We just might grenade a KA24E on our dyno this week...

http://www.diyautotune.com
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

We just might grenade a KA24E on our dyno this week...

Post by Matt Cramer »

Hopefully the single cam crew will forgive us, as it's for a good cause. We'll be trying out a couple rather risky things on our S13 project car that may be a bit too much for the 200,000 mile engine. This car is likely to get an engine swap for some Bonneville Salt Flats racing, but before that happens, we want to use it to gather some information on getting some other things really dialed in on this motor and it's going into some of our future tuning work on KAs. Details will be up when it happens.

In other news, we're about halfway through with a manual transmission swap on our purchasing manager's S14. The KA24DE in that car is in no danger of being swapped out any time soon.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Well, not this week - it ended up blowing the clutch early into the testing and can't be run at full power on the dyno. Got some useful results out of it so far.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Cool. Keep us updated. More info on the SOHC is needed.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
priest260
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by priest260 »

Yes very needed it's a tough sacrifice but could save tons of sohc's in the future including mine!
kcuf toilet bowl racing!
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

The clutch is now slipping so badly we can't load it up enough to produce knock. We managed to get some useful data before it blew, but now it's on to plan B - put the test equipment on a wrecked Sentra we had sitting around the shop, and start gutting the 240SX to put a full roll cage in it.
Jackasknissan
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jackasknissan »

what broke first?>
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Jackasknissan wrote:what broke first?>
The clutch, which wasn't in great shape to begin with. Well, we had a fault in the factory wiring harness that had to be fixed first so it would run on all four. We got a couple of sessions in where we had it loaded up pretty well and had it knocking, but the KA24E is still running fine.
wheelman
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by wheelman »

In the process of trying to tune my KnockSense module (almost impossible to get it right) I attempted to get my KA24DE to generate audible ping. Had to advance the timing to about 60* BTDC at low rpm and run it at about 16:1 AFR before I could hear it, even then it wasn't loud and the engine didn't seem to be struggling.

These are tough motors!!!
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
Jackasknissan

Post by Jackasknissan »

possibility of e-mailing me your msq for timing?

im trying to get somwhat of a data bank of maps to get my show on the road.

i know they wont directly work ( obviusly)
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Jackasknissan wrote:possibility of e-mailing me your msq for timing?
Well, I could send you either the map we used at the start of tuning where we weren't able to finish dialing it in because the clutch would start smoking at full throttle, or the map we were using trying to make it knock? :D I'm afraid we did not finish any good, well tuned timing maps on this motor.

I was also listening with a Phormula KS-Pro as a benchmark for the testing - didn't want to wait for audible knock to have this thing start reading knock.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Got the Sentra up and running on the ECUs we were trying in the 240, and getting some useful data today.
Jackasknissan

Post by Jackasknissan »

both would be ideal for my data base .

the more data i have the better :lol:
torch'd

Post by torch'd »

on the sohc is the ms controllign the distributor or what did u do for ignition??? if there is a project log ucan link me too thatd be great :D.
going fast, i can do that... this going sideways thing is tricky.....
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

The MS was controlling the distributor. We ran several different setups on it - one was a development mule for this.
torch'd

Post by torch'd »

sweet. im running a ms1 still ( i know yucky) on my sohc right now but its only purpose is so i could run a map based system. i want to upgrade and will be running a supercharger and nitrous (ms extra is amazing for n2o) anywyas was wondering if the ka distirbutor was fully electronically controllable and it looks like the answer is yes which is awesome. will be ordering my ms3 from u shortly :D
going fast, i can do that... this going sideways thing is tricky.....