DIY PNP Megasquirt Launch Control

http://www.diyautotune.com
Super Coupe
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

DIY PNP Megasquirt Launch Control

Post by Super Coupe »

Anyone have any advice on wiring this up in the DIYPNP? ( JECS88) 96' s14.

Figured this would be useful information for others down the road also.

I was thinking using my clutch switch. Then I remember previous owner did 5 speed swap and it was not there.

Still might wire a switch on the pedal, then run a relay off of it.

How would you guys go about wiring it on the board though?
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

I used the DB15 connector to run it into the unit. Then I just wired from the DB15 wire on the board to the input I used for launch.
I used the factory clutch switch. Wired it to the side that is grounded by the switch.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Seeing as I dont have a switch. I would have to find one and wire it up with a relay.

My input 1 it taken by the a/c relay. I can use input 2 correct?

Also. Couldnt I just find a unused wire in the wiring harness and wire the switch/relay through that. Then jumper it off the connector board to input 2?
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

You can do it that way. I did mine this way so I can unplug it if the flatshift starts messing with my downshifts.
I actually have my boost controller wiring going through the old MAFS connector. Figured it is already shielded and in the right place, might as well use it.
Just call me Adam.
08 Honda Fit
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Just because I like to complicate things....

So in order to use launch control. I have to enable it every time before a run via tuner studio?

No way to leave it permanently on in tuner studio?

My the ideal situation would be to always have it on. Then wire the clutch switch to a switch on my instrument panel. So I can turn the power to the clutch switch on and off with ease.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

You should be able to leave launch control permanently on.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Matt Cramer wrote:You should be able to leave launch control permanently on.
Ok.

So lets says I left launch control enabled in tunerstudio. Would it be smart of me to run the clutch switch to a toggle switch somewhere on my dash board to cut the signal to the clutch switch?

This way if I suddenly have a highway run ( closed course) I could leave the toggle switch off this way I don't active launch control?

Would I even need to do that if I was shifting normally? Seeing as the parameters would only activate launch control if the clutch and gas pedals were pushed all the way in at the same time...

If I am letting off the gas pedal while shifting, The TPS voltage would not meet the parameters set for launch control.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

From my understanding, it should always be on in TS and only activated whenever the clutch is pushed. Now if you want to have it switched, Place the switch in between the ground feed from the switch (like emo stated) that goes to the squirt. Basically, if you put it after the switch feed that goes to the starter relay, the starter will not engage if you have the switch off.

Should go like this.

Common Ground --> Clutch switch --> Switched Ground Out from clutch switch to starter relay --> one wire to starter relay and another to a switch --> From switch to MS

Please correct me if I am wrong.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

supakat wrote:From my understanding, it should always be on in TS and only activated whenever the clutch is pushed. Now if you want to have it switched, Place the switch in between the ground feed from the switch (like emo stated) that goes to the squirt. Basically, if you put it after the switch feed that goes to the starter relay, the starter will not engage if you have the switch off.

Should go like this.

Common Ground --> Clutch switch --> Switched Ground Out from clutch switch to starter relay --> one wire to starter relay and another to a switch --> From switch to MS

The launch control shouldn't activate during normal highway driving. It should only kick in when you have a lot of throttle opening (the exact amount is something you can tune) and are above a certain RPM. So if you lift off the throttle to shift, the launch control won't engage.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Sounds good. I need to set it up and read this section of the manual. Thanks for the clarification.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Matt Cramer wrote:
supakat wrote:From my understanding, it should always be on in TS and only activated whenever the clutch is pushed. Now if you want to have it switched, Place the switch in between the ground feed from the switch (like emo stated) that goes to the squirt. Basically, if you put it after the switch feed that goes to the starter relay, the starter will not engage if you have the switch off.

Should go like this.

The launch control shouldn't activate during normal highway driving. It should only kick in when you have a lot of throttle opening (the exact amount is something you can tune) and are above a certain RPM. So if you lift off the throttle to shift, the launch control won't engage.
My only concern is lets say I am cruising the highway and a z06 rolls up and I want to run it and launch control is enabled.

Correct me if I am wrong. Launch control activates when the clutch switch is grounded ( pushed in) and the TPS reads a certain voltage.

So if I am lifting while shifting. Only the clutch would be pushed in. TPS should read something low if anything at all ( it closes pretty fast). So if I set the voltage activation pretty high ( or even max limit) I shouldnt have a problem correct?

Sorry if I sound like I am repeating myself. I just want to be clear on what I am doing..
Last edited by Super Coupe on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Should go like this.

I plan on wiring a stand alone switch on the clutch, if I do end up wiring it to a toggle.

