s14 intake manifold swap attempt on my 00 frontier

For those truckers!
myka24det
Dreams of owning a 240!

s14 intake manifold swap attempt on my 00 frontier

Post by myka24det »

I finally found a frontier and so begins my attempt to modify it to my liking.. I've searched and search and to my dismay. Not one 240sx dohc intake swap, with the exception of a supercharger build...so i decided to make it my next mod.. just looking at the trucks intake/ps setup i'm pretty sure with just moving the temp sensors i shouldn't have a problem keeping power steering... the bracket mount location on the head looks exactly like the s14 with the 2 12mm bolt holes that are used on the s-chassis as ground locations...sooo once i acquire the rest of the parts and figure out where i'm putting the battery... i will begin the install process with pics...

When i got the truck

3"drop blocks and loosened torsions

Dohc intake! my philosophy delete everythin.. Well remote mount iac more pics of that soon

Holes welded shut

One main issue is the front facing temp sensors. So they are moved

9_228008193989401_678376543_n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My itb setup Im building

Intake manifold and remote mount iac are done, and ready for install.. just waiting on intake pipe and battery relocation Stuff to come in .. Then the install..

My intake pipe is taking its good ole time getting here from California.. Tracking says tomorrow... If that is the case im goin to try the install Wednesday... But for now some more pics... Battery is now located in the bed...

[Image

LoImage

Last edited by myka24det on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what goes up must come down
myka24det
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: s14 intake manifold swap attempt on my 00 frontier

Post by myka24det »

well that didn't go well... if it aint broke don't fix it lol...sooo while everything was removed i attempted to mock up the s14 s-chassis intake manifold... first issue was the location of both temp sensors...DO NOT DO WHAT I DID... delete them from the manifold itself and relocate inline in the upper rad hose... even with moving them up top they still interfered with the ps bracket... so since i didnt have a welder handy i just modified the bracket to work... next the s14 tps (throttle position sensor) has 2 plugs and sits directly in front of the thermostat housing which gets in the way of the rad hose.. so to remedy this i used a
s-chassis thermostat housing which sticks out closer to the rad... now that that is fixed i attempt to install the power steering pump... again i hit a snag.. the power steering pump is hitting the upper plug on the tps sensor... also now that the thermostat housing is out farther, the ps pump pulley now hits the rad hose... so to my dismay tomorrow i will be fabbing up a new ps bracket to push the pump away from the tps sensor and thermostat housing.. then to find a longer belt.. btw all the s14 sensor plugs work but everyone has to be extended unfortunately...also u have to use s-chassis intake manifold bolts.. The truck bolts are not long enough! more pics tomorrow
here are some pics from today

tair down

old manifold off

coolant block off...i do this on all my ka builds for a cleaner look.. before i installed s-chassis thermostat housing..

egr pipe removed.. going to cut the pipe and weld it shut about an inch from the exhaust manifold, then reinstall..

thermal intake gasket

manifold installed for test fit... when i realized the thermostat housing wasnt goin to work

s-chassis thermostat housing now installed

myka24det
Dreams of owning a 240!

failed miserably

Post by myka24det »

well that didn't work! i was unable to complete the swap... the frontier ka ps pump location get in the way of EVERYTHING... if u want to keep power steering u have to swap the complete s-chassis front cover and timing chain to move the dizzy location to utilize s-chassis ps pump location along with extending the oil sump.... sooo for now i put it back to stock with the exception of keeping thermal intake gasket, deleting egr completely, soldering in a 100k 1/4 watt resister to get rid of the cel light for no egr, added a $12 oil catch can so oil from pcv isn't going back into the engine, deleted coolant lines to throttle body, deleted fic (fast idle cam) not needed for cold starts iac works fine for cold starts... warm idle is now 600-700 rpm so i will use less gas at idle... for now im looking for a spare frontier ka to mock up my s-chassis timing chain and covers... also im goin to finish my itb setup and figure out fuel management on the truck so there is no need for the mafs.... sorry for letting anyone who was interested in this swap down...

thermal gasket

$12 oil catch can working great