what cam?

Yup, post them single slammers here....
tom550
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

what cam?

Post by tom550 »

it says the c.440.h has a power band from 2k-7k

what other cams have near the same power band? im looking at the oandj Mech cams. but i dont know what thier power bands are.

same with the jwt cam. all it says is it has a good torque curve.

so far im looking at the colt cam but thats mostly cuz i dont know much about cams. and i like the idea of that huge power band.
cxlumpy
NooB

Post by cxlumpy »

i have the o&j stage 2 hydro cam and i just finished a class at my auto school learning how to degree a cam. usually manufactures do advertised measurements and not actual. the lift on the stage 2 cam say that its a .455 int/exh and a 270 duration. its usually a little less of what they advertised but to be honest i felt a huge difference with the cam.
get what ever cam you have but make sure you do all the other things to help the head flow better port polish match port valves/springs ect.
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Get the colt tri-flow 2.

The progressive intake valve action gives wayyy better idle vacuum and intake velocity. Helps a ton if you've removed the flappers and you've stripped the intake manifold down.

I switched from the 404 to this cam and my idle bumped up 400rpm and increased by 4 psi with no change to the throttle body idle setting (idle increased from increased vacuum and stronger idle charge)

Its a great cam and pulls hard to 7500 RPM. I would get this one again every time.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I just looked at those cam specs. And I think between the specs, and Gladman vouching for real-world usage, I would go with the Tri-Flow 2.
But that's just me. I've been reading more and more about the E motor as of lately. I have a hard-on for an E motor with a fat cam and ITB's just for the gigglez...
tom550

Post by tom550 »

so the one i said?

i decided like yesterday im just going to get that one. it says power band 2k to 7k and that sounds great to me. and if jordan says it goes to 7500 then thats even better. and makes me want to just go get a loan and build my head already. lol

BTW how much is it? i sent them a email but i dont think they come back till the 4th.

also has anyone replaced thier valve seals without taking the head off? im building a head on the side. but my current head has blown valve seals. im hoping i can build the head then start on the bottom end before something serious happens to my engine.

Oh yea. Where or what valve springs do you use? I can't find any for the E. Not aftermarket ones at least. I read that a ford bronco has the same springs or something?
KoukiKAT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by KoukiKAT »

I think the Nismo catalog has some KA24E valve gear, including cams, springs, etc. I just wish the dumbasses would it put it up online instead of having to order the paper catalog.
The 240SX is dead. Long live the 240SX!
tom550

Post by tom550 »

really? wow im not going to wait for that. and most nismo products i dont like. their cars are good but the things they make have never intrested me. if i could order them online i might of looked.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

Call and talk to the guys at O&J. They have a mad hookup on 'E' motor stuff. If not, then they know where to find it.

I'll try to dig it up for you; but you can supposedly use some Pioneer brand springs in the E and they work great. *edit*blah blah, some crap that wasn't true*

*edit*
Found some info:
Pioneer Inc Automotive Products, can be bought from Summit Racing
Intake Part Number: RV-1034-4 *set of 4, so buy qty 2*
Exhaust Part Number: RV-611-4 *set of 4*

And you can just use your stock inner springs with these, or order new Nissan ones.

Hope that helps!

~Eric
tom550

Post by tom550 »

this is what im working with for valve springs right now. this is what im searcing for.
tastyratz wrote:I also wanted to add- when purchasing the sohc valve springs you have more options.
I noticed that the Pioneer springs mentioned were on backorder from summit which was acceptable to me. I made some phone calls to Federal mogul and found their application list off their website.
http://www.21cgt.com/FMWebCatalog/frmSpecification.aspx
I found the appropriate part number that looks like a good candidate which sure enough cross references the same to the pioneer spring listed. The springs are off a 1968 ford bronco 4.7l 289ci engine (also found in lots of other 60s fords).

You can now look that up anywhere and get whatever valve springs your heart desires. I opted for some federal mogul sealed power VS672 springs off rockauto for only a buck and a half each. Hope this helps someone else not looking to wait.
or
Finding performance valves springs sure did take some time. But we finally found them. After taking measurements of the install height and physical dimentions of the stock springs and retainers, we were able to find stiffer valve springs. The new springs are the same size as stock spring and work with the factory retainers. They increased the pressure by about 20 lbs over the stock springs for the intake and exhaust sides. This also will help to prevent valve float and also allow the valve train to rev higher. We decided not to get too crazy increasing the valve seat pressure, because it can cause premature wear or damage to the cam. So the decision was made to only replace the outer springs with stiffer ones. The inner springs will remain stock.

Pioneer Inc Automotive Products
Intake Part Number:RV-1034-4
Exhaust Part Number: RV-611-4
Intake - PIO-RV-1034-4 - $16.99 per box (4pieces in a box)
Exhaust - PIO-RV611-4 - $7.69 a box
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I ordered my valve springs from Summit. The part numbers above are good.

You CAN replace valve springs and seals without pulling your head, you just have to pull out the cam and use compressed air on the plug hole to keep the valves shut. You have to use one of the spring compressors that does all the work from above.
tom550

Post by tom550 »

cool cuz im probably going to try doing it tomorrow. then start on building a spare head.
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

Colt cams are amazing cams and Geoff (the owner of Colt Cams) is a very brilliant man who knows what he's doing. The Tri-flow technology he has been using for years is ridiculous. It gives you almost stock idle with an outrageous mid-range and top end without the apparent down sides that most larger cams have. I've personally worked with me on developing a set of cams for my old Hyundai Beta motor because no one else makes cams for them. If you do chose to go with them, you will not be disappointed. The only reason I probably won't go with them is that I don't want to spend that kind of dough on a set of cams for my DE.
tom550

Post by tom550 »

Jordan Gladman wrote:I ordered my valve springs from Summit. The part numbers above are good.
Would you say these are a upgrade or just a new stock spring? I want then to be able to handle some high rpms.
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Upgrade for sure, gives you piece of mind when you're taking the revs up and doesnt cost all that much. You're only replacing the outer spring, you shouldnt have to get new inner springs.
tom550

Post by tom550 »

well fixed the leaking seals. i hope that was wrong with it ill see today.

i could of just had a dream and thought it was real, but i remember someone saying if i get the oj Mechanical Lifters then i can just drop the tri 2 in without any machine work? did i just dream this? cuz i cant seem to find where i read that.

EDIT: nvm i found where i read that.
north
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by north »

What is required when purchasing/installing the colt cam? Any regrinding or head upgrades?
1989 S13 KA-T
550cc Injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump
Arias 8.8:1 Pistons
Cryo'd rods/block
Port/polish head
.20 over
Nistune
T3/T04E Turbo
FMIC
Mishimoto Radiator
Stage 5 Competition Clutch
tom550

Post by tom550 »

Mechanical rocker arms and springs you can pick both up from colt.

I think you only have to use those with the tri flow 2 cam.

Just check colts site if you can't get your info you want email colt and o and j they will help.