Reason being, I don't have a factory clutch switch. Car was auto, starter circuit is jumpered, so I can start car without clutch being pushed in ( previous owner).
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

poke around in the software. Mine is set so that it is only active over 60% throttle and launch is only below 4200 rpm. Above that, it switches over to flatshift and limits to 4800 rpm.
So far i havent run into any issues downshifting. The flatshift can be turned off if you only want launch control. All of my settings are in the 2 step video thread if you want something to look at. Also, my tune is in the link in my signature.
Just call me Adam.
08 Honda Fit
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I am going to be looking at your MSQ. I was playing with settings today. Flex and PE1 did not do anything. I thought PA0 was right but it kept lc'ing without the clutch in as I find out when I went to drive. lol. When I was playing with it, I tried it and it kept climbing up past 4000. I was trying around 3500 just to play with it. Oh well. I only played with it for 15 minutes.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
PuNcHdRuNk
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

good stuff going on in here, i need to hook up my lc as well, but was concerned with having enough outputs to do cop and launch control and everything else.........
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

Keep in mind the MS is looking for a ground to activate LC. I'm not sure if the polarity can be flipped in the software. I could be wrong, but I think you would need to wire the MS signal wire to the positive side of the clutch button in your diagram, and just run the grounded side of the switch (where you have the MS box in your diagram) to a ground. That way the ground is switched.
I was a dolt when I first wired mine up. I put it on the ground side of the switch and couldn't figure out why I was always in LC.
Just call me Adam.
08 Honda Fit
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Ok so, I opened up the clutch switch and this is what I found. Great for those of you who like to see things to better understand, like myself.

Clutch out:

Black pin moves in and out, depending on whether the clutch is being pushed in or not. When the clutch is out ( not being pressed down) the black pin spreads the contacts away from each other.

Clutch pushed in:
As you can see the black pin moves in a little bit, allowing the contacts to collapse and touch. This grounds out the signal. Which activates launch control.

Inputs you can use for launch control:
ADC 1
ADC2
Flex (PE0)
PE1 (Labled as table switching) However Emo_Tactical has successfully used it as launch control input.
PA0

Info here:
http://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/docs1 ... tputs.html

Configurations:

Option 1:
There are two wires on the back of the clutch switch. Ground one wire on the chassis. Take the other wire, run it to any pin you choose on the DB15 connector. If you look into the DB15 connector you will see each pin is labeled with a number 1-15. Find the corresponding pin on the board ( behind d15 connector you will see 1-15) solder a wire in that hole. Take the other end of the jumper wire and solder it into whatever hole you choose from the list above. Then go in Tuner Studio and assign the hole you soldered the jumper wire in. You will find this in the launch control section of Tuner Studio, it will give you a list of inputs ( which are listed above). Then proceed to put in your parameters for launch control.

Option 2:
There are two wires on the back of the clutch switch. Ground one wire on the chassis. Take the other wire from the back of the switch, find a unused wire in your engine harness ( that runs to the ecu connector) solder those two wires together. Be sure you know which pin that unused wires goes to. So seeing as you know the correct pin, find it on the board behind the ecu connector. Solder a jumper in that hole, take the other end of the jumper and solder it into a hole from the list above. Go in Tuner Studio and set Launch Control to that pin and put in your parameters for launch control.

Launch control is activated when the clutch is pushed in, grounding it to whatever pin you wired which is selected as launch control in Tuner Studio.

Hope I simplified this for some people, even though it is really simple to begin with.

The above instructions are for you DIYPNP guys.

*******For those of you running the MSPNP following documentation here:
http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/maindocs.htm
Last edited by Super Coupe on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PuNcHdRuNk

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

got my launch control up and running today! i used flex as my input port and it worked great, would anyone care to share some screens of there settings? i have some roughed in settings that are allowing me to build around 10-12 psi but am not completley sure how safe they are. i would love to take a look at some other peoples settings.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

PuNcHdRuNk wrote:got my launch control up and running today! i used flex as my input port and it worked great, would anyone care to share some screens of there settings? i have some roughed in settings that are allowing me to build around 10-12 psi but am not completley sure how safe they are. i would love to take a look at some other peoples settings.
Here is what Emo wrote in the Launch Control video thread.

"I've got mine set to retard timing to 20 ATDC at 2800 then cut 7 out of 8 sparks at 3900. It usually keeps it right at 4k and has some nasty fireballs.
I'm only making 6 psi, though. I wonder if I could strain my turbo less by bumping the rpm up and advancing the timing a bit?"

