timing in the ka24e 94 hardbody

For those truckers!
slrrls
NooB

timing in the ka24e 94 hardbody

Post by slrrls »

I picked up a 94 hardbody and it lacks power down the hwy. If I'm on even just a slight long incline and try to increase speed say from 60 to 75 it is a beast to get up to speed.
I read that timing is supposed to be set by #1 piston on tdc with the crank key at 12oclk and the cam key at 12oclk and the dist rotor point at #1 cylinder then pull the tps cable and set idle to 700.
set timing at 15deg btdc
looking at the knotches this would be 1st knotch on crank is 5deg after tdc next notch is tdc then each knotch there after is 5 deg sot 15 deg would be the 5th knotch over from the 1st knotch.

When I try to set timing and do the above procedure a few problems occur
1st prob is the rotor points more to just before the front driver wheel when I line up both keys with #1 piston top of stroke.
2nd timng light shows I'm only getting to 5 deg btdc.
I moved the chain ahead on the cam gear 1 knotch and it did not change the timing setting so I moved it back one knotch and back one knotch again (counter clockwise) but this did not afect the timing either.
The motor running is still tdc.
Before I moved the chain I was getting 10deg btdc to 5deg btdc.
I expected that when I moved the chain on the cam counter clockwise then I would start seeing some adjustable range on the dist but the dist is still cranked all the way to the right ( to the wrist right, turning wrist to right)
3rd I can't find a screw that changes the idle it stays at 1200 rpm then settles down to about 900rpm after idle a few seconds.

I installed a new timing chain but the timing has not changed.
I even undid the oil pump and set the rotor to point at #1 cylinder with both keys at 12oclock and #1 piston at top of stroke. The truck would not start at all then so I put it back to the marks I had made before I started any of this business.

Any body been here before? What was the fix?
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Re: timing in the ka24e 94 hardbody

Post by tchida14 »

Timing should set at 10* btdc or the 4th notch from the left most notch on the crank pulley, not 15*.

Not sure where your getting 15* from, but on your hood it will say idle speed (750 +-50 i believe) and ignition timing (10* +-2*).
slrrls
NooB

Post by slrrls »

I just spent 2 days trying to get the timing above zero degree. It was at least 5 deg b4 tdc before I started.
Moved the cam gear to the left and then back to zero and again moved it to the rt 1 and then 1 again. In the process I picked up a dist and oil pump worm gear at the junk yard to replace mine. My worm gear was chipped up and I figured it would rule out a prob with the dist.
Just now thought about it but wish I had counted the teeth on the cam gears at the junk yard and compared them to mine.
I had read a thread of a person that had twin cams, he was having the problem with timing and someone mentioned he may have gotten the wrong cam gears for replacment. They mentioned rotating the motor while counting the advancement of the cam gear compared to the advancment of the crank gear.
I'm going to move the cam gear to the rt again tomorrow for a one last try.
I'm about decided this motor is just slap wore out.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Here is a link to the hardbody FSM where i'm sure it will tell you everything you need to know about your truck and more.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/1994/
I would check the EM section.
Hopefully you find what your looking for.
slrrls
NooB

Post by slrrls »

Manual! awesome thanks for the link.
I see in the manual that I installed the oil slinger on the crank backwards. I had watched two videos on youtube concerning rebuild and timing chain and one of the videos actually said to install the oil slinger large end first where as the manual shows the small smooth end goes on first.
The section on motor didn't say alot about timing just 3 quick steps.
The only difference I might find is that the silver link in the chain may not be lining up with the punch on the cam sprocket at 3 oclock when the came sprocket is set at tdc.
I know there were two silver links on the chain when I installed the timing chain.
I set it once and read that I need to set it on the second silver link so I had done so.
I have moved this chain on the sprocket a couple times so this does not line up any more.
however when I had set it originally the timing still would not advance past 4 deg tdc.
I just can't see how the silver link lining up on the punch mark would prevent the vehicle from advancing any more than zero deg.
right now it won't go past 5 deg after tdc and the distrib is turned clockwise all the way so the bolt touches the side of the adjustment groove.
What time I had today I spent with throttle body adjustments.

Gonna try to advance the chain on the cam sprocket tomorrow to adjust the timing then maybe pose the question in a seperate post about the silver link lining up with the punch mark on cam. see if anyone knows if that makes a difference and then well I might be done. I can't take odd ball crap like that but so long.

From what I have gathered so far about advancing the timing with the chain is:
If you move the cam sprocket one knotch at a time to the right then move the cam shaft to catch up with the sprocket pin hole. But if you move to the left initially then it will not start.
If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

slrrls wrote:Manual! awesome thanks for the link.
I see in the manual that I installed the oil slinger on the crank backwards. I had watched two videos on youtube concerning rebuild and timing chain and one of the videos actually said to install the oil slinger large end first where as the manual shows the small smooth end goes on first.
The section on motor didn't say alot about timing just 3 quick steps.
The only difference I might find is that the silver link in the chain may not be lining up with the punch on the cam sprocket at 3 oclock when the came sprocket is set at tdc.
I know there were two silver links on the chain when I installed the timing chain.
I set it once and read that I need to set it on the second silver link so I had done so.
I have moved this chain on the sprocket a couple times so this does not line up any more.
however when I had set it originally the timing still would not advance past 4 deg tdc.
I just can't see how the silver link lining up on the punch mark would prevent the vehicle from advancing any more than zero deg.
right now it won't go past 5 deg after tdc and the distrib is turned clockwise all the way so the bolt touches the side of the adjustment groove.
What time I had today I spent with throttle body adjustments.

Gonna try to advance the chain on the cam sprocket tomorrow to adjust the timing then maybe pose the question in a seperate post about the silver link lining up with the punch mark on cam. see if anyone knows if that makes a difference and then well I might be done. I can't take odd ball crap like that but so long.

From what I have gathered so far about advancing the timing with the chain is:
If you move the cam sprocket one knotch at a time to the right then move the cam shaft to catch up with the sprocket pin hole. But if you move to the left initially then it will not start.
If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
I have no experience with messing around with the timing chain so I can't really help you there but the internet is your friend... Hopefully someone else who has done this will chime in, but if not, just google it. It might take you a while to find what your looking for but I bet you will find something useful. try "ka24e timing"
slrrls
NooB

Post by slrrls »

Yea, Iv'e searched it to death, searching the internet led me to a few groups. I posted on two this being one of the groups.
So you do or don't have any experience with the timing on a ka24e? oh just looked you don't have any experience with it, sorry.

It's times like these that it becomes apparent one is beating a dead horse.

I advanced the timing gear one knotch again and immediately saw the timing at 15 deg btdc at probably 1700 rpm.
Then as the the engine settled back to normal idle so the timing settled once again at 0 degree and this with the distributor cranked all the way counter clockwise with no more adjustment to go.

I'm beginning to suspect the computer is at fault.