My 94 Hardbody project (83 RX7)

For those truckers!
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

My 94 Hardbody project (83 RX7)

Post by tchida14 »

Hey guys! This thread is going to be about the transformation of my Hardbody, but mainly the turbo parts :cool: So I bought my hardbody back in august and since then i've put a lot of work into it.

The plan:
My plan for my truck is to do my first turbo build. Not some crazy build but just a stock ka24e with a t3 turbo that will reliably make around 220-250hp. The whole point of this is to learn and gain experience because I love engines and the performance aspect of cars.

What I've done:
So earlier in the summer I already bought megasquirt 2 v3 and soldered it all together (also a first), the 8ft harness, iat and clt sensors, and an innovative lc-1 wideband. All of this I installed in my hardbody about a month ago. I've done some tuning that i'm also learning how to do as i go. With the tuning and all that installed I can start upgrading!

The parts to install:
-passat intercooler
-godspeed top mount manifold + lifetime warranty
-10 an line and fittings, -4 an line and fittings
-glow shift oil sandwich adapter
-Garrett t3 .60/.48 turbo from an 80's merkur
-mechanical oil pressure/boost gauges
-tial 38mm wastegate

Things I still need:

-550cc 91 rx7 injectors
-walbro 255lph pump
-few pieces of intercooler piping, couplers, and connectors

I have a few questions though... Will the 550cc rx7 injectors fit the top feed fuel rail that is on my truck?
And where can I get parts/info on the turbo I have since there is no name plate on it?
Last edited by tchida14 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Re: My 94 Hardbody project

Post by tchida14 »

Little update: I recently bought a new used turbo from Pam's Auto, it's a holset hy35w from an 03 dodge ram. There is almost no shaft play so I trust this one much more than me rebuilding a **** old turbo.. I now also have a walbro 255 fuel pump, and a set of supposedly flow tested dsm 450cc blue top injectors for 50 bucks.

So I went to put in the injectors, only to realize that the injectors won't seat right in the intake manifold. Feeling creative, I came with the idea to make a steel intake manifold. I know it seems kind of dumb using steel but it's cheap and I have access to a mig welder and can actually mig well. I am using 2 in 14 ga. tubing and plan on doing runners of about 8 or 9 inches. Im getting the flange part plasma cnc'd, and plan on using an old 10lb fire extinguisher as the plenum. For the throttle body I plan on getting one from a V6 or V8, something with a 4 wire iac to use with ms2. For the injector bungs I plan on just turning them on the lathe until the dsm injectors fit in there nice and tight. I want to do this because I like doing my own work and with ms2 i can use a bigger throttle body like I want, also It should flow better. I also plan on powder coating it so that it doesn't rust.

Right now I have 4 feet of the tubing, and just waiting for the flange to be done. I just don't know where I can get a used or just an empty fire extinguisher from? Don't really feel like spending $50 on a new one just to waste it :eusa-think:

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated :mrgreen:
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I am going to like this build. I like to mess around and came up with my own solutions as well. Good luck and post pics.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

supakat wrote:I am going to like this build. I like to mess around and came up with my own solutions as well. Good luck and post pics.
Thanks for the support! Project is kinda on hold for now due to lack of time to go to my buddies and weld up a manifold! So far I have all that I need for the manifold except injector bungs and a fire extinguisher. Where should I get injector bungs to weld in? Or should I just make them? I will upload pictures of the flange I had cnc'd and of some other parts I have not taken pictures of yet, this weekend! Since I'm having trouble finding a fire extinguisher, I was thinking of just doing a 1/8" or 3/16" thick rectangular shaped manifold...

Here are pictures of the parts I will be putting in:

Glow Shift oil sandwich adapter

Mechanical oil and boost gauges

Holset hy35. Timmy :P

Passat intercooler

Tial f38 wastegate

-4 feed and -10 return perform-o-flex hose from anplumbing.com

Aluminum AN swivel hose ends also from anplumbing.com

New fuel filter

1G 450cc DSM injectors

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Vacuum block from ebay

1/4" CNC plasma cut extruded intake manifold gasket. Not sure if there is enough area here to weld the pipe on, so I might need to go back and have them cut me another with maybe another 1/4" all the way around.

Godspeed Project top mount t3 turbo manifold- $160 shipped+lifetime warranty :cool:

66mm Throttle body off of a Ford Explorer

TB bracket I made to be welded onto the plenum

For some reason the pictures aren't all there and some is cut off... Please comment and give me some feedback!!
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Why a fire extinguisher? Wouldn't it just be easier to buy some large steel tube and plasma/lazer cut an end plate for it?

