KA24E Alternator Upgrade

Yup, post them single slammers here....
SOHC 240SX
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

KA24E Alternator Upgrade

Post by SOHC 240SX »

I decided to post this up to help others who couldn't make heads or tails of the posts on Nico. Hopefully this explaination of this install is a lot easier to understand and easier for you guys to do.

First you need to get an Alternator from any 93-98 Nissan Quest 3.0L
The 93-98 Quest alternator is on the left, and the KA24E alternator is on the right. They have the same bolt pattern. This conversion will upgrade your electrical system from an 80 amp to 110 amp alternator.
The Quest alternator will not bolt on to the lower alternator mounting bracket on the KA24E motor. The alternator bolt is too big, so the pivot bolt holes have to be drilled out. I use a 3/8" drill bit. But the hole was still to small to fit the bolt thru. So I used a round metal file and filed the hole just a little bit bigger. I would recommend a 25/64" or 13/32" drill bit for closer size fit.
Once the Quest alternator was bolted on, it would not pivot upwards towards the motor because the top interal threaded boss sticks out too far and it hits the adusting bracket. Not only will it not rotate inwards, the pulleys do not line up. The alternator pulley sticks out too far out as well. It became obvious that the entire alternator needs to be pushed back.
The Quest alternator housing was removed and the front bolt hole (Right X) was machined on the back size to be .29" thinner. This will push or sit the alternator futher back towards the center of the motor. A corresponding thick washer was placed on the back side of the alternator (Left X) so that the housing doesn't crack or crush when tighten with the rear nut on the bolt.
Here is the view from the top side to show the alternator sits in its proper place. The top internal threaded boss now sits behind the adjustment bracket and the alternator pulley is aligned with the water pump and center pulley of the crank.
With the Quest alternator now in proper place, it became clear that the OEM KA24E alternator belt would not fit. It was too short. We tried using the OEM KA24E A/C belt and it did fit. The problem was it was not long enough. I went up 2 sizes longer than the stock A/C belt and got the perfect fit. I used an Autozone belt, Part Number 372K4 (Gates K040372)
As you can see, the belt length is perfect. The alternator adjustment bolt sits right in the middle of the slot of the adjustment bracket. For even better adjustment, the slot was machined wider on the adjustment bracket.
The perfect swap conversion to give my baby a bit more juice. If you decide to run an underdrive crank pulley, you will probably need a different belt size.

If you guys have any questions on anything I missed, let me know. Because I moved the alternator back, I aligned the pulleys so that I used the outer 3 ribs on the Quest pulley.
Last edited by SOHC 240SX on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-los
outlaw09
240sx Wannabe

alternator

Post by outlaw09 »

good write up this might be a sticky
SOHC 240SX
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by SOHC 240SX »

I purchased the alternator for a low sweet price on ebay. Here is the ebay store from the vender I purchased it from:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Grand-Alter ... QQ_armrsZ1

Apparently, their is a 125 AMP version alternator for the same years, make, and model Quest. IF the housing is EXACTLY the same as the 110 AMP alternator, then the conversion would be the same. If I ever have to replace my new alternator when it fails, then I can test out the installation for the 125 AMP version and post my results here. But that may be a while, so if anyone beats me to it, please take notes and pictures and post your findings here. It would be interesting to know if fits just as easy. But the 110 AMP version should be more than plenty for the KA24E running mild electrical components.
-los
ruili1018
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by ruili1018 »

awsome guild i would of done this if my motor didnt die
ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ILuvS13s »

Sorry to pull up this thread, but I was looking for rebuild parts for my Quest alt when I came across a pretty cool site. They manufacture alternator parts. Well I was looking for a Mitsubishi Electric 110amp alt or Quest alt for short. I then noticed they have another alt that looks almost exactly like it, which is the 125amp Quest alt.

Well judging by the pictures, and like you stated, they look like they have the exact same body, the 125amp just pretty much have a larger rectifier, which provides the ac/dc conversion.

The only difference really was one was for a VG30e and the other is for the VG33e.
Below are links to the actual alts, each one has front and rear pictures of the alt. They are taken at different angles, so it throws them off a little, but if you look closely.. I beleive they are indeed the same body.

This is the one for the VG30e
http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.asp ... -1601-01MI

This is the one for the VG33e
http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.asp ... -2269-01MI

Also, I believe if the recitfier in the 110amp alt is measured.. I beleive it is 100mm wide, if so you could buy a new 130 amp rectifier for $39 through this place. I need to take my Quest alt apart again soon, and Ill meaure the size of the rectifier.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/rectifier-28.aspx
240drew wrote:will someone go thru and show me how to wipe my ass? I am really confused, does the paper go in? ( I am just kidding) I am a bit bored.
R34SR wrote:save a tree, drag your ass on the grass.
RIP Nate Moore (480sx)We will never forget you.

Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

anybody still got pictures of this mod...alt went out and im upgrading...im at the part where the top thread housing sticks out to far....should i grind it off to fit or is there another way?? email ninefivah@gmail.com or pm me...thnks guys
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
2hunglow1standhi
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: KA24E Alternator Upgrade

Post by 2hunglow1standhi »

Yes Grind off about 1/4" of the top front of the top bolt hole, you can find many How to's on this searching the D21/Frontier forums also, Both for the KA24E/DE. Most of us do this for a cheap mod to run huge amplifiers and winches on our trucks. just Google "Quest Alternator Upgrade". Enjoy!
Saving KA24's... One at a time...
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Re: KA24E Alternator Upgrade

Post by Turnstyles »

2hunglow1standhi wrote:Yes Grind off about 1/4" of the top front of the top bolt hole, you can find many How to's on this searching the D21/Frontier forums also, Both for the KA24E/DE. Most of us do this for a cheap mod to run huge amplifiers and winches on our trucks. just Google "Quest Alternator Upgrade". Enjoy!

what about the upper bracket? trying to understand what need to be drilled to line the bolt holes, i guess i ll see when i cut the top housing down, appreciate your reply man 8)
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters