Knocking ka24e? Help!

Yup, post them single slammers here....
patricksohc
NooB

Knocking ka24e? Help!

Post by patricksohc »

whats up guys i just got my first 1990 240sx and i been driving it around for a while and today when i started the car it idled for a couple of seconds at low revs and just died on me. i started it again, gave it some gas and it stayed on but with a weird knocking noise from the engine.? Does any one know what could be the problem ?
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: Knocking ka24e? Help!

Post by shift_down »

What did you try to do to diagnose this problem?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
patricksohc
NooB

Post by patricksohc »

honestly im a noob lol i dont even know where to start
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Well you need to start by reading and researching, then I will help you.
You cannot expect someone to do the work for you. We were all noobs once, but we got past that stage by reading and researching. If you have not taken any steps to help yourself, why should anyone help you?

not trying to be a dick, you will understand that I am helping you more than you know.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

Your car could've run out of oil and a) fried your bearings further by "getting on it for a bit" or it could just be your lifters saying put some freakin oil in me! But shift is right... Research research research then ask. Also try to provide more info that its knocking and I don't know why. I will tell you this... You are your engines worst enemy if you don't know what you're doing. You have a very VERY simple engine both mechanically and electronically. Google some simple techniques to find where the knock is coming from and find at least three things you think it could be... Fix those and if that fails try the others... Asking this forum for help is going to take a lot longer than just getting your hands dirty and fixing it. Put oil in your car and check it frequently! 240sx's are awesome, they're simple and responsive. Ka24's are simple and responsive. Be simple and responsive... Go research, your car will thank you with many fun drives! Oh yeah... Did I mention to put oil in your car? And don't make problems worse by adding gas to the problem, if your engine isn't running right turn it off.
"Build it, have fun with it, break it, and rebuild it." Brian Parker
"Shiny fittings are for ricers, race cars have zip ties and hose clamps." Barton Black
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I would start by going to youtube and looking for 'ka24e (or de for that matter) knocking' and listen. Compare to see what it sounds like, find something similar. Share that with us, or take a video and show us yourself.

A large screwdriver or ratchet extension is a good listening tool while the engine is running (be careful!). Hold the handle/one end up to your ear and touch the other end to the block/area. You can usually find the loudest area pretty quickly and get an idea where the noise is coming from (bottom end aka rod bearings? or top aka valves or something).

To summarize - in order for us to help you, you gotta help us 8)
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
dzaster
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by dzaster »

I don't know that I'd suggest he take a sharp/blunt object and put it to his ear like a stethoscope in a running motor with moving parts. Don't think this is for him.

Cameras and YouTube vids don't replicate sound very well, so going there for a knock comparison IMO, isn't the best option.

I'd suggest finding someone, preferably a friend, to have a look at it with you. Pay attention and ask him/her questions about the diagnosing process.

Definitely check oil level.