Running Extremely Rich

Yup, post them single slammers here....
90Ka24et
Dreams of owning a 240!

Running Extremely Rich

Post by 90Ka24et »

So ive finally got my Ka-t running decently but now I am stuck with yet another problem. My car seems to be running extremely rich. I am running 550cc injectors with a new tune and at idle my cars AFR's are reading around 10. I'm pretty sure my timing is off since I am waiting for my timing light to come in but for now I have the car idling fine. If I take it down the road my AFR's stick around 10 at maybe 25% throttle. If I give it anymore it just reads rich on my wideband and the car starts to miss like crazy. It will build boost but doesn't want to climb past 4000 rpms which I have only tried that once because I want to get this timing set 100%

My question is, with my ECU tuned for a z32 Maf and 550cc injectors, would an SAFC be very helpful in my situation? It seems highly unlikely to me that im having a spark blow out issue due to the fact that i'm running extremely rich out of boost at low rpms. Also ive changed the plugs numerous times, cap, wires, even another distributor. Any help from you KA-T Gurus would be much appreciated!
jim_himself
Learners Permit

Post by jim_himself »

I am by no means in expert, but when I got my car it was doing a similar thing. It turned out that my MAF was bad. Start your car and unplug the MAF if it does the same thing as when the MAF is plugged in it is most likely the problem. I hope that helps!
di-devol
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by di-devol »

Cheek for a boost leak, make sure all of your couplers are tight,
SOHC-T: Arias 8.8 Pistons, AMS Sportsman rods w/ ARP rod bolts, Clevite main and rod bearings, Arp main and head studs, Portmatched head, Garrett TO4E 50 trim .60 .63 a/r, Cxracing FMIC-Intercooler piping, Greddy rs bov, Tial 38mm wastegate, Lc-1 WB, Jgs DP, circut sport sr downpipe, CXracing exhaust, O&J stage2 cam, Aem EMS.

Finally 300hp
90Ka24et
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 90Ka24et »

Un plugged the maf from the car while it was running and it seemed to hesitate a little bit. I got my afrs up to 14 at idle and they dropped to 11 after unplugging the maf. Plugged it back up and the car died.

As far as a boost leak goes I did find that my vacuum line from my wastegate to my hot pipe wasn't even clamped but I find it hard to believe it would cause this much of an issue. I took it down the road again today after messing with my timing a little bit and it's still reading rich across the board with like 20% + throttle. would an SAFC be able to take away this much fuel from my 550cc injectors?
boostedPOS
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by boostedPOS »

Who tuned your ECU? Did they tune it correctly? Also does it sound like it's misfiring? If it's misfiring it can cause your gauge to read rich because there is so much unburnt fuel. I had that problem with my car. I had a ***** up spark plug wire that would only misfire under boost and it felt like my car was falling flat on its face.

Also are you running one ground from the n62 maf to the chasis and the other to the wiring harness? If you have a volt meter i would check the voltage that the maf is sending to the ecu and make sure that is right. Just some things to think about.
90Ka24et
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 90Ka24et »

John @ JK Tuning helped me out and tuned the ECU. I'm pretty sure my car wouldn't even run with the 550cc Injectors and N62 maf on a stock ECU. At first I had my maf wired wrong but corrected it and ran both grounds to the harness. I took up your suggestion a few weeks ago and ran a separate ground to the chassis to see if it would help but its still running the same. It's running so rich to where I have mistaken my oil for a blown head gasket but I have no loss of coolant it's just THAT much fuel being dumped in.

As far as the misfire it doesn't seem to miss until I give it throttle. I'm looking for new injector O rings because what I am using now aren't even the correct O Rings for the Deatschwerk injectors which I read up can cause it to dump a good amount of fuel if its not sealed correctly. Also I am going to look into the fuel pressure regulator.