MS2 E-Fan Wiring

http://www.diyautotune.com
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

MS2 E-Fan Wiring

Post by tchida14 »

I am working on putting electric fans into my truck instead of the belt driven fan. I know that I can use one of the spare ports for controlling the fan. I just need help with the wiring part of this. I plan on using IAC1A as the spare output.

Do I need a relay with a constant power source going to it? is there any diagrams that someone can post to help me out?

Thank you for any and all help!

Fan is from a 2010 town and country 8)
supakat
SuperMod

Re: MS2 E-Fan Wiring

Post by supakat »

The signal out of ms can be set as a low 5v to power an external relay. I have a 30 amp relay feeding my taurus fan which is turned on at 185* and shuts off at 175*. MS is the best. If you open TS and go to Extended --> Output Ports, you can enable which port you want and set the settings. Don't forget to burn.

12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

A relay like this http://www.aumih.info/Tips/HeatedClothing/Relay.gif ?

pin 30 being an always hot source, pin 86 connected to IAC1, 87 going to the fan, and pin 85 grounded. Correct me if i am incorrect or chime in if I am missing an inline fuse somewhere if needed.

I also have another issue with my ms settings or wideband output, i'm not sure which is causing this:

I recently got my truck running with the 240 intake manifold and was using the autotune feature on megasquirt for the first time, but I was wondering how you change what afr it tunes to, but I figured out that it uses the afr table. duh :icon-lol: But the problem is the table scale wasn't right so I went to -> tools ->generate afr table, then plugged in my engine info and hit generate, all is good...
until I apply the table. It turns it into lambda values instead of the afr.

Don't know why it's changing the values when I hit apply. It's gotta be an easy settings change.

Let me know if you guys know what's going on here. Thank you for the help supakat
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Under Project Properties, do you have it set for lambda or AFR?
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Yep you got it...30amp relay with a 20amp fuse between battery and relay.

After you apply to AFR Table 1, click Basic --> AFR Table 1 and make sure it is correct. Also, are you going to use dual maps? I tend to leave Table 1 as cruise/idle map then switch on second map once it hits 110kPa.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

huh that's weird I figured I would have had wideband selected not lambda. Thanks a lot Matt!!! :D

Also wondering if the AFR table can only be 12x12 or can you make that 16x16 like the VE table?

And supakat, I think i'm just going to have 1 table setup to start out, maybe down the road I will do that for more resolution, but for now I think going up to 160kpa won't be too big of a deal, resolution wise

I'm gonna get my fan wired up right now and see how that works once I figure out the mounting for that huge thing..
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Got the fan all wired up and mounted nicely, but I went to turn the key and the fuel pump isn't priming, which isn't controlled by ms, and ms ins't powering up... The 3 led's will flash but my laptop will not connect and engine will not run.

I checked the main relay that powers ms and it is getting 12.5v and the pin megasquirt gets power from is only getting 11.7v. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it not wanting to power up.

Any ideas what I may have messed up here?

Edit: After further investigation I realized the db9 wasn't even plugged in... :angry-cussingblack: that was my reason for ms "not wanting to power up" :icon-lol: Earlier when I first went to start the truck with the fan in, I turned the ignition to "on" and the fan instantly started going and then my 20 amp fuse would blow up. I realized just now that for some reason I had a 15 minute iac set up under "startup/idle" because I was trying to set up the output for the fan but confliction errors kept coming up. That explains the fan instantly running because the signal was activating the relay when ms was powered because it thought that the iac1 was for idle. So I turned idle control off, then I set up the programmable output (iac1) to power the fan above 180 degrees.. Fan now does not run in the "on" position as expected.

I do still have a problem. The engine will crank but not start. I am not getting an rpm signal for some reason. Before this fan install and mounting my gauges and megasquirt, the truck was running just fine. I checked the solder joint at the negative of the coil and it is fine and it is getting 12v when key is in the run position. Fuel pump is still not priming either. And will I blow another fuse once I sort out the no start issues and coolant gets above 180* because the fan is drawing more than 20 amps??

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated once again guys.
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

I wouldn't be surprised if the fan pulls more than 20amps. It's not uncommon to have a 40amp fuse/relay for each fan on newer vehicles.

Have you ever had the truck running with the megasquirt ecu? What year is the truck?
RIP Nate(480sx)...
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Yes, I have driven the truck a lot since the megasquirt has been in. It has been running great, but after the fan was put in something was bumped, blown, or messed up somehow.. It is a 94.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is the distributor getting 12 volts with the key on?
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I'm assuming your referring to the 4 wire plug going to the distributor? one wire is getting 11.6 volts, and the rest around 9 volts.

Edit: Would like to also mention that I did some welding on the frame for one of the fan mounts, I'm not sure if that may have shorted something out... I checked the voltage that the fuel pump relay is getting and it is getting 12v on pin 2 and the other end of the coil is getting 10v on pin 1 with the key in the "ON" position... This is not right.. There is no relay connecting the two sides of the coil yet voltage is being sent to both sides of the coil... :wtf: is going on here? I have checked all the fuses and they are all good.

I need to get this thing running and out of the garage because I have my grad party in a week!
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Got the fuel pump issue figured out. I just ran pin 37 to the fuel pump relay instead of the stock ecu running the pump and now the pump will prime with key "on". Only issue now is no rpm signal.. What wire do you want me to check on the distributor harness, Matt?

Is it a possibility that I fried something in the ecu by welding on the frame?? I read online of many people who have welded on vehicles for years without disconnecting the battery or anything else, with no issues. I know it would have been smart to disconnect the battery but I didn't even think of it at the time.

What do you guys think?
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

That is where I wanted you to check the voltage. Can you get any signal in a composite log?
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Nope no signal in the composite logger, Matt.

I would like to add that I have ordered the 54mm trigger wheel from your website and it should be here thursday. I plan on using it after I'm turbo'd for June 20th for a performance shop sponsored event . Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have the truck all wired up for wasted spark with a 420a coil pack if I can't get the no rpm signal figured out. That way I can get the turbo in there!
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try pulling the distributor out and spinning it by hand with the key on and engine off. You should get a 0-12V signal on the signal wire that goes up and down four times for each revolution of the distributor. Do you?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Can he disconnect the injectors so it does not dump fuel?
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Try pulling the distributor out and spinning it by hand with the key on and engine off. You should get a 0-12V signal on the signal wire that goes up and down four times for each revolution of the distributor. Do you?
Will this mess up my timing taking the distributor off? What is this suppose to test my hall effect sensor? What wire am I checking?
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

supakat wrote:Can he disconnect the injectors so it does not dump fuel?
Yes.

This would mess up the timing, but without an RPM signal, you won't be able to set the timing anyway. The goal here is to isolate components and test one part of the system at a time.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I spun the distributor and I got nothing in megasquirt.. Does this mean the hall sensor is bad?

Should I figure this problem out first before going into my megasquirt to mod it for wasted spark?
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

When you spun the distributor, did you measure the signal wire with a multimeter like Matt recommended? If you were just looking at tuner studio or something and saw nothing, you still haven't isolated the problem to the dizzy/sensor, wiring in between, or megasquirt itself.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

BigLoukaT wrote:When you spun the distributor, did you measure the signal wire with a multimeter like Matt recommended?
I did that too but it was just a constant 12v on pin 24