Sorry for my ignorance but is the dodge turbo from a diesel engine or petrol? If its a diesel the turbo may not be a great match for a 4 cylinder petrol. See if you can find a compressor map for it and plot your pressure ratio and air flow requirements on the map. If all of that is new to you, go to the garrett website and read their tech papers on turbos and turbo sizing. Ideally when buying a 2nd hand turbo you want to buy something from engine with the same fuel type and similar displacement. For example a Nissan garret turbo from a Nissan rb25det would be a pretty good match for the ka24.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Adrenalin wrote:Why a fire extinguisher? Wouldn't it just be easier to buy some large steel tube and plasma/lazer cut an end plate for it?

Sorry for my ignorance but is the dodge turbo from a diesel engine or petrol? If its a diesel the turbo may not be a great match for a 4 cylinder petrol. See if you can find a compressor map for it and plot your pressure ratio and air flow requirements on the map. If all of that is new to you, go to the garrett website and read their tech papers on turbos and turbo sizing. Ideally when buying a 2nd hand turbo you want to buy something from engine with the same fuel type and similar displacement. For example a Nissan garret turbo from a Nissan rb25det would be a pretty good match for the ka24.
Yeah i'm just going to get some sheet metal and make a rectangular shaped plenum. It's from a 5.9 Cummins. You question my choice of turbo, but if you look online there are many other builds that involve a 4 cylinder gas engine and a big diesel turbo. I'm guessing i'll get 7psi (what my wastegate is set at) by about 3000 rpm or a little later.. That's perfect for me cause anytime i'm going over that i'm messing around having fun. I'm not building a fuel efficient tow truck or anything like that here, i'm building this to have fun. It's been done before many times and on smaller displacement engines than the ka.
Last edited by tchida14 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Hey buddy relax, not sure what the aggression is about?

If you re-read my post you will find I didn't 'say anything to the effect that your turbo choice was wrong or it won't work.
Nor did I try to tell you how to do your project.

I just asked a question and offered you some advice.
I'm not interested in arguing details of your project or having to prove myself in regard to any information I have posted.
It's your project and your choice to do what you want.
As you said your project is all about learning through experience....

If your interested, here is some info of Diesel vs Petrol turbos.
Again, this doesn't mean the combo of a diesel turbo on a petrol engine won't yield boost.
It's just some facts about diesels vs petrols and how the turbos are designed differently for each type of engine.

Basic difference explained simply.
http://www.intuneautos.com/turbo-charge ... esel-cars/

Further detail.
http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/dieselturbo.html

Discussion on this topic in 'The Turbo Forums.com'
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/3 ... gas-engine

Garrett Info as mention in previous post.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... h_advanced

Good luck.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Update:
Got the plenum bent up at school yesterday(mostly) and taking it home to finish.

A few welds that I just did earlier today cause we had a snow day! :dance:

Completed the welding of the plenum for the most part.

The plenum, revised flange, and pipe im using for runners.

The welder I just picked up a few weeks ago! It is a Lincoln Power Mig 140c.

After the USA vs. Canada game i'm going to go back out to the garage to cut out four trapezoids that will go from one end of the plenum (one for each side) down to the opening of the throttle body bracket with that end bent to match the hole. Then I will cut out a piece for the other end of the plenum. Hopefully that all works out well without making holes in the manifold :mrgreen:. Then I just need a piece of 1in. steel rod to make 4 injector bungs on my buddies lathe.

Another update soon to come.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Little update: My previous plan on making the injector bungs on the lathe turned out to be a lot more work than I thought. I attempted to make one and it took a while and then I went slightly too big.. I'm not going to risk them leaking due to tolerances, so I bought steel bosch style injector bungs for ev14 injectors and I also got 550cc universal ev14 injectors from deatschwerks. I decided to do that instead because I don't know how long those dsm's will last since they were used with unknown miles on them. Plus this will be much more simple because I just want to get this thing running again!

Now I'm just waiting for those bungs to come in the mail from Ross Machining and tomorrow, or maybe tonight, I will get a lot more work done on the manifold. I also decided to change the design for the neck down to the throttle body. I went to O'reilly's and got a 2 3/4 inch exhaust adapter and I'm going to use about an inch of that and weld it to the throttle body plate I made. Then I will shape a piece of sheet metal to the open side of the manifold and hole saw a 2 5/8 inch hole in that. After that all that is left is the runners, injector bungs, and a nipple for the brake booster line.

