Car is very slow after 5 speed swap. Help please

Yup, post them single slammers here....
ATL240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Car is very slow after 5 speed swap. Help please

Post by ATL240 »

Basically I did a 5 speed swap on my 1990 240sx with the stock single cam. I used a transmission from an s14 KA and now the car feels very very slow.The motor free revs perfect but when I drive it feels sluggish. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Re: Car is very slow after 5 speed swap. Help please

Post by Adrenalin »

Sounds interesting? Is this KA24eT or just Ka24e?
If you do have turbo (and you had the car turbo with the auto box), you may experience slower turbo spool with the manual gearbox.
Auto transmissions put a constant load on the engine (when in drive) and as a result produces more pressure in the exhaust manifold and a much quicker turbo spool.

If this is not the issue, the only thing I can think of is issues with the 5 speed install.
Did you put a new clutch in when you did the 5 speed swap?
Does it feel like the clutch is slipping, or can you smell clutch burn when driving?
What diff ratio do you have? Does the combination of the diff and the 5 speed give you shorter gears compared to the auto?

Good luck.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
ATL240

Post by ATL240 »

It's a stock ka24e, no turbo. The differential is stock, clutch is new, I was thinking the s14 KA transmission could have a different gear ratio also. But then again so many people do 5 speed swaps and I've never heard of this problem.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

are you using a 2 peice driveshaft?...if so its probably not on straight at the middle piece, i saved myself an headache and when 1 piece from driveshaft shop...thats if you used a 2 piece (IMO a pain to put on straight)....only other things i can think of is: wrong gear oil, the clutch setup, using a used flywheel without proper re-surface, i use a de tranmission on mine from a s14 and have no issues...did you break in the clutch before going high rpms on it? make sure you fill up clutch master cylinder good and bleed it for air trapped in it....thats all i can think of, all of which i had to do on my swap 2009, still running strong.
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

sorry for the typos, in a rush lol
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
bova17
Learners Permit

Post by bova17 »

i have to ask, is the ac on?
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Check the timing maybe?
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
ATL240

Post by ATL240 »

Ac is not on haha. Yeah, I'm gonna check the timing next. I hate that I can't hook the computer up to consult because its a 1990.