Calling ALL Topmount Ka-e Owners!

Yup, post them single slammers here....
LowNslow
Dreams of owning a 240!

Calling ALL Topmount Ka-e Owners!

Post by LowNslow »

Alright... So bought a mani from gladman a while back at the start of my build, when we dropped everything into the car it needed some tweeking to clear the BMC.. Needless to say, this tweek put me in such a position that I roast plug wires on 30min drives..

Needless to say Life sucks In this situation..

There is the turbo mani as it sits.. I currently have Wire sleaths as in the picture, wrapped in DEI high temp wire wrap.. Its the stuff with the tinfoil looking stuff on it..

And have just purchased a DEI Ti - Turbo blanket..

Here is the clearance issues..

And a picture of the Dei heat wrap with the aluminized **** burnt off..

I guess my question is, Is there anything else I can do in this situation that I havent exhausted, I saw a couple pics of Mark Washingtons car and it looks like has very similar clearance issues.. I have tried the straight booted plugs, 90* boots..

So I guess I am looking for:

A Pic of your setup
Manifold
What you paid for the mani
and plug clearence..

I really like the O&j mani, But realisticly 800 some odd dollars for a mild mani is robbery when they are saying they will do it out of stainless for the same price..

I am at my wits end and just tying to get out of this the cheapst way possible, I havent driven my car in 7 months.. Have missed 4 track days.. and just want to drive the POS!
nis720
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by nis720 »

I found the JGS manifold has the best clearance for my setup.

Still plays with trucks
http://members.cardomain.com/nis720
All anybody wants is a normal life and a cool car... most people settle for the car - Titus.
Jordan Gladman
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I will always sell people top mount manifolds, but never without a warning. This problem is a huge pain, I ran a top mount on my last setup and it was doing the same thing. I wrapped the turbine housing with a tight fit turbo blanket and used the little heat socks for the plug wires, they were extra long and slid right over the plug boots. Seemed to take care of that problem.

The JGS has awesome clearance but at the expense of performance. I ran a few off center manifolds when I was coming up with my own and there was definately some performance sacrifice.

Sidemount/bottom mount FTW.

"Holy clearance Batman"

/lame quotes

You can see the clearance I had on my last setup here, the little heat boots were quite long.

WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
wannaboost?
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by wannaboost? »

I have this EXACT issue and have found a solution I believe. Good Guys car show was just in Dallas and i spent a lot of time talking to Accel about this. They have a new ceramic boot that is not flexible but can withstand virtually any heat.

http://www.motorator.com/blog/hot-rods- ... amic-wires

I bought the "diy" kit with 90* ends. Put the 90* on the plug and run the wires straight down and along the underside of the manifold. I also have the Mr Gasket fire aluminum sleeving for the high temp silicone part of the wire for extra insurance.

Build.Boost.Break.Repeat.
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Mark Washington »

JGS 4TW I use some DEI plug boots and Taylor wires. High temp wires and boots over them + Taylor 8'' blue boots doubled up. I also made a heat shield that bolts on the valve cover. The turbo blanke you are using is the best you can get. I have tries plenty
the turbonetics one is a good price but failed within the first event.

I would recomend having your exhaust housing ceramic coated. Tune has alot to do with your EGT so I would also look into that.

Good luck I feel your pain been there and its nice when your plugs last all day.

When I buy plugs I get a universal V8 kit so I can run them long.
Do you have a heat shield for the brake master?

I have had heat shrink my throttle cable housing, melt master reservoier,burn plug wires,all gaskets related, cracked header broken studs ect ect and all said and done ,
when you replace it with better stuff your just wasting money till you get it tuned.
After running on the Dyno and seeing red hot header in your face it makes you think.
What can I do to stop this?... :roll:
速い速い シルビア ターボターボ
Its not the size of the turbo,Its how you spool it.
kingkong8247
240sx Wannabe

Post by kingkong8247 »

You can see in my two pics the heat shielding I used. First time I drove the car with the top mount it melted the wires in no time. I put the heat shielding on and for the two years I daily drove the car I had no problems with melted wires.
Here are the pics
I think it is the moroso high temp wire sleeves. They cover everything all the way down to the spark plug basically.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-Hig ... 7/10002/-1

I'll double check next time I'm at the garage with my car.
LowNslow
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by LowNslow »

It looks like all of you guys have more clearance than I do.. Herm.. I will give my blanket a go.. but I dont think it will solve the issue to the point of the car being reliable..

So.. Lets Talk manifolds?

Gladman, chime in? Lets hear your Woes about the offcentered mani ala JGS style..

How would it stack up against a Sched10 mild mani built similar to the O&J mani that may not be equal length?

Flow wise what is my best bet?

Cost efficiancy here is hugee!!
di-devol

Post by di-devol »

CXracing manifold... Same issue,. Wires actually caught fire, setting up a pretty good engine fire lol.

Moved to a JGS, no problems after that.

SOHC-T: Arias 8.8 Pistons, AMS Sportsman rods w/ ARP rod bolts, Clevite main and rod bearings, Arp main and head studs, Portmatched head, Garrett TO4E 50 trim .60 .63 a/r, Cxracing FMIC-Intercooler piping, Greddy rs bov, Tial 38mm wastegate, Lc-1 WB, Jgs DP, circut sport sr downpipe, CXracing exhaust, O&J stage2 cam, Aem EMS.

Finally 300hp
Mark Washington
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Mark Washington »

Im down for a group buy JGS manifold.
速い速い シルビア ターボターボ
Its not the size of the turbo,Its how you spool it.
khmer1
240sx Wannabe

Post by khmer1 »

hey del devol where did you put your maf on your setup and can i get some pictures?
di-devol

Post by di-devol »

We used aem ems with a map sensor. No more maf =]
SOHC-T: Arias 8.8 Pistons, AMS Sportsman rods w/ ARP rod bolts, Clevite main and rod bearings, Arp main and head studs, Portmatched head, Garrett TO4E 50 trim .60 .63 a/r, Cxracing FMIC-Intercooler piping, Greddy rs bov, Tial 38mm wastegate, Lc-1 WB, Jgs DP, circut sport sr downpipe, CXracing exhaust, O&J stage2 cam, Aem EMS.

Finally 300hp
undesiredshoe
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by undesiredshoe »

Sidemount manifolds ftw
ImageStock block ka24e - 12.81 @ 113mph
jeremy242
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by jeremy242 »

i ran a jgs, with plug boots, and a turbo blanket. I also made a custom shield that bolted into the plug wire holders on the valve cover. It was a basic shield that seperated the wires from the turbo.