Any suggestions on what to use for the brake booster nipple?

I foresee some issues trying to weld the inside part of the runners that face each other.... We'll see how that all works out. Hopefully I will have this manifold done this weekend and on the truck running!!!

I will be uploading pictures as I go on with the construction of the manifold for anyone whose interested.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Just finished the throttle body flange. Welds aren't the prettiest, but it's sealed! :D

Tomorrow at school I will hopefully get a hole cut in another end plate for this piece to be welded to the plenum, and tomorrow night I'll have the plenum done! :eusa-pray:

Please comment and give me some feed back guys! Need some inspiration to get this project finished up
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Got some more done on the manifold

Injector bungs from Ross Machining

The furthest I got today was getting the holes cut and I Just need to do some welding on those runners, brake booster nipple, a dedicated bov vacuum source nipple, injector bungs, and some way to mount the fuel rail.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I got a lot done yesterday!! :D

The top welds are pretty ugly because I had It in the truck while I tack welded it to make sure the fitment would work.

Almost finished!!! Besides some clean up and grinding of course..

I'm pretty much done, I just need to make some time to mark out the injector holes and drill them out for the bungs. Hopefully will have those in by the end of the weekend!
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Keep up the good work.

Looks like quite a large plenum.

A few constructive Questions and comments ...

What was your goal behind fabricating the intake?
How does it compare in volume to the original?
What are your plans for the water inlet connection? Swaged tube connection...

Have you thought about pressure testing the plenum to make sure you have no leaks?
Even if it was only tested at a low pressure it may help as a check before painting and install etc.
It would suck to powdercoat it then install and find you have a boost/vac leak.
Take care when pressure testing a welded assembly. It's always safest to do a hydrostatic pressure test (fill with water, then pressurise with air) rather than just using compressed air. Even just 5-10psi can be a lot of destructive energy if the plenum gave way.

Might pay to check how flat your flanges are after welding them.
I have had 12mm (nom 1/2") MS plate flanges warp from welding. That and the fact that steel plate isn't very flat even from new.
You may be able to carefully hand file it flat or may even get away with using a thicker gasket material.

Are you going to fab a custom dump pipe and exhaust too?
Any plans for that?
I'm in the process of making a set of custom headers and full exhaust for my hardbody.
Running a 3" system from collector to tail with 12"x3" res and 3" hooker aerochamber muffler.

I guess you would be looking at 2.5" to 3" for turbo application?
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Thanks Adrenalin.. I didn't mean to come off as a total jerk last time you posted, I realized you were just trying to help out!

My goal for the construction was to make a more compact intake manifold that would be able to accept much more universal injectors and one that actually has a plenum to it! Also to make the emissions delete straightforward.

The truck intakes don't have much of a plenum at all.... unless you count that very small area after the throttle body where it gets wider and then just goes to the 4 separate runners.

I'm actually still trying to figure the coolant part out.. I'm not sure what I can do to get a little 1.5 inch pipe connected to the inlet so the upper radiator hose can connect to that. If you have any ideas that would be nice to hear.. I don't know what you mean by swaged tube connection.

I think the plenum part is leak free. I just put my mouth to the throttle body flange before cutting any other holes and made some what of a vacuum and I heard hissing and by doing that i fixed like 4 or 5 small pin holes. With the runners now connected I want to figure out a way to test it so It isn't leaking because that would really suck to get it powder coated then have a small leak after getting into boost blowing through the paint. How would I fill it with water and pressurize it?

It did actually warp slightly in the skinny part between cylinders 2 and 3 but when I bolted the flange and runner assembly to the head to tack weld the plenum on it seems very close to flat now again. It looks pretty much flat so I will just bolt it down with the gasket and it should be fine.

I plan on doing the down pipe and exhaust myself as well. The v band on my turbo i think is just under 4in so when I do get the turbo stuff on I will need to get a v band and a reducer to the actual exhaust sizing I will be using (2.5in). At first I will just worry about the down pipe and make sure everything is running right, then I might do some more exhaust :P

What are you using for a welder?
Is your hardbody stock? plans for turbo build? :D
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

A swaged tube refers to a rolled raised section approx 1/2" from one end of the tube.
The swage (raised section) stops rubber hose from popping off the tube when under pressure.
Its usually used in conjunction with a hose clamp.

