MS3 - spark noise? Something?

http://www.diyautotune.com
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

MS3 - spark noise? Something?

Post by airman »

So I've been battling this problem for a while - since putting together my build, I haven't been able to get it to idle right. Sure, I also determined my BMC along with the alternator was bad and intake cam was a tooth off - not to mention fighting some bad brushes on the starter.

Nevertheless, it's been having a very hard time idling. Kickback while starting, the occasional "whoosh" (err, fireball?) or two out of the intake, all sorts of pops and backfires. It runs like hell.

So, after buttoning up all the other issues I could find, I was able to get it running fair enough to take a high speed log of my trigger events.

The graph is from the data of trigger-to-trigger time. This should be relatively constant if the RPMs are maintaining ~650RPM or so right? Not mine! The first section with the most noise is probably while running the starter to help bring up the RPMs. The high speed logs can only sample ~4 seconds maximum, I believe.

I am going to make sure my distributor wiring is set right....other than that, I don't know what to try. It seems like there's an odd pattern to it. Once it steadies off a little, it looks like it misses every 4th event or so. Bad distributor possible? I don't have a spare to try. Hall effect sensors are pretty simple, though..

This shows some examples w/ descriptions.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/toot ... mples.html

May be backwards wiring, I don't know!
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
supakat
SuperMod

Re: MS3 - spark noise? Something?

Post by supakat »

What fw is loaded? I only say because I just updated mine and it resolved a few issues. Maybe using the noise filter in TS may help. Wish I could be of more help to you. Sorry.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Firmware is the 1.3.1 it looks like. Pretty sure 1.3.2 is the latest. I'll keep tinkering, but I will update my firmware
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

If I get to this guy who has MS3 in which I am going to have to resetup his whole project/tune, I will check his fw and let you know.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Well, figured something out that helped the idle tremendously *facepalm* I had spark A going to 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 4. So - hooray, idle!

Still watching the RPM gauge jump around, though. It seems to lose sync any time I touch the throttle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qcroi26i37c5 ... .52.51.csv
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post a tooth log instead of a composite log? I find the tooth logs are a bit easier to evaluate tiny changes in RPM with, as you can just go by the changes in the height of the bars and any tiny difference will really jump out at you.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Okay sure thing. I will post a tooth log first thing today after work.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Very unusual, I was out of town this weekend. Before I left, I had been able to get the car to idle. Came back, and I had configuration errors on the MS3. It somehow got set to MAP phase control for cam position sensing. Put it back to JS10. Got rid of the config error, but it wouldn't start.

So, I only have trigger logs during starting.

airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Matt, is there anything you can suggest?

I am receiving support through email, but only one response a day is killing me.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I know how it is having issues and getting one email a day with just simple questions, that could be answered and problems solved with a quick phone call, it SUCKS. Have you tried noise filtering?

That's what matt suggested to me when my logs looked similar to that last fall. But my truck would drive fine, with a few hiccups here and there while cruising.

If filtering doesn't help, you're just going to have to wait for the smart people to respond... *cough* *cough* Matt. Give him a break though, he probably gets so many emails about little issues like this... I bug him at least once a month for help/support.
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

So far, I don't have anything to add over what I posted in your thread on MSExtra.com. I think it can be fixed with trim pot adjustment.

I believe Phil or I sent the phone number as well.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!