in the winter with a welded diff. Any suggestions?
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

WOW. It's been a while since I've posted anything here. I am not sure if anyone actually looks at this thread at all yet, but looking back at my ideas and what I have done so far has both amazed me and made me shake my head.. A lot has changed since my last post. I'm done with my first year of college, and the truck is now gone! BUT THE KA IS NOT! This will not be the end of the KA24E-T!!

This previous winter/spring I have just been enjoying my truck in it's sleeper form every weekend I came home from college to visit home, but I had the brilliant idea of doing a coilover setup that involved cutting apart the front end. I did like the idea, it's just that my truck didn't. Not to mention the lack of proper cutting tools and skill for the job, but as I was in the process of the conversion, I realized the truck was a lot rustier than I thought. The passenger side frame rail had a crack in it and after more inspection with a few light taps of a hammer, it was more than just a crack. There was a few sections of the frame that were completely rusted out... :( SOOO after finding all of this out, I decided to scrap it.. I am still in the process of selling all the great interior parts and other bits, but it really sucks looking back -- if I wouldn't have cut stuff apart in the first place, I would still be enjoying the sleeper Nissin for what it was!! Well, mistakes were made, lessons were learned, right? :violin:

Now I have the complete engine and transmission sitting in my garage, just waiting for a new car to tear it up in. My plan is to find something that is RUST FREE and 3,000 lbs or less with me and the KA in it. I've been looking for 240's, RX7's, BMW E30's and similar 90's, 80's, and even some 70's cars. We will see what happens by the end of the summer, but first I have two cars that I need to sell. This car will be a summer only car, I have learned that winters here in Minnesota do wonders to cars over the years... Makes me really question living here when I finish college, but it is nice to have the car season (spring, summer, fall) and then time during the winter to work on the project car.

ANYWAYS... This is my update for now. I will be on the hunt for a KA swap candidate, in the meantime I am just enjoying this relaxing summer. 8) Right now I have my eye on a completely original and working 1976 Chevy Chevette for $1000. Weighing in at only around 2,000 lbs, there could be a lot of potential with such a small sleeper car :icon-lol: We'll see what happens. Definitely more updates to come in the future!
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Cool, keep us updated. Too bad about the hardbody but lessons learned are always good and the next project will benefit from that. I've been reading, just not posting!
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Well, after months of looking for a car, I finally found one that I like.

66k original mile! Never driven in the winter, always garage kept. NO RUST! 12a rotary that is blown.

These 1st gen RX-7's came factory with a solid rear axle, and a 4 link and watts linkage. This one has a 3.909 gear ratio rear end

A few days after I got it I started taking the engine out.

And this is pretty much how it sits in the garage now, except the interior is a little torn apart now because I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the gauges. I also tore out the fuel system and I'll be replacing that with new parts so I know it's all good to go. Right now I'm just waiting on a timing cover for the ka to finish up my timing chain install, so I can put it back together and get the engine and trans mounts made.

These pictures are sorta cut off on the right side, if you right click and open the picture in a new tab you can see the whole thing... that's annoying.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Cool, this should be good.
Not that I don't like a good rotary, but always thought an I4 in an RX7 would be cool.
Like a cooler version of an mx5 lol.

I've seen a few other people talking about this swap or doing it.
Mostly people trashing mixed make swaps.

Good luck, should be fun.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I have made a lot of progress with the RX-7 since I last posted. The KA is completely mounted in the car and the hood still closes. I put in a lot of hours over Christmas break. I decided to go with a brake booster delete so there would be enough room for a down pipe, re-bent the lines to connect to the master cylinder which is now 4 inches farther back. I bled them and have it all hooked up and working properly. I also hooked up the clutch and bled that as well. The wiring harness is out of the car, a majority of the interior is out.

There is a lot of work to do yet but unfortunately this project is being put on the back burner for a while. I have been very busy with school since Christmas break and won't have any time to work on it for a while. I will be going to Denmark in less than two weeks to study abroad and immerse myself in Danish culture for 8 weeks, truly a once in a lifetime experience!

Life has been very busy, but I hope to finish the car by the end of 2016! I will post more when I make more progress with some good photos to show you guys. I will upload a picture of the engine bay so you guys can see what it looks like.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk32 ... B11A95.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk32 ... 312E6E.jpg
Last edited by tchida14 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Re: My 94 Hardbody project **RELOADED**

Post by BigLoukaT »

Looking good, enjoy denmark!
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

It's been a while since I have posted on this thread, but I am back in the states, have been for a little over a month now and have been working on the car pretty much non-stop since then! I have a lot of pictures to share, and i will upload them at a later date. All i will say now is that everything is pretty much done, I just have to finish up a few things with the cooling system which I will address today, and then start wiring! Within a week this car will be running! :crossfingers: I will upload a video of it, or a link to youtube probably.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

WELL, everything is working properly as far as engine management goes, but I can't crank over the engine enough to get it to start. My starter is on its way out and I will have one in tomorrow then hopefully it will fire right up. I know it is not the battery, I replaced mine with a known good battery. I just wired all this up within the last few days so all the connections are solid, battery voltage reaches the starter and it does crank over, but very slowly. It spins the engine about 270 rpm when the spark plugs were out, but with them in it could barely turn it over. I did get it to chug to life with a few loud pops out the exhaust but nothing over 300-400 rpm. When the plugs were out I primed the oil system by cranking the engine, suprisingly it took a while to see a reading on my gauge. I was getting worried that i missed some o-rings when doing the timing kit, but all is well. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the new starter in and fire it up and take it for a spin!
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Re: My 94 Hardbody project (83 RX7)

Post by tchida14 »

supakat
SuperMod

Re: My 94 Hardbody project (83 RX7)

Post by supakat »

Congrats...
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T