To pressure test the home-made intake manifold(removed from the engine) you need to seal off all openings in the manifold. This is not an quick or easy thing to do.
Block off the flanges by making blanking plates to bolt over them. Use the same thickness of plate as you used for your tb flange. Use a liquid gasket sealer or proper gaskets.
In the centre of the tb blanking plate, drill a hole to fit a quick release air connection to (for hooking up to air compressor line).

Bolt up the intake runner blanking flange, stand the plenum on end and fill with water.

Bolt the tb blanking flange in place.

Connect an air compressor and pressure gauge to the tb connection. Pressurise to nom 5psi.
Start with very low pressure as the thin material your plenum is made out of may deform.
You will need to monitor how the pressure affects it.

Ideally its even better if you can connect the compressor line to a ball-valve, then to pressure gauge, then to tb connection.
This way once the pressure gauge reads your ideal pressure you can close the ball valve, in theory locking the pressure in the plenum. Then watch the gauge to see if the pressure drops. You will also see water squirting or dripping out of any leaks.

Pressurising the plenum full of water is much safer than just using air.
Even so try and keep a safe distance from it when first pressurising. Wear safety glasses etc to be on the safe side.

Re my exhaust.
I'll probably mig the header tubes to the exhaust flanges and wire-fill oxy weld the tube to tube connections.
I've supercharged my ute but may twin charge or swap to straight turbo in the future.
If your interested you can see my build info thus far by following the link in my signature.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Oh I see what you mean by swaged connection, i've just never heard of it called that. How do you suppose I get that to match up to the weird shape of the head connection? Hammer it into shape?

I'm going to have to do that since it's pretty critical that it seals and the welds don't bust open. I think I will use some 16 gauge I have and weld that all the way across the 4 runners on that other flange I have laying around and then drill the bolt holes out for mounting with some liquid gasket that I believe I have in the garage to seal off the runners. As for the throttle body flange I will see what I can do to get a connection for compressed air. I think i'm going to test it to 10psi just to see if the plenum will bulge at all and to make sure i'll be safe running my half bar wastegate spring.

Thank you for helpful tips! I will get in the garage and get it tested today and report back with the results.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

What is the width and height of the water outlet compared to the diameter of the tube connection you plan to use?
If the diameter is similar to the width of the outlet shape, maybe just weld a flat plate over the shape and hole saw the diameter required into cover plate.
A bit rough i know but fabricating a form to that shape will be tough.

Otherwise maybe cut a strip of thin sheet metal about 1.5" wide and 1' long. Bend the strip to form the profile of the outlet. Tack weld in place, then try and taper the profile to your tube diameter.

Or put four long slots in one end of the tube. Bend and form each quarter to meet the sides of the profile. Tack weld, then cut sheet metal shapes to fill in the gaps. The finished result will really depend on your metal working skills and time and effort.

Goodluck.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I thought about forming a sheet to it but that would be extremely hard and time consuming. I will try seeing how a 1.5in piece of tube matches up with the shape. If there isn't too much that it's sort of blocking off I will probably just go that route since it would be much easier.

Yesterday I got the runner block off made, so that's done. I just need to figure out the throttle body block that will have a air connection on it to pressurize it.

Thank you for the ideas!! I unfortunately don't think I will have time to work on it this week so next weekend I will post some pics of the test and the water connection.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Yesterday I got the manifold all sealed up!

And today was interesting!! I filled the intake with water
At first, I barely had any pressure in it and it was seeping out of all the little pin holes, which are very numerous :? which also means I have a lot of grinding and filing to reweld the spots shut :evil: For **** and gigs I turned the psi up a little bit at a time looking for deformation, and around a surprising 30psi i stopped since theres no way I will get up to that amount of boost with this manifold. And after i stopped i realized i bubbled out one area.

pretty epic bubbling, but i will be just fine at 7 psi with my huge hy35...
grrrrr... not looking forward to fixing all these tiny little holes.
I feel very ghetto doing this whole thing.. I usually try to do everything nicely and professionally, but this is probably the sketchiest thing i've made!! 8)

