Project KA24E(T)!!! NEW BUILD PAGE

Yup, post them single slammers here....
KA24ETZTM
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Project KA24E(T)!!! Interior Pics

Post by KA24ETZTM »

Just wanted to give an update. Nelson240sx man I haven't seen you on here in forever btw. Good to see your still here. So unfortunatley I have a bit of bad news. I ended up blowing the head gasket and destroying my cylinder head. I was preparing the car for a race one night and had been on the phone with AEM in California for over a week trying to solve the issue with the ecu not reading speed. In a inpatient attempt to test the anti-lag I forgot to turn the boost down and launched the car at over 20lbs of boost. The head lifted and popped between cylinder 3 & 4.

I had been having head lift issues over 15lbs and was pressurizing the coolant system. After some research I determined the cause of the problem. I built my motor long before they had an official ka head stud kit. At the time many of the torque specs floating on ka-t were 60ft lbs. After reading an extensive thread on this site about why this was such a huge misunderstanding I found tons of cars with the same issue. The correct torque is 70ft lbs per ARP. Hopefully this next setup goes better. I am in the process of machining the head and will have her re-assembled soon. Hopefully a new tune by fall. In the mean time here is some of the damage. She's coming back better and stronger than ever :crossfingers:

ImageImage
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ka24etztm/videos
My Original Build Thread
: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35224
Current Build Status: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=61790
nis720

Re: Project KA24E(T)!!! Update 7/14

Post by nis720 »

Ouch... that sucks. This car is still an inspiration for me to stick with my Single Cam KA.
Still plays with trucks
http://members.cardomain.com/nis720
All anybody wants is a normal life and a cool car... most people settle for the car - Titus.
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Nice build man, hope you work this set back out!
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
KA24ETZTM

Post by KA24ETZTM »

Gotenks64 wrote:Nice build man, hope you work this set back out!
Thanks I appreciate it Gotenks64, that being said its time for an update. I got the car back and running this past week and drove her to her new garage and resting spot. Car seems to be running decent but does need some fresh gas. Got to clean the car extremely bad. Its been sitting outside at a persons place who will remain anonymous.

Unfortunately they would not let me keep it in there spare garage space and I picked up a few dents from some careless mowing which pissed me off. Also am having paint crack on the front and rear bumpers. Not sure if thats from to much hardener in the paint or what. Luckily I still have plenty of paint so with a little TLC she'll be looking good again soon.

I can finally give her the home she deserves. Once I get a few things worked out Im going to be taking her back for a final tune. Car has bigger valves now so hopefully I can squeeze a bit more power out of the ole single cam. Im planning in October to drive the car and visit my cousin in Tampa and will probably be in the Orlando area as well. If anyone is around let me know. Also gonna make a stop and see Omar at O&J Performance. My cousin has a pretty nasty DSM so we are going to see if we can get into some friendly competition with some locals he knows. Thanks again for all who follow this build. There are some major plans this fall to hit the track finally and get some solid times. Stay Tuned.
My Original Build Thread
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i love this thread, so much inspiration. thanks man!
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
dzaster
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by dzaster »

KA24ETZTM, I was recently putting together a carbon fiber panel like you have and had the labeling ribbon you used as thats what came with labeler. Went out and picked up the clear label with white text. IMO, it looks far better(see image below). Figure I share that since you obviously care as you seem pretty detail oriented.

BTW, got a spare SOHC longblock that I'm looking to rebuild something little more reliable(although this unknown "mile'er", so far has been champ even at decent boost levels) and hoping your open to some brain picking.
KA24ETZTM

Post by KA24ETZTM »

[quote="dzaster"]KA24ETZTM, I was recently putting together a carbon fiber panel like you have and had the labeling ribbon you used as thats what came with labeler. Went out and picked up the clear label with white text. IMO, it looks far better(see image below). Figure I share that since you obviously care as you seem pretty detail oriented.

BTW, got a spare SOHC longblock that I'm looking to rebuild something little more reliable(although this unknown "mile'er", so far has been champ even at decent boost levels) and hoping your open to some brain picking.[/quot

Thats pretty cool, didn't even know they made that. I had the label maker at work and just took advantage of it. Im pretty picky about little details. Probably why it took me so long to finish my car but I guess the results speak for itself. That looks a lot cleaner though and yea Im always open to questions just PM me.
My Original Build Thread
KA24ETZTM

Post by KA24ETZTM »

Well Guys, I finally have the car back on the road....Let me say that it has not been a fun return. I have had nothing but gremlins to deal with. I was having major fueling issues for one. Just recently bought a Fuelab 828 filter which should keep me from running lean and keep me from clogging my injectors. Also was having serious issues with my radiator. As you all know i was having major head lifting issues previous to this gasket replacement. Well the coolant system is deff sealed now. My radiator was swelling from this stupid high pressure cap. I put a factory unit on and it has made a huge difference. Coolant system performs normally for once.

After so many problems and learning so much from other builds and seeing that I became a test bed in a sense for a lot of builds, some major upgrades are going to be in order when I get the money. I am going to be switching to RB26 head studs and a Cosworth Gasket in the future. Im going to send this car into the upper 600s if possible. This car has been a major learning tool. Until then I hope 70ft lbs on these Saturn studs hold 25lbs of boost cause Im taking the car to FL2K14 in 2 weeks. If anyone will be in town and want to get up let me know.
My Original Build Thread
s14fiend

Re: Project KA24E(T)!!! Update...FL2K14 BOUND

Post by s14fiend »

Nice sucks to hear of the hardship part.... I may go As a spectator in my daily.
KA24ETZTM

Re: Project KA24E(T)!!! NEW BUILD PAGE

Post by KA24ETZTM »

HUGE CHANGES COMING TO THIS BUILD....PLEASE REFER TO NEW BUILD PAGE BELOW,

600+ or BUST!!!!

http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=40& ... 25#p524725
My Original Build Thread
Liteemup39496

Post by Liteemup39496 »

well thats news on the ARP's i torqued down my saturn studs to stock specs .

i haven't checked this thread in a while, any vid's of the car on the road? how does it handle punching 3rd on open highway?
'89 KAe-T Coupe - on the road to a goal of 400whp with A/C
'91 Hatch - VH45 powered, track duty
'05 Titan - I/H/E VK56 - Tow rig and Daily
Single Jingle love
KA24ETZTM

Post by KA24ETZTM »

Liteemup39496 wrote:well thats news on the ARP's i torqued down my saturn studs to stock specs .

i haven't checked this thread in a while, any vid's of the car on the road? how does it handle punching 3rd on open highway?

I have some different links on youtube...same channel as this screen name. Car ran great other than blowing gaskets, lifting the head, and pressurizing the coolant system. Well thats a lot of stuff but when the car ran solid it ran solid. Next season this car is coming back with a vengeance.
My Original Build Thread
hersheskuirt

Post by hersheskuirt »

Haven't talked in some time. I hate to see you were still having head lifting issues. I hope you get everything worked out.