MSPNP Launch Control

http://www.diyautotune.com
supakat
SuperMod

MSPNP Launch Control

Post by supakat »

I am having some issues setting this up. I was trying to use the stock clutch. I would have it on Flex, and PA0. On Flex and PA0, it would be enabled always when driving. On PE1, it would not engage. I then read about the neutral safety switch. So I made sure it was connected on tranny, still no go. I then took a harness and jumped the wires on the plug to simulate the circuit closed on neutral safety switch. Still no go. This was awhile back.

So being all this never worked, I ran a wire from the clutch switch to the MS. I verified that if I press the clutch in, the circuit is closed by using a test light. Pedal up, light off: pedal down, light on since circuit is completed by the ground from switch. I then removed the clutch switch jumper in the ecu and put my input to be PE1 as emo_tactical has done. To much of my amazement, the car will not LC. If I put it on Flex or PA0, it will be enabled while driving.

I know I am doing something wrong or my wiring is messed up somewhere.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

The correct setting to use is "Flex." Check the voltage at the launch control pin on the DB15 - it should be 0 volts with the clutch released and 5 volts with your foot off the clutch. Let me know what you find, and we'll take it from there.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Well that is a reason I would have to say. The clutch switch is a ground circuit. I thought pin 9 needed a ground to activate some how. Why I thought that I do not know. I will have to wire in a relay from a 5v feed. The way I will do this is by getting a 5v source as the feed and wiring to relay for both feed and activation signal. Then connecting pin 9 to the switched signal. To complete the circuit, I will connect the switched ground from the clutch switch to relay so when clutch is pressed, circuit is completed and 5v trigger goes to MS.

Thanks for the clarification Matt. Always there to offer support. Keep it up.

I did fully understand the documentation, that is all.
If you are using an external switch for launch control, connect pin 9 of the 15 pin connector to a switch, and connect the other side of the switch to a chassis ground. Launch control will be active when the switch is closed.
http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/maindocs.htm
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Just an update.

I was trying to play with the WLED port, pin 4 on the options port. I could not get it to switch on like how I have the ALED port, pin 5 to turn on my e-fan. I wanted to use the 5v feed to charge up my relay. I gave up and started searching the web to step down 12v to 5v. During the read, it was suggested to use a car charger instead of the 7805 regulator. So I found an old charger and wired the 5v to a relay. Then output to MS and switched ground from clutch pedal. So MS has a 5v trigger going to the LC port, pin 9 when clutch pedal pressed. It was 12am when I finished so I could not wake up my neighbors but I am sure it is working correctly.

Also, I was going to wire in a power outlet under the dash for the charger but I think I am going to keep it like I have it now. In order for LC to work, the charger needs to be plugged into my power outlet. This will keep me out of trouble since I should not be 2 stepping all the time especially on the street.

Will let you know how it pans out tomorrow.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Well today, I tested out my 5v LC and no luck. I then reverted back to the basics. I put the clutch jumper back on in the MS, put it on flex, then ran my switch ground to MS. Oddly enough, it worked as designed. I am unsure why it did not work yesterday but I am not complaining.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Anything else happen with LC? I'm using my e-brake switch as the FLEX input (to build boost while entering a drift with the e-brake), it's a ground switch so I just tapped in to the e-brake wire. It worked fine for a few days, but now LC is always on. I know the circuit isn't grounding because the e-brake dash light isn't on. I'll try changing the input, burning it, then changing it back to FLEX and burning it again to see if that fixes it, but I can't have LC coming on in the middle of a competition run.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check the voltage - does it go to 5V with the e-brake off, or is it stuck on?
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Sorry for following up so late. I never got around to checking everything with a multimeter, I have a quick question for clarification though. With the circuit open, there should be 5v between pin 9 and ground, correct? Then with the circuit closed there should be 0v?
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Chris28 wrote:Sorry for following up so late. I never got around to checking everything with a multimeter, I have a quick question for clarification though. With the circuit open, there should be 5v between pin 9 and ground, correct? Then with the circuit closed there should be 0v?
That is correct.