Atleast it will work
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Bet your glad you hydro tested it now.
Good luck with the repair work.
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

not bad keep it up!
. 97 D21 . BELLTECH DROPPED . TORSION BARS .ENKEI'S . AZENIS . TURBO
NYR SCCA MEMBER
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I actually recently decided to just scrap this intake manifold... I don't have the tools or time to fab up the injector bungs and upper radiator hose connection. So basically I just wasted 2 months on this thing that i could have spent tuning!!! After a lot of searching, I found a 240 S13 intake manifold on Zilvia.net and I should be able to pick it up at the post office tomorrow! So I should definitely have it running on dsm 450 injectors by this weekend!
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Good idea, at least you can get it going.
Then come back to your manifold when you have the time, tools and energy etc.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I haven't updated this thread in a while, so I feel like showing you guys what i've been up to lately. I now got a full time job after graduating high school so I don't have much time during the week to mess with the truck but I do what I can, when I can. And in the fall I will be going to college for engineering! As I stated in my last post, I decided to scrap the intake manifold that I was building. I got a 240 intake from a guy on Zilvia.net for $50 and plugged all the emissions bs. I put in a new fuel filter, feed and return lines, and new 550cc deatschwerks injectors that drop right into the 240 intake. Right now I just have the pcv hose vented to the atmosphere and same with the valve cover. I got the truck running great n/a with the 550cc injectors, and new intake mani on fuel only with megasquirt. I took out the belt driven fan, power steering, and a/c along with all the other emissions **** that clutters the engine bay. I drove around for an hour or two one night with out a radiator fan and my coolant never got over 180, as long as I stayed moving. I then decided I would install the big 2010 Town & Country radiator fan that I got from a buddy for free! I got the fan all wired up with a 40a relay and fuse with IAC1A as the trigger for the relay. During the fan install, I also got my boost, afr, and oil pressure gauges mounted in a custom particle board mount that takes place of the top two vents.

I went to start the truck and I was not getting a tach signal for some reason. I realized that I did some welding on the frame for the radiator fan mount with the battery still connected, and I think I may have destroyed my ckps in the distributor. Prior to the welding, I was getting a perfectly good tach signal in ms off of the negative of the coil. I ordered the sensor on Amazon for $110 :angry-cussingblack: and it should be here wednesday for me to put in to see if that solved the problem. Everything in megasquirt is fine because in the process of trying to trouble shoot I decided to go ahead and install all of the hardware needed for wasted spark with a dsm coil pack I got from a junkyard. I went into the megasquirt and there was nothing melted or anything like that, so I wired in a second bip373 mounted to the top of the case with it's output on IAC2B, and all other jumpers/mods according to the megamanual.

I then re-pinned the coil pack plug. The two bip373 outputs going to the outer pins and a switched 12v from the fuel pump relay in the middle.

I plugged in the plugs to the corresponding terminals on the coil pack and it should be all ready to go besides a 15 amp fuse that needs to be added to the switched 12v source. The coil pack isn't mounted up yet, but will be soon.

Below is a picture of the distributor harness where I am suppose to be getting a tach signal. I also installed the 12-1 54mm nissan trigger wheel from diyautotune. The color of the 4 wires on the female plug of the distributor harness correspond to the '89-'90 wires in the "How to MegaSquirt your 240sx" page on diyautotune's website.

Distributor Wire Colors

'89-'90 '91 and later Purpose
B/W ------ B/W ------ 12v+
G/B ------ White ------ MS Trigger (to Pin 24 on DB37, or Relay Board TACH terminal)
G/Y ------ Black ------ not used
Black ------ Black ------ Ground

So I soldered the tach signal wire (pin 24) to the green/black wire..

I set up megasquirt for wasted spark and the toothed wheel and still no rpm signal, so I still believe it is the hall effect sensor that is on it's way. I will hopefully post with updates when I get the new sensor in the mail and see if that solved my problem. I am not sure if I need a 12v power source with a 1k 1/4 watt resistor running to pin 24 as well like in the wiring diagram also on the page mentioned above.-->http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... _240sx.htm

Thanks for any input/comments/criticism in advance guys. I hope you guys like what i've done with it and I hope you stay tuned to see my progress on this build this summer.
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

awesome!!!! i wanna run ms too!
. 97 D21 . BELLTECH DROPPED . TORSION BARS .ENKEI'S . AZENIS . TURBO
NYR SCCA MEMBER
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

motorhead wrote:awesome!!!! i wanna run ms too!
Megasquirt is truly awesome! It is great for piecing together a custom build with parts from different car manufacturers and for the diy'er because you can configure just about any sensor to work with any engine. I love it cause you get to learn so much about the processes that occur in an engine that make it run and how all the electrical components work together with ms. I highly recommend it for it's price and versatility, it's well worth the money. :D
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Hey guys. I haven't done an update in a while, but I've still been working on the hardbody! I did actually figure out my issues with not getting an rpm signal in ms, and it turned out I was just all confused looking at many different diagrams of mods needed to run wasted spark, but all I had to do besides the 2 spark outputs was a 1k pull up on the signal. So I had it running, dialed in the #1 tooth angle with a timing light and got things all matched up. Still n/a, I messed around with some spark cut launch control settings just for fun :twisted: and made some LOUD explosions even with my huge chambered muffler that I had! Then tore it back apart to get the turbo on! I took the oil pan off and I welded on the oil pan bung for my turbo drain.

