I/C routing on the trucks

For those truckers!
NoKittenXIII
Dreams of owning a 240!

I/C routing on the trucks

Post by NoKittenXIII »

I was wondering if anyone was willing to share pics of their intercooler pipe routing on their trucks. I'm getting closer to the build on the 97 motor in my garage, and I'd like ideas on how best to run the pipes.
Likes to get dirty.

04 Xterra <- Ol' Blue
On hold for the Beast's rebuild
10 Explorer 4X4<- Mom's Station Wagon
81 F250 2WD <- The Beast
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Re: I/C routing on the trucks

Post by tchida14 »

I'm assuming you're going with a FMIC? I'm gonna use a side mount from a passat. There will be a coupler going from the turbo straight to the side mount then about 2 feet and a 90* bend into the throttle body! Keeping it simple at first because I just want to get it running, then go FMIC when i need. I'll be interested to see other's set ups to get some ideas!
NoKittenXIII
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by NoKittenXIII »

tchida14 wrote:I'm assuming you're going with a FMIC? I'm gonna use a side mount from a passat. There will be a coupler going from the turbo straight to the side mount then about 2 feet and a 90* bend into the throttle body! Keeping it simple at first because I just want to get it running, then go FMIC when i need. I'll be interested to see other's set ups to get some ideas!

I want to go front mount, as I think it will actually be the simplest and shortest routing. I have a TON of room up front with my custom bumper, and I have a 240 KA to drop it, so the intake points forward, not up. Trying to avoid sharp bends like that 90*
Likes to get dirty.

04 Xterra <- Ol' Blue
81 F250 2WD <- The Beast
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

NoKittenXIII wrote:
tchida14 wrote:I'm assuming you're going with a FMIC? I'm gonna use a side mount from a passat. There will be a coupler going from the turbo straight to the side mount then about 2 feet and a 90* bend into the throttle body! Keeping it simple at first because I just want to get it running, then go FMIC when i need. I'll be interested to see other's set ups to get some ideas!

I want to go front mount, as I think it will actually be the simplest and shortest routing. I have a TON of room up front with my custom bumper, and I have a 240 KA to drop it, so the intake points forward, not up. Trying to avoid sharp bends like that 90*
Do you have any pictures of your custom bumper? I'd like to see that! I'm in the process of making an intake manifold right now that will have a forward facing throttle body, so it should work out nicely once i get that all done.
NoKittenXIII
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by NoKittenXIII »

I have most of my up to date pictures in my "What I'm Starting with" thread. It's a Calmini full steel replacement bumper. Now that the lift is on, I've noticed a decline in throttle response. I suspect it's a power to weight issue. The steel upgrades and armor are heavier than the KA is designed for. It's NA now, so the turbo build should improve that weakness. I'm only going to start with a T28 off of a SR20. Should help out enough for now. A lot of my time and resources are being taken up by my 81 F250 rebuild. I am preparing it to tow the Nissan in case of PCS (permanent change of station).
Likes to get dirty.

04 Xterra <- Ol' Blue
81 F250 2WD <- The Beast
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

i snuck mine inside the front bumper and drilled speedholes for airflow
. 97 D21 . BELLTECH DROPPED . TORSION BARS .ENKEI'S . AZENIS . TURBO
NYR SCCA MEMBER
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

ImageIMG_1632 by RAD.ULAR%$#!, on Flickr
NYR SCCA MEMBER
95hardbodychuchu
NooB

Post by 95hardbodychuchu »

I like that look of drilling the bumper, never seen anything like that before, looks sick man!
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

Thanks it was a pita but well worth it. I rubn a s15 t28 on a otherwise stock motor, its a lil beasttttt and torquey too
NYR SCCA MEMBER
95hardbodychuchu
NooB

Post by 95hardbodychuchu »

Got a link to some more pics of your truck? Would love to see more
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

Yeah sure check out my flickr by clicking the pics
Im motorholic on instagram
And motorhead on infamousnissan.com
John anthony franco on fb
NYR SCCA MEMBER
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Heres my front mount setup:
Don't look at my wiring mess... that's another whole project i have to take on.I'm not too fond of the 90's on the cold side but what ever! The greyish pipes I custom made out of steel. I am pleased with my setup, very simple. Some of the right side of the pictures got cut off, but you get the picture.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Glad to see you have it together and running now?
Did you do away with your a/c or the pickup never had it?
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Adrenalin wrote:Glad to see you have it together and running now?
Did you do away with your a/c or the pickup never had it?
Haven't driven it yet since getting the intercooler piping on, since the battery needs to be moved to the bed, but hopefully by the end of today I will take it for a drive and do some tuning. That's the goal anyway.. it was driving fine with none of the piping on, or a downpipe and turbo just whistling away! :D I removed ac, and power steering completely. It's pretty hard to steer now though with a gearbox that's meant for power steering.. I need to find a manual steering box.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Ha, if it wasn't for the distance I'd swap you. I have manual steering rack and would like power steer. I'm keeping a/c also so trying to fit my fmic in front of the condenser. But not enough room between the bumper/grille and condenser, so a custom bumper seems the solution. Removing a/c in Australia is not an option. 40°c in summer.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135