Not sure if it will help you or not. Other people also posted their settings, I believe most are on AEM. Glad you got it sorted out!!!
PuNcHdRuNk

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

here is a screen of my current settings,with these i am making 10-12 psi pretty quickly it may make more if i hold it longer, i am very open to suggestion in this matter so input as always is appreciated

PuNcHdRuNk

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

supakat wrote:I am going to be looking at your MSQ. I was playing with settings today. Flex and PE1 did not do anything. I thought PA0 was right but it kept lc'ing without the clutch in as I find out when I went to drive. lol. When I was playing with it, I tried it and it kept climbing up past 4000. I was trying around 3500 just to play with it. Oh well. I only played with it for 15 minutes.
i started my day with this problem and it was because i was using the top clutch switch instead of the switch at the bottom of the pedal.........
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

PuNcHdRuNk wrote:
supakat wrote:I am going to be looking at your MSQ. I was playing with settings today. Flex and PE1 did not do anything. I thought PA0 was right but it kept lc'ing without the clutch in as I find out when I went to drive. lol. When I was playing with it, I tried it and it kept climbing up past 4000. I was trying around 3500 just to play with it. Oh well. I only played with it for 15 minutes.
i started my day with this problem and it was because i was using the top clutch switch instead of the switch at the bottom of the pedal.........
Ya if I recall correctly one is related to the cruise control, the other is the clutch switch.

Clutch switch should have a black wire. The other switch I believe has two colored wires.
Last edited by Super Coupe on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I have only seen one switch. This is the switch that needs to be pressed in order for the starter to engage. Either I am missing something or just need to look closer. I wonder why it is not working for me.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I responded just when you added and edited.

I have seen three switches under there. One for clutch, two for brake. One is to cancel the cruise control and the other is to light the breaks.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

supakat wrote:I have only seen one switch. This is the switch that needs to be pressed in order for the starter to engage. Either I am missing something or just need to look closer. I wonder why it is not working for me.
Did you put the top piece on the jumper on the board? Obviously I don't have the mspnp, but from the looks of things in the link I posted you need to enable it on the board.

Edit: It seems as if it is placed there from the factory. I would just check and make sure it is there. From there ask Matt if he has any advice.

http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/maindocs.htm

This is the link I am referring to, section 3 has yellow arrows one pointing to the clutch jumper. In the description towards the top it says if you are using an external switch remove that jumper. So apparently it's supposed to be there already.

Your other choice supa is you could remove that jumper. Then wire the positive side of the clutch switch to pin 9 on the DB15 connector like it says. Just make sure the other side is grounded. Not sure if u want it that way but it is an option for worst case scenario.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Also Supa,

If you look under section 4 in the link I posted . Find Launch Control. It states something about the neutral safety switch interfering causing it to activate in neutral.

Not sure if this is related to your issue or not. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Post a vid when you get it working.
PuNcHdRuNk

Post by PuNcHdRuNk »

my clutch pedal actually has two switches, one is at the top of the throw of the pedal and the other at the bottom, i had to use the one at the bottom, i converted mine from auto to manual so im not exactly sure what every switch was supposed to do from the factory but as i found out today the switch is only in the closed position ( completed circuit) when the switch is depressed, and on another note because of my CC twin disk and my clutch stop i had to put a bolt into the hole that normally actuates the switch at the bottom of the throw of the pedal and adjust it until the pedal actually came into contact with the switch. hope that makes sense, if it would help anyone im glad to post pics. i simply grounded one side of the switch to chasis and ran the other to pin 102 of my ecu harness (this hole was actually vacant in my harness,) then inside of my DIYPNP i ran 102 to flex and enabled LC in tunerstudio and selected my port.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

Ya, on s14's that switch at the top switch is for cruise control cancel. Hence why it is at the top of the clutch throw. So when you push in the clutch pedal it disengages the cruise control (so cruise control does not hold the rpms w/ clutch in), it is also wired through the brakes on manual cars. Obviously brakes only on an auto. Not sure how they wired it on a s13. But from a quick glance of the fsm that is what the switchs look to be for.

That is awesome you got it to work that way PunchDrunk ( wanted someone to verify what I said is correct), I also plan on wiring it that way. I think one little wire running to the ms would annoy me lol. Better to just wire it in with the rest of the harness wires.

Also, if I end up having any troubles with launch control activating during "Roll Racing" , I plan on simply wiring a two prong on/off toggle switch such as the one listed below inline with the wire going to the MS. But I doubt I will need to.

http://www.bang-trade.com/Switches-Ligh ... 56824.html
Last edited by Super Coupe on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't play with it since Friday. But I will need to see about the neutral switch. Makes perfect sense. I know it is something retarded.

EDIT: From reading it, LC was engage just when trying to take off in 1st. But like, I said, I need more time to play with it.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I need to get in on this LC business - could definitely surprise someone's day with it LOL
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.