I then went ahead and took off the stock exhaust and put the turbo manifold on, got the turbo all ready with an m12x1.5 to -4an adapter for the feed and a universal ebay -10an drain flange. I got the tial wastegate on and I cut in between cylinder 2 and 3 on the turbo manifold for heat expansion. Now for the pictures:

Setting the timing

Wastegate

Manifold mounted

This is how the exhaust housing looked when I bought the turbo. Pretty gross looking

Since I had to rotate the turbo for my top mount setup, I had to take the exhaust housing off which involves loosening the v band on the hy35 and I had to heat the piss out of the seam and lightly tap on the exhaust housing to get it to slowly come apart enough to get a flathead in there to pull it apart. Once that was off I ground off a little roll pin that holds the housing in it's oem orientation, so now it will rotate 360*, which also makes the stock internal wastegate useless. I disconnected the wastegate actuator, and I held the flapper shut and I welded the steel part on the outside of the exhaust housing. I then did some of the inside just to be sure.

Then I had to bore out the 2 threaded holes on the turbo exhaust housing mounting holes, because I had to put the 2 studs into the manifold with nuts on the turbo side instead of the other way around on the stock configuration.

Treats in my oil pan

Welding the oil pan bung

all hooked up

I spray painted my oil pan after doing the bung

There wasn't much room to weld on the outside of the pan, so I made sure the inside was going to seal, so I did a weld before the one below but wasn't too happy with my welder settings, so I ground it down, and made this beauty

Oh and here you can see the cut I made for heat expansion.

Just need to make some intake piping and intercooler stuff and then bring the truck in to get the downpipe made. I'm probably going to just use some steel exhaust piping for the small amount of intercooler piping i'm going to need cause then I can have as little amount of couplers as possible. Then I'll bring the piping I make to work and have them powder coated inside and out fo freeeee! :dance: Then it's tune time! I'm definitely going to take it easy for a while, cause I want to actually drive this thing and enjoy it for a while before something breaks or I blow a head gasket!

More pictures will be uploaded once I get the intercooler and the piping all done. Stay tuned.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid276.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fkk32%2Ftchida_boy%2FVIDEO0154.mp4&title=">
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Just finished mounting the intercooler! Now I have to order a few couplers and stuff for the intake and intercooler piping
vg33t
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by vg33t »

Looking good man. Really miss my KAT days. Haven't been on here in a long time but I've still got the old KA sitting and collecting dust. Might throw it in an old datsun some day.
ImageImageImage
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Thank you vg33t, it means a lot!

I recently got a few things done so I will post up some pictures of it all!

Here is a home made battery tray I made That turned out pretty nice I think. I plan on mounting in the bed right behind the passenger side in the corner. I think I'm just going to weld the bottom of my tray to my bed, and hack up one of those marine battery boxes to cover the battery from the elements

Here is that dump tube I made earlier. I worked at a powder coating and sandblasting shop for this summer up until last Friday before going off to college next weekend out of town, and am guaranteed a job for next summer which is awesome because I can powder coat and blast anything for FREE!

Look at that texture! :mrgreen: This is a black hi-temp powder.

Here is the fabrication of my hot pipe. Don't need much at all! All I did was cut a bunch of wedges with a 10* angle I believe, and tape them up to where I needed them.

All Done

Here is one of the small pieces of cold piping, for my IAT sensor for megasquirt

Here it is in the engine bay

Now I was going to do a gloss black powder coat for all these so they would match my couplers but on my last day when I brought them in, they were done doing that color before all these were done being washed and dried in the oven. So this is a 60% silver 40% black mix of hi-temp powder. I didn't need it to be hi-temp because there's no way my intake piping is going to get into the 1000's of degrees F, but the opportunity presented itself so that's what I did.

On the engine

I know, I know, The wiring is a mess, but I just need to get some loom to tidy it up. I've just been more concerned with other things lately.
A lot of cleaning up to do... :(

Let me know what you guys think of the colors! More to come! If anyone has any ideas on where to mount the coil pack, please share!