98 Frontier build

For those truckers!
KAtruckin
NooB

98 Frontier build

Post by KAtruckin »

Hi guys,
I just posted in introductions but wanted to start a build thread here to keep me motivated!! I have a bagged 98 Nissan Frontier with the KA24DE in it. I have a lot of the turbo accessories already to boost it but I am missing a few things. I know you are all going to question some of my decisions with this build but I have researched to death the things I have already gotten for it or done to it. I will be using the truck intake manifold partially because I already adapted it for IC piping and partially because it makes it a truck and not a Frontier with a straight 240 engine. I want to see what kind of power I'll get with that manifold and maybe convert later. The bottom mount manifold allowed me to keep my a/c but now I have to mod of fab my driver side motor mount for the turbo to fit. I'm only looking for 5-7 psi for now and looks and realiability are priority since this is a show truck! I'm a bit of a turbo newb when it comes to boosting a non boosted motor so any help of comments would be highly appreciated!!
Parts I already have:
- Evo 3 Big 16G turbo (not from ebay)
- Megan SS bottom mount manifold
^^^^^Those two are already put together using a custom adapter plate and many hours of research
I got the turbo for cheap and wanted to use it.
- decent sized bar and plate intercooler that I already have fit behind the front bumper (2.5" in and out)
- I/C piping and connectors (2.5")
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Evo 9 560cc injectors and resistor block
- emissions all deleted and I made my own block off plates out of 1/8" aluminum plate
- oil and coolant in and out lines

Things I know I still need:
- Top feed fuel rail
- I think my truck MAF sensor will work for now but not sure
- gauges (boost and oil pressure)
- make a new wastegate braket
- possibly direct wire the fuel pump with a second relay
- options for tuning

Im open to any advice but my first and foremost question that I have searched long and hard for is if the KA24DE 240sx top feed conversion fuel rail will work on my truck manifold? As long as the spacing is the same for the fuel injectors I dont mind making brakets for the rail to be at the correct position. Any help from anyone would be highly appreciated!!
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Re: 98 Frontier build

Post by tchida14 »

I highly recommend megasquirt. I love my megasquirt and it works awesome for me on my hardbody! If you want to learn how to tune and learn a lot more about your engine and the way it runs I would suggest that, and also because it can pretty much work with any combination of sensors/parts from different vehicles and other custom parts that a stock ecu wouldn't run well with. It also allows you with room for improvement if you want to upgrade parts or up the boost since you just tune it yourself. Or you can always just take it to a professional as well.

Sounds like an interesting build! it would be sweet to see some pictures! :mrgreen:
KAtruckin
NooB

Post by KAtruckin »

I'll try and get some pics up later of the motor. I have heard of megasquirt but didnt know how it worked. I'll get to researching that!

Here is the truck. The bed, bumper and grill are out of it right now though.
daydriver
NooB

Post by daydriver »

Hey man stay motivated. Im getting close to having all the